LIBS - we loved it!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I'm not joking it was great - not perfect but pretty darned good. I went to a few Earls Court shows and they were awesome, a dock with just about every boat you could want to see etc. Then I went to a couple of Excel shows and marvelled at how they made the best fun hobby seem as dull as death.

So it was with some concerns that we set out yesterday, we most people we had free tickets and managed to blag some free parking so it was £15 of diesel to get there and we took a picnic.

The younger kids went on some fun bumper boats.

All three had either an hour's free paddle board tuition in the pool or an hour's free canoe lesson. The 5 year old to the 17 year old absolutely loved it.

We didn't mind all the non-boaty stalls, for a family like ours where not everyone is a sailing keeno it meant the daughters got free hair dos and facials and I got some amazing wax polish for my shoes.

Some ridiculously cheap dock lines in the rope bin.

Spoke to some very knowledgeable SUP and inflatable canoe people - very impressed with them and helped us plan the right purchase.

Likewise the Ribeye and Honda guys who offered a superb boat show discount and I think we may go with the Ribeye.

Spoke to a brilliant Torqeedo guy and planned that purchase, less impressed with the German "expert" who thought that 30ah at 25v was the same as 30ah at 12v and therefore his 25v 30amp battery would only use 30 amps of my 12v battery to recharge it. He still didn't believe me - I was right wasn't I?

There was a woeful lack of seating so we didn't look at many boats, major design problem with the show, the only pubic seating was at one far end of the hall.

It wasn't too busy but hardly empty, the sales people were helpful and informed. Great show - maybe my low expectations helped!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Spoke to a brilliant Torqeedo guy and planned that purchase, less impressed with the German "expert" who thought that 30ah at 25v was the same as 30ah at 12v and therefore his 25v 30amp battery would only use 30 amps of my 12v battery to recharge it. He still didn't believe me - I was right wasn't I?

You were indeed. 30Ah at 24V would need 62.5Ah from a 12V battery at 100% efficiency, so probably more like 80Ah when you've lost a bit.

roblpm

Visit site
Or, goo It into the boulevard where there is loads of seating, mostly empty whenever I have looked.

Yes unlike the accountancy show i went to last summer there were plenty of empty seats at costa etc in the entrance hall. Maybe all the boaters were in the bars...!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes unlike the accountancy show I went to last summer there were plenty of empty seats at costa etc in the entrance hall. Maybe all the boaters were in the bars...!

Exhibitor's tip: There is a little newsagents halfway along the atrium which does nice sandwiches, drinks and so on at normal newsagent prices, which are therefore about half what anyone else at Excel charges. Not that it matters much for a quick visit, but when you're there for a week from 8am - 6pm, the food costs mount up.

No Regrets

Visit site
It was crap. Poor choice in the few chandleries, and more expensive than their own online sites.

Lots of big unaffordable Gin palaces. Nice, but hardly boating.

Overpriced Champagne bars.

Utter rubbish, considering the entry level Bayliners at £23k more than last year and a similar rise across the board. Next year, forget it...

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I have no interest in gin palaces and I'm not in the market for a Bayliner so we weren't remotely interested in how big or expensive they were. But as you're in the market for one wasn't it worth it to be able to view them?

But an example of how good it was I got twenty minutes with each of the Honda, Ribeye and Zodiac salesmen going through the exact specs of their RIBs and got to sit in them. That was worth it. Add in some well cheap dock lines, a cracking discount on a SUP and a very useful demo of the Torqeedo. But more than anything the four female members of the family said as we were leaving - can we come back next year? The three kids loved it and surely their generation is pretty key to the future of the sport. Oh and I forgot a free night in each of two marinas and that shoe wax stuff is amazing :)

dash300

Visit site
I have no interest in gin palaces and I'm not in the market for a Bayliner so we weren't remotely interested in how big or expensive they were. But as you're in the market for one wasn't it worth it to be able to view them?

But an example of how good it was I got twenty minutes with each of the Honda, Ribeye and Zodiac salesmen going through the exact specs of their RIBs and got to sit in them. That was worth it. Add in some well cheap dock lines, a cracking discount on a SUP and a very useful demo of the Torqeedo. But more than anything the four female members of the family said as we were leaving - can we come back next year? The three kids loved it and surely their generation is pretty key to the future of the sport. Oh and I forgot a free night in each of two marinas and that shoe wax stuff is amazing :)

Even though back up in London for a few days I just can't bring my self to pop along, having been so disappointed over last few years at both LIBS and SIBS ( I don't have kids in tow however) Now Beaulieu is a different matter:) as long as you do your internet price trawl first of course.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I attended on Saturday. It was very, very quiet until about 3pm.

I use the LBS like any other trade show, there to talk directly to the manufactures and wholesalers, and catch up with people. For me it worked.

The man on one stand took half an hour to describe the detail of his product and describe the science behind it. I spoke to my usual supplier of all things rope, Jimmy Green's, and will be popping down to Beer for a crab sandwich and a long discussion about the running rigging in the new boat in February. Bumping into a chap I usually see in Alderney with a pint in his hand and another and another was both a surprize and useful as he gave me a few things to think about.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
A traveler asked an old farmer working beside the road, "What sort of people live in the next town?"

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving them."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way.

Some time later another stranger hailed the farmer, "What sort of people live in the next town?"

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

zikzik

Visit site
Yep. good post.
We made a weekend of London, enjoying our day at the show on Sunday. Saw stuff, bought stuff, learned stuff. That's all you need!

machone

Visit site
To the op regarding inflatable kayaks. Off topic, sorry. Don't know your price range or the sort of thing you are after but I bought a gumotex seawave http://www.gumotexboats.com/inflatable-kayaks . I have no affiliation but I recommend this boat. I've used it a lot over the last couple of years and it is good at everything(unless you are intent at paddling in f8 crosswind).