First Boat - what size?

Dazzer2

Visit site
My opinion of the Fairline....it’s a nice boat in very nice condition...it’s a boat that is a good size to grow with you....the engine bay looks a little tight....and most importantly the side decks, check that your wife can get from the cockpit to the side decks, and go around the deck and back to the cockpit in complete safety....and explain to her that she might be expected to do in underway (at slow speed) and in a chop....see what she says and how she looks doing it. Otherwise your wife does the Powerboat exam and she helms while you do the fendering or anchoring
hadn’t thought about that, will keep that in mind and see if she’s happy to do this when we view

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
My opinion of the Fairline....it’s a nice boat in very nice condition...it’s a boat that is a good size to grow with you....the engine bay looks a little tight....and most importantly the side decks, check that your wife can get from the cockpit to the side decks, and go around the deck and back to the cockpit in complete safety....and explain to her that she might be expected to do in underway (at slow speed) and in a chop....see what she says and how she looks doing it. Otherwise your wife does the Powerboat exam and she helms while you do the fendering or anchoring
The Fairline was around at BW when they sold mine (in 3 weeks) in Sept 2023.
Lots of people booking viewings but clearly no takers
My impression of BW is that boats are there to be sold and not a cruising ground to be enjoyed at leisure until a punter comes along.
If you like it a low offer might get it. (I’m thinking offer 85, have a survey, knock another 5 off)

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
The Sealine looks a bit more sensible, more engine room room and easier access to the side decks (all that could be an illusion of the photographs, that’s why it’s important to try it in real life)...the extra berth might be handy but that depends entirely on your social life....the woodwork is lighter and more modern looking....but a bit more utilitarian...the Fairline looks plusher more comfortable

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Can I just add....two points about sports cruisers....the first is that it entirely depends on your height...some tall people are happy to stick their head through the opening roof and helm that way, especially when berthing.....short people can get a perfect view out the window...but for some all they will see is the roof line ....important to check, and to remember that underway the bow will rise.
The second point is the coach roof in the front, very popular to sunbathe on....but some of them, when not moving, have a real slope towards the bow...making you feel like you are sliding off.
These are just some compromises for having blistering speed...everything is a trade off

kashurst

Visit site
Both good boats.
The Fairline is older but looks well looked after - which is very important. The engines have superchargers. On the KAD42 they can be noisy when the superchargers engage - but that is usually only briefly while getting onto the plane and the turbos take over. Assuming it has a reasonable service history I would prefer the Fairline over the Sealine as it is simpler. Straightforward electrics, mechanically controlled engines. On any KAD engine the turbo chargers eventualy fail - basically the exhaust housing rusts away and they lose boost pressure. So budget for two new ones (don't have them rebuilt). About £800 each plus fitting. They may already have been replaced. A good sea trial will reveal any turbo weakness. If the boat is at Burton Waters near Lincoln a trundle up and down the river won't get the turbos spinning and the engine properly loaded so just keep that in mind.

The Sealine, whilst looking in good condition, has the Seaplex electronic control system. It can be temperamental and tricky to repair. so make sure it is all working properly. Spares are allegedly not easy to get any more. All the bits were made by a company called e-plex in I think Rochester UK. Might be worth giving them a call and see whats still available. The D4 engines are good. They will be quieter and smoother than the older KADs. Arguably a bit more fuel efficient. However at sea it wil not be much - if anything. Check the heat exchanger covers are OK. They can corrode and leak.

Dazzer2

Visit site
Can I just add....two points about sports cruisers....the first is that it entirely depends on your height...some tall people are happy to stick their head through the opening roof and helm that way, especially when berthing.....short people can get a perfect view out the window...but for some all they will see is the roof line ....important to check, and to remember that underway the bow will rise.
The second point is the coach roof in the front, very popular to sunbathe on....but some of them, when not moving, have a real slope towards the bow...making you feel like you are sliding off.
These are just some compromises for having blistering speed...everything is a trade off
Thanks, it’s expanded my search, will take all into consideration lots of good advice I’m 6ft so it will matter to me

Greg2

Visit site
Bit too old, what do you think of this, after all the advice I have now decided to go for the larger boat, I’ve been round and seen lots of boats and I’m thinking about this one, im going back with the wife, the price might be a sticking point as I’ve not planned to spend this much, is this a realistic price or anything else that you spot for me Fairline Targa 37 9038466 – Burton Waters Boat Sales

2009 – Sealine SC38 with twin Volvo Penta D4 – 300 engines - Parker Adams Boat Sales

Not sure if the Targa 37 is an option or not? If it is then the one at NYA looks to be a better boat.

Assuming that it is actually the SC38 that you are interested in then I would say that is a great option. We looked very carefully at one way back when and really liked it - a great cockpit and comfortable accommodation throughout.

Just be aware that the Sealine S38 (same hull) had strength issues that required a £20k fix that involved addional stringers. They were done on recall by Desty’s at Hamble Point. It was never clear whether or not the same issue applied to the SC38 - it may not have done and I have heard of any problems with one. Worth joining the Sealine Forum if it is a serious option - they are a friendly and knowledgable bunch.

As for price just go for it and cut out the inevitable early boat change that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Edit: Cross posted with kashurst, who makes an excellent point about the Seaplex - I had forgotten they have that system which can be a real pain / problem and a replacement system is a lot of money (see the Sealine thread currently running)

Dazzer2

Visit site
Both good boats.
The Fairline is older but looks well looked after - which is very important. The engines have superchargers. On the KAD42 they can be noisy when the superchargers engage - but that is usually only briefly while getting onto the plane and the turbos take over. Assuming it has a reasonable service history I would prefer the Fairline over the Sealine as it is simpler. Straightforward electrics, mechanically controlled engines. On any KAD engine the turbo chargers eventualy fail - basically the exhaust housing rusts away and they lose boost pressure. So budget for two new ones (don't have them rebuilt). About £800 each plus fitting. They may already have been replaced. A good sea trial will reveal any turbo weakness. If the boat is at Burton Waters near Lincoln a trundle up and down the river won't get the turbos spinning and the engine properly loaded so just keep that in mind.

The Sealine, whilst looking in good condition, has the Seaplex electronic control system. It can be temperamental and tricky to repair. so make sure it is all working properly. Spares are allegedly not easy to get any more. All the bits were made by a company called e-plex in I think Rochester UK. Might be worth giving them a call and see whats still available. The D4 engines are good. They will be quieter and smoother than the older KADs. Arguably a bit more fuel efficient. However at sea it wil not be much - if anything. Check the heat exchanger covers are OK. They can corrode and leak.
Thanks my list is getting longer by the minute, but all good.

DavidJ

Visit site
Not sure if the Targa 37 is an option or not? If it is then the one at NYA looks to be a better boat.

Assuming that it is actually the SC38 that you are interested in then I would say that is a great option. We looked very carefully at one way back when and really liked it - a great cockpit and comfortable accommodation throughout.

Just be aware that the Sealine S38 (same hull) had strength issues that required a £20k fix that involved addional stringers. They were done on recall by Desty’s at Hamble Point. It was never clear whether or not the same issue applied to the SC38 - it may not have done and I have heard of any problems with one. Worth joining the Sealine Forum if it is a serious option - they are a friendly and knowledgable bunch.

As for price just go for it and cut out the inevitable early boat change that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Edit: Cross posted with kashurst, who makes an excellent point about the Seaplex - I had forgotten they have that system which can be a real pain / problem and a replacement system is a lot of money (see the Sealine thread currently running)
From what I recall the hull problems were only on the first 2 or 3 S38’s. The modifications done were I believe 100% successful and I can only assume that the improvements were carried through to future production.
If you do go ahead make sure the survey checks out the Seaplex lighting system

Last edited:

Dazzer2

Visit site
From what I recall the hull problems were only on the first 2 or 3 S38’s. The modifications done were I believe 100% successful and I can only assume that the improvements were carried through to future production.
I you do go ahead make sure the survey checks out the Seaplex lighting system
Ok, not sure now think might be leaning towards the fairline, but who knows????

Dazzer2

Visit site

Thanks for the heads up, joining now, we’ll see how we go but head a bit mashed at the moment!!!

Hot Property

Visit site
Don't discount an outbound powered boat.

The boating world is changing and diesels on stern drives are rapidly going out of fashion.

Modern outboards are clean, quiet and efficient.

Low servicing costs, low corrosion as you raise the leg when not in use. More cabin space, minimal cockpit noise.

I had a 23 ft sports cruiser (as profile photo). 200 Mercury Verado fitted.

Hamble to Brixham via direct Lyme bay route was no problem.

Fuel cost more I agree BUT offset by low servicing etc. Check how much a stern drive rebuild is!

An increasing number of O/B powered boats coming on the market now ...

Bouba

Visit site
Don't discount an outbound powered boat.

The boating world is changing and diesels on stern drives are rapidly going out of fashion.

Modern outboards are clean, quiet and efficient.

Low servicing costs, low corrosion as you raise the leg when not in use. More cabin space, minimal cockpit noise.

I had a 23 ft sports cruiser (as profile photo). 200 Mercury Verado fitted.

Hamble to Brixham via direct Lyme bay route was no problem.

Fuel cost more I agree BUT offset by low servicing etc. Check how much a stern drive rebuild is!

An increasing number of O/B powered boats coming on the market now ...
Did you see my boat show thread 👍
Boat Show pictorial report

DavidJ

Visit site

Bouba

Visit site
I have now .

I'm not suggesting massive outboards to the O/P but twin 200s on a 28 Axopar style boat would be sporty and not too heavy ..
No…but I made the same point as you, that outboards are starting to take over in the thirty to forty foot range…and this might be the beginning of the end of the inboard

DavidJ

Visit site
No…but I made the same point as you, that outboards are starting to take over in the thirty to forty foot range…and this might be the beginning of the end of the inboard
They do seem very quiet. Hardly hear them pottering around the marina. Just needs a bit more styling development to not look like an add on to the bathing platform but getting there. The end of VP is nigh