First Boat - what size?

ashtead

Visit site
I’m sure once you have your first boat you will move on in a few years. For cross channel I would buy twin diesels but many survive with one . I would have thought in terms of brand you might look at Windy as they seem to have lovely Iines but I don’t own one however it would be where I would start and compare with the other brands. Avoid in uk brands like cranchi I guess though. A Nimbus will always resell I’m sure but I believe hardly a sport boat.

Dazzer2

Visit site
I’m sure once you have your first boat you will move on in a few years. For cross channel I would buy twin diesels but many survive with one . I would have thought in terms of brand you might look at Windy as they seem to have lovely Iines but I don’t own one however it would be where I would start and compare with the other brands. Avoid in uk brands like cranchi I guess though. A Nimbus will always resell I’m sure but I believe hardly a sport boat.
I’ve not looked at Windy, why avoid uk brands?

ashtead

Visit site
There are few uk brands but on basis you will want to sell on brands like cranchi will be less attractive in uk market compared to uk brands say princess or suchlike or brands like Bavaria,jeaneau,beneteau etc or quality Nordic brands like nimbus or Windy . In any boat segment the choice often comes down to buying a mass market brand like your Bav33 or buying older Nordic brands. There’s nothing wrong with Bav or indeed a Trawler type Bene or if you want petrol outboards an axopar etc. windy are a premium brand and apparently have good seakeeping qualities but you must try some out by test trips really . The problem in asking on this forum is each brand has its own acolytes partly depending on use but often it’s a question if you want a premium brand as to whether you want to sacrifice size for what might be considered a premium brand. Do you go for the newer Bav or the older Windy say?

Dazzer2

Visit site
There are few uk brands but on basis you will want to sell on brands like cranchi will be less attractive in uk market compared to uk brands say princess or suchlike or brands like Bavaria,jeaneau,beneteau etc or quality Nordic brands like nimbus or Windy . In any boat segment the choice often comes down to buying a mass market brand like your Bav33 or buying older Nordic brands. There’s nothing wrong with Bav or indeed a Trawler type Bene or if you want petrol outboards an axopar etc. windy are a premium brand and apparently have good seakeeping qualities but you must try some out by test trips really . The problem in asking on this forum is each brand has its own acolytes partly depending on use but often it’s a question if you want a premium brand as to whether you want to sacrifice size for what might be considered a premium brand. Do you go for the newer Bav or the older Windy say?
I’ve looked at the Bavarias but not the Windy, just seen a nice Windy so thanks for that

ashtead

Visit site
No problem there’s nothing wrong with say a Bav 33 and Clipper Marine say can give info but a Windy just looks nicer but it’s personal choice . I suggest you try to buy whatever you choose with a berth ideally that can be transferred as if looking in Solent berths can be in short supply , some dealers will offer a berth as part of deal for a few months.

IDut

Visit site
Hi I’m new here, and looking to buy my first motor boat, I have zero experience of boating although I have just done my Powerboat Level 2 and really enjoyed it so definitely want to get on the water. I’m looking to get a boat that I can stay on for a few nights and go to places such as the Isle of Wight and as I get more experienced go to the Channel Islands. I will be solo and will have to do all the berthing and anchoring on my own. How do you make it easier when doing this on your own?. I’ve looked at the Bavaria 32 or 33 Hard top or the Sealine 34/35 HT, or something similar as I want to use it all year round and even in the winter stay hence the hard top.

Any advice on boat size for a newbie would be greatly received, thanks in advance.
Have you considered a boat club such as Pure Latitude in order to get a feel for it? They have 2 or 3 different motorboats based out of the Hamble and Lymington. It enables you to try a couple of different boats and more importantly build up experience before taking the plunge! I was a member for 1 year and did all of my training with them before buying a 50ft flybridge. They are very helpful.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Have you considered a boat club such as Pure Latitude in order to get a feel for it? They have 2 or 3 different motorboats based out of the Hamble and Lymington. It enables you to try a couple of different boats and more importantly build up experience before taking the plunge! I was a member for 1 year and did all of my training with them before buying a 50ft flybridge. They are very helpful.
That’s a great idea.

I bought a Bavaria S40 as my first motor boat. Found a day or two own-boat training was essential, then it’s a matter of practice. Self and wife could handle it easily, I single handed it several times but that’s not a preference. As others have said, learning to handle the effects of the elements (wind and tide/current) and using them to your advantage is essential. That boat now sold. If I was to buy another it’d be bigger and heavier. I’m not a fan of small boats, too much bouncing about.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
That sc35 at BW , here is a tip go and look at it if you both like it, now here is the tip take two pillows and double sheets , ask for James as he has the authority to let you and swimbo to stay over for a night on such boat, offer to pay and take it off when bought the boat .

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
That sc35 at BW , here is a tip go and look at it if you both like it, now here is the tip take two pillows and double sheets , ask for James as he has the authority to let you and swimbo to stay over for a night on such boat, offer to pay and take it off when bought the boat .
I see it’s on offer so might not fly
They have an overpriced Fairline 37 though
Fairline Targa 37 9038466 – Burton Waters Boat Sales

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
SC35 is a great boat but the bow cabin is very short IMHO. Weakest part of the design. Cockpit space is excellent.

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
SC35 is a great boat but the bow cabin is very short IMHO. Weakest part of the design. Cockpit space is excellent.

Yes, we looked at one many moons ago and the fwd cabin was an issue for us and if memory serves the doors didn’t open fully. Lovely boats though and all boats are a compromise😉

Adetheheat

Visit site
I started boating 18 months ago after doing a powerboat level 2. I bought a 7metre beneteau antares. It's about right for one person. Easy to moor up - jump onto the pontoon and you can drag it into position with the ropes.
However, after buying your boat please get 2 hours or so of own boat tuition! That will give you tons of experience really quickly that the level 2 course doesn't cover. The 2 hours of tuition got me much more safely in and out of the pontoon etc
Next up bear in mind that even small boats like mine do about 2 litres to the mile!! I found that out when I tried to go from solent to Brighton ! The fuel was being guzzled up! I had to abandon half way! So for big trips to the channel islands you'll have to think of fuel usage.
However even if its winter or too windy to go out or its night time it is very pleasant to sit on board in the marina and have a few drinks and listen to some music. It's like having a second home at sea!
Hope that helps!

Alicatt

Visit site
I started boating 18 months ago after doing a powerboat level 2. I bought a 7metre beneteau antares. It's about right for one person. Easy to moor up - jump onto the pontoon and you can drag it into position with the ropes.
However, after buying your boat please get 2 hours or so of own boat tuition! That will give you tons of experience really quickly that the level 2 course doesn't cover. The 2 hours of tuition got me much more safely in and out of the pontoon etc
Next up bear in mind that even small boats like mine do about 2 litres to the mile!! I found that out when I tried to go from solent to Brighton ! The fuel was being guzzled up! I had to abandon half way! So for big trips to the channel islands you'll have to think of fuel usage.
However even if its winter or too windy to go out or its night time it is very pleasant to sit on board in the marina and have a few drinks and listen to some music. It's like having a second home at sea!
Hope that helps!
All depends on what engine, hull, and what speeds your boat does, mine is 7.5m with a small diesel engine delivering 13hp and uses 2 litres per hour at wide open throttle which gives about 12km/h and a no reserve range of 720km, at cruising speed of about 8km/h she is sipping 1.2litres per hour which gives a range of about 800km with no reserve, the boat has a 120litre tank.
My last boat when cruising consumed petrol/2stroke at the rate of 40litres per hour at 27knots (50km/h) which delivers a 1.2liters per km thirst (almost 2liters/mile), that boat was a 6m dory with a 75hp Johnson outboard, she had a 5 gallon tank with lots of 20 litre jerry cans to go anywhere :)

danieleither

Visit site
I have a 2006 Fairline Targa 40 - it is my first boat, and I am almost always solo in it. To make things easier, I had a stern thruster and remote control fitted (it already had a bow thruster). This means I can come in to dock, position the boat and step off the boat onto the dock, but have full control of the bow and stern thrusters (via the remote) while I am tying it off. I did manage ok without this for the first couple months, however it is much easier (and less nerve-racking) having the remote. You can go one step further and have full remote docking control (remote control of thrusters AND engines in and out of gear).

You could take the thrusters one step further and install variable speed thrusters with dock-hold (thrusters that automatically hold your boat in position on the dock). Not cheap, but very effective.

A much cheaper thing you can do is invest in ultra-long lines. For example, my bow line is long enough to lay down the entire side of the boat, with about 3m excess. This means before coming into dock, when I prepare the boat (e.g. put the fenders down, prepare the lines etc), I tie the bow line off at the back of the boat and drape the remainder over the side I am docking to). This way, when I step off the boat, I can quickly grab both the bow and stern line at the same time - and both are ready in my hands on the dock.

You could consider adding CCTV cameras (which will interface with your MFD) so you have better visibility from the helm (e.g. to cover blank spots).

To make anchoring easier, I installed a digital rode counter to the helm (a digital readout of chain length). That means I can fully anchor without leaving the helm.

I will add... I am SO used to solo boating now, that even on the odd occasions when I have guests, I still do all the lines, fenders - everything myself. I don't think the size of the boat is particularly important, when everything is working as it should. It's more 'can you manage it on your own if something goes wrong' - and that's where larger boats are more difficult. I'm a big(ish) guy, reasonably fit and strong but my 40ft can be difficult to hold by lines in strong winds or strong tide. The smaller / lighter / less-windage the boat, the easier it will be to physically hold or manoeuvre by lines.

Last edited:

Dazzer2

Visit site
I have a 2006 Fairline Targa 40 - it is my first boat, and I am almost always solo in it. To make things easier, I had a stern thruster and remote control fitted (it already had a bow thruster). This means I can come in to dock, position the boat and step off the boat onto the dock, but have full control of the bow and stern thrusters (via the remote) while I am tying it off. I did manage ok without this for the first couple months, however it is much easier (and less nerve-racking) having the remote. You can go one step further and have full remote docking control (remote control of thrusters AND engines in and out of gear).

You could take the thrusters one step further and install variable speed thrusters with dock-hold (thrusters that automatically hold your boat in position on the dock). Not cheap, but very effective.

A much cheaper thing you can do is invest in ultra-long lines. For example, my bow line is long enough to lay down the entire side of the boat, with about 3m excess. This means before coming into dock, when I prepare the boat (e.g. put the fenders down, prepare the lines etc), I tie the bow line off at the back of the boat and drape the remainder over the side I am docking to). This way, when I step off the boat, I can quickly grab both the bow and stern line at the same time - and both are ready in my hands on the dock.

You could consider adding CCTV cameras (which will interface with your MFD) so you have better visibility from the helm (e.g. to cover blank spots).

To make anchoring easier, I installed a digital rode counter to the helm (a digital readout of chain length). That means I can fully anchor without leaving the helm.

I will add... I am SO used to solo boating now, that even on the odd occasions when I have guests, I still do all the lines, fenders - everything myself. I don't think the size of the boat is particularly important, when everything is working as it should. It's more 'can you manage it on your own if something goes wrong' - and that's where larger boats are more difficult. I'm a big(ish) guy, reasonably fit and strong but my 40ft can be difficult to hold by lines in strong winds or strong tide. The smaller / lighter / less-windage the boat, the easier it will be to physically hold or manoeuvre by lines.
Great advice, this has all been really helpful, you mention CCTV, any suggestions on these?

Dazzer2

Visit site
Hope that helps!
That’s something I definitely plan to do, good advice on the fuel

Dazzer2

Visit site
I see it’s on offer so might not fly
They have an overpriced Fairline 37 though
Fairline Targa 37 9038466 – Burton Waters Boat Sales
Bit too old, what do you think of this, after all the advice I have now decided to go for the larger boat, I’ve been round and seen lots of boats and I’m thinking about this one, im going back with the wife, the price might be a sticking point as I’ve not planned to spend this much, is this a realistic price or anything else that you spot for me https://burtonwaters.co.uk/boats/fairline-targa-37-9038466/

2009 – Sealine SC38 with twin Volvo Penta D4 – 300 engines - Parker Adams Boat Sales

Bouba

Visit site
Bit too old, what do you think of this, after all the advice I have now decided to go for the larger boat, I’ve been round and seen lots of boats and I’m thinking about this one, im going back with the wife, the price might be a sticking point as I’ve not planned to spend this much, is this a realistic price or anything else that you spot for me https://burtonwaters.co.uk/boats/fairline-targa-37-9038466/

2009 – Sealine SC38 with twin Volvo Penta D4 – 300 engines - Parker Adams Boat Sales
My opinion of the Fairline....it’s a nice boat in very nice condition...it’s a boat that is a good size to grow with you....the engine bay looks a little tight....and most importantly the side decks, check that your wife can get from the cockpit to the side decks, and go around the deck and back to the cockpit in complete safety....and explain to her that she might be expected to do in underway (at slow speed) and in a chop....see what she says and how she looks doing it. Otherwise your wife does the Powerboat exam and she helms while you do the fendering or anchoring