First boat and novice

Stemar

Visit site
Big +1 to the idea of getting out on as many different boats as you can, and to the idea of spending no more than £30-35K on the purchase, because the boat that won't need fettling doesn't exist. Even if everything works, there'll still be things you want to do to make it Your Boat, not just another boat.

Also think about where you're going to keep her. A drying mooring will be relatively cheap and may be a nice place just to laze aboard, but you'll need a dinghy to get there (where are you going to keep the dinghy? How easy if it's windy or wet, etc.), while a fancy marina is convenient, but you want to be sitting down when they tell you the cost, and it wouldn't be my idea of a nice place just to be aboard. Our sweet spot is the cheap drying mooring, yours may be different.

doug748

Visit site
Hi, as title suggests relatively new to sailing and mainly as a deck hand but now want to branch out and acquire my own boat after I've completed some training/certification.

The sailing I'd like to do is mainly coastal, Im based north wales, possibly extended trips across to Ireland/IOM and Scotland but doubt I'd want to go too far from Irish Sea for now.

Just confused about what type of boat to go for. I like the idea of creature comforts when on-board, doubt I'd be in to racing, probably safe and steady vs having the boat heeled over. So AWB's tick a lot of boxes so far.

My max budget is £50k but that covers my contingency with a 2nd hand boat. Unsure about keel type- would a bilge keel be a "safer" option for mooring and getting close to coast? I see a few 30-32ft boats at ~mid £30k that look ok and then 34-38 seems to really stretch my budget- would i regret not making the extra investment?

Based on the above what sort of boat would you buy? I'd imagine mosty 2-4 people on board occasionally more if big enough, I would also probably try single handed once confidence is high enough

Often a bit of bummer asking people what you should buy and you could end up totally baffled

Get that bit of training in if it suits you but an excellent way of gaining experience is joining a racing crew, it does not have to be any standard just getting out every week will help in several ways.
You, obviously, gain sailing experience but also insight into boat handing, maintenance, costs (moaning owner) availability of local moorings, as well as gaining wider knowledge and useful social contacts.
If you struggle to make a regular commitment of time you will begin to question how you will handle boat ownership, which is a good thing. It's not like buying a car where you can easily take the thing off the road and into a shed; boats use up a lot of time and money if you use them or not.

At the end of a season or two you will know if you want something cheap or are ready to put all your eggs into one basket because you know what you want - from your personal experience.

jwilson

Visit site
The big question is are you planning to do most maintenance yourself or pay for professionals to do it. If the latter your running costs are going to be very high. There are some jobs that you will probably want outside workers for but many that are worth learning to do yourself at immensely lower cost.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We were North Wales based for many years. Always had a fin keel on a mooring in Menai Strait. But had we been further south, in Cardigan Bay for example, or in Red Wharf Bay for another, a bilge keeler would have been far more useful. A reasonably modern bilge keel boat, Sadler 29 for example, will sail as well as many fin keeled boats and give you plenty of options.

Mister E

Visit site
The further west you are in North Wales the more a boat that can dry out is more useful.
There are so many drying harbours and suitable beaches that you get a lot more choice in places to visit.

It depends on where you want to park up for the night.

In the summer marinas often don't have space for visitors around the Llynn.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I think in your frankly enviable situation I would look at a Sadler 29 or 32, a Westerly Fulmar or a Hunter Horizon 30 or Channel 32. All solid, well-built boats, all well known and well liked so easy to sell on, all good seaworthy craft and all available with bilge keels.
You could find a really good boat for under £30k, have £5k to £10k to spend on it if you ended up keeping it for five years or more, or minimal loss of value if you sell it on after a couple of years having decided that you have some specific unmet needs.

Tranona

Visit site
I think in your frankly enviable situation I would look at a Sadler 29 or 32, a Westerly Fulmar or a Hunter Horizon 30 or Channel 32. All solid, well-built boats, all well known and well liked so easy to sell on, all good seaworthy craft and all available with bilge keels.
You could find a really good boat for under £30k, have £5k to £10k to spend on it if you ended up keeping it for five years or more, or minimal loss of value if you sell it on after a couple of years having decided that you have some specific unmet needs.
I wonder why anybody with up to £50k would want to do that when similar size boats 20 years or so younger with generally far better equipment and equally suitable for coastal cruising such as these are available well within budget allowing plenty of leeway for any unforeseen upgrades. Even newer or bigger boats of similar type are also available well within budget.
yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2003-hunter-legend-306-9336443/
yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2006-bavaria-30-cruiser-9077978/
networkyachtbrokers.com/boats_for_sale/Jeanneau_Sun_Odyssey_32_2-04559.html/

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I wonder why anybody with up to £50k would want to do that when similar size boats 20 years or so younger with generally far better equipment and equally suitable for coastal cruising such as these are available well within budget allowing plenty of leeway for any unforeseen upgrades. Even newer or bigger boats of similar type are also available well within budget.
yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2003-hunter-legend-306-9336443/
yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2006-bavaria-30-cruiser-9077978/
networkyachtbrokers.com/boats_for_sale/Jeanneau_Sun_Odyssey_32_2-04559.html/
None of them are bilge keel though, which the OP mentioned, and they're all £10k or so more expensive. My thought was to suggest buying a boat well below budget for a first boat and getting to know the territory a bit before either selling it on and buying 'the one', or making some judicious upgrades. The boats I suggested could all be sold for pretty much what you paid for them after a year or two of sailing, so it's a low-risk way to dip a toe in the water while you work out what you want long-term. And they're all boats that will give genuine sailing pleasure.

fredrussell

Visit site
I reckon for someone “relatively new to sailing” I’d be looking for something in the low thirties, rather than, say, a 36ft boat. A twenty year old 30 foot AWB is still spacious enough to accommodate four people comfortably for a weekend, but can also be single-handed easily enough - at least compared to a ‘next size up’ boat. I would also suggest something with a bit of pace - a Hanse or Dehler perhaps, as it’s useful to have a first boat that is a pleasure to sail and inspires a bit with its handling, but obviously that’s just personal preference.

Tranona

Visit site
None of them are bilge keel though, which the OP mentioned, and they're all £10k or so more expensive. My thought was to suggest buying a boat well below budget for a first boat and getting to know the territory a bit before either selling it on and buying 'the one', or making some judicious upgrades. The boats I suggested could all be sold for pretty much what you paid for them after a year or two of sailing, so it's a low-risk way to dip a toe in the water while you work out what you want long-term. And they're all boats that will give genuine sailing pleasure.
Yes, they are £10k more expensive - but he was not asking what is the lowest cost of getting a decent 30' or so boat - his budget is £50k - so why suggest £20k boats? You are right about no modern boats having twin keels (although some have centreboards) but that is only an option rather than an essential. The reality is that once you get about £0k a whole new world of choices opens up with more modern younger, better equipped boats become viable. You can learn just as much in a Bavaria 30 as you can in Sadler 29 - but have a lot more space, a fridge, shower, autopilot, electric windlass etc - and as I suggested earlier will hold their value just as well if not better.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Yes, they are £10k more expensive - but he was not asking what is the lowest cost of getting a decent 30' or so boat - his budget is £50k - so why suggest £20k boats? You are right about no modern boats having twin keels (although some have centreboards) but that is only an option rather than an essential. The reality is that once you get about £0k a whole new world of choices opens up with more modern younger, better equipped boats become viable. You can learn just as much in a Bavaria 30 as you can in Sadler 29 - but have a lot more space, a fridge, shower, autopilot, electric windlass etc - and as I suggested earlier will hold their value just as well if not better.
Yes, sure - I'm just putting forward a slightly different approach which the OP might or might not be interested in.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
North Wales is not England south coast! Berths for fin keeled boats are quite limited. Some deep water moorings available on Menai Strait and a marina at Pwllheli but not a lot otherwise unless luck is on your side. Not sure about Conwy marinas but quite possibly both have waiting lists. Bilge keel opens up very many more options.

Tranona

Visit site
North Wales is not England south coast! Berths for fin keeled boats are quite limited. Some deep water moorings available on Menai Strait and a marina at Pwllheli but not a lot otherwise unless luck is on your side. Not sure about Conwy marinas but quite possibly both have waiting lists. Bilge keel opens up very many more options.
In that case no need to spend £50k or anywhere near as you are effectively limited to 40+ year old boats.