Our first year with lithium

Neeves

Visit site
Extending my post on 'solar shingles'

I read that balcony solar panels are popular in Germany. If you check this link:

800W Balcony Solar System Set B - OMMO

and scroll down there is an image of the kit, the solar panels, angled toward the sun - which seems so similar to hanging panels off your stanchions (but the balcony application owe nothing to Heath Robinson but look slightly more professional). They fill a niche where you want a temporary installation (unlike most domestic installations that become part of the roof). The balcony installation seem to be sold as a complete kit, possibly including a battery or plugged into the mains. When you move from one rental property to another, and have a different balcony - you can take the kit with you.

There seems no reason to suggest that even small yachts could not have a reasonable solar display ......

...... just think outside the box (or yacht).

Jonathan

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have 2 X MMPT controllers. One is connected to 3 X 60W panels in series and the other 2 X 100W in series. The 3 X 60W are mounted on the deck and the 2 X 100W on the sprayhood. They are no in optimal position because it is almost impossible to avoid some shading from the mast or boom. However I never get more than 180-190W of solar. If I leave the boat i tend to tie the boom to one side to maximize the yield. On average in the summer months we will generate over 1kwh per day. It is disappointing but the location is not optimal. But it is enough to keep the fridge and freezer going when we leave the boat for about three weeks in th UK. In the med the yield is higher.