Checking under boat with a go pro

AquaholicM31

Visit site
I've got a GoPro i use for other things (skiing) and decided to bring it on-board last year. I managed to find a pole mount for it that fits on the boathook so i can use it on an 8ft pole.
Last year on one trip my engine was making a lot of noise / vibration in gear so out came the gopro and boathook to take a quick look underneath (whilst sailing slowly). A quick rummage under the boat with the gopro streaming the video to my phone i could see the problem was the stripper had bent / broke.
Really really useful tool to have on board in my opinion, especially if you already own one!

dansar

Visit site
Last year I checked as much as I could see with my Muvi camera. Ideal for checking the prop for any weed, rope and fishing line. Also handy for looking at bow thruster anodes and props.

Attachments

• Snapshot 1 (07-04-2017 13-54).jpg
    Snapshot 1 (07-04-2017 13-54).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0

bobgarrett

Visit site
I had a problem with my prop anodes and at the end of last year taped my cheap Kodak video camera to my boat hook. It is waterproof to 1m which turned out to be enough. I waved it (the camera) about a lot as it was difficult to be sure where it was pointing but it worked. I knew my anodes had gone.

tillergirl

Visit site
Salcott Creek mooring, River Blackwater -end of season look-see

Propellor.jpg

SJ4000 camera. Perfectly good, just silty water!

It's upside down, looking up - if you follow me.

Plum

Visit site
Salcott Creek mooring, River Blackwater -end of season look-see

Propellor.jpg

SJ4000 camera. Perfectly good, just silty water!

It's upside down, looking up - if you follow me.

That is good but were you just waving the camera around hoping to record the prop or were you streaming the image to your phone so you could align the camera while recording?

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum

Visit site
I've got a GoPro i use for other things (skiing) and decided to bring it on-board last year. I managed to find a pole mount for it that fits on the boathook so i can use it on an 8ft pole.
Last year on one trip my engine was making a lot of noise / vibration in gear so out came the gopro and boathook to take a quick look underneath (whilst sailing slowly). A quick rummage under the boat with the gopro streaming the video to my phone i could see the problem was the stripper had bent / broke.
Really really useful tool to have on board in my opinion, especially if you already own one!

How do you stream the video to your phone while the camera is under water? Does the wifi or Bluetooth signal transmit through water?

AquaholicM31

Visit site
How do you stream the video to your phone while the camera is under water? Does the wifi or Bluetooth signal transmit through water?

No but as soon as you lift the camera out of the water you can review the footage via wifi/bluetooth link. Just dunk it and wave it around in the hope you capture what you need and if not delete it, adjust the mount and have another go.

William_H

Visit site
I seem to have 2 GoPros mounted on head one each side of nose. AKA Mk1 eyeballs Only problem is I can't disconnect them so have to use my body as the extension pole. I also have to cover the GoPros with a mask to exclude water. Big advantage is that I then have robot like arms that can tackle limpets barnacles and weed while I am at it. Battery does not last long under water however at about 30 seconds but is easily recharged. You might like to get this kit and try it. olewill

Plum

Visit site
I seem to have 2 GoPros mounted on head one each side of nose. AKA Mk1 eyeballs Only problem is I can't disconnect them so have to use my body as the extension pole. I also have to cover the GoPros with a mask to exclude water. Big advantage is that I then have robot like arms that can tackle limpets barnacles and weed while I am at it. Battery does not last long under water however at about 30 seconds but is easily recharged. You might like to get this kit and try it. olewill
You've done a good job of marketing yourself. Are you available tomorrow at 1400h ? ?

Last edited:

William_H

Visit site
You've done a good job of marketing yourself. Are you available tomorrow at 1400h ? ��

Yes I will be there FOC asking only costs incurred. Roughly 1000squid for air fares accommodation and transport from Perth. Can't guarantee I won't be late however with a 20n hr flight and it is now around midnight your time. Looking forward to it. Is the water cold? olewill

Plum

Visit site
Yes I will be there FOC asking only costs incurred. Roughly 1000squid for air fares accommodation and transport from Perth. Can't guarantee I won't be late however with a 20n hr flight and it is now around midnight your time. Looking forward to it. Is the water cold? olewill

It would be great to have you here, thanks, but think i will experiment with an endoscope for a bit less money. ��