First Boat - what size?

Greg2

Visit site

We have specced twin OXE 150hp outboards on a boat at work. Main reason is the complete absence of petrol waterside in our area of operation. The price per unit is absolutely eye watering though and for many leisure users it will be hard to make the ‘man maths’ work.

There is no doubt that outboards generally are becoming more common on new boats but that doesn’t mean that they are the solution or that it means the demise of inboards IMHO. They (petrol outboards) might be fine for the average day boater who doesn’t go far but they are not so attractive for those that go cruising, not just because of cost and quantity of fuel used but also availability round the coast. The current series in MBY about the guy doing a circumnavigation in a small speedboat kind of illustrates the point.

ylop

Visit site
Thanks it’s more for chilling with the family, this looks more like a fishing boat, need more of a sport boat, and do people manage boats above 11m on their own or is it better to go smaller first time around?
When in open seas, managing an 11m boat is not really any different to handling one twice the length of half the length. Berthing it is a different story - plenty of people sail 11m boats solo. I’d suggest those who do it stress free are not beginners. Top of the range boats come with fancy joy stick computer control and thrusters etc to make it easier - if your budget allows.
diesel car sales are almost non existent, so supply of diesel might get cut back
but tractors, trucks and vans still seem to default to diesel, and from a marine perspective theres not much sign of large commercial users changing. Whilst we are refining crude oil into fractions there will always be diesel type oils produced (aviation, and heating don’t seem to be making much progress to alternatives) so diesel will still be available at refineries. Given its prevalence in leisure marine it will be a long while before access dockside is a common problem in busy areas.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Lodestone

Visit site
Because most reviews of Oxe outboards say they are for work boats....but you are welcome to keep it a secret

Perhaps because this is a motor boat forum and we tend to be interested in what boats and engines people have and their experiences with them 😁

As Greg2 says one of the principle reasons for opting for a diesel outboard is fuel availability - especially out of the Solent and certainly north of the Clyde. As has been said there are many vessels of larger than expected size sporting outboards. I'm often agog that neither the dealers nor the owners seem to look at diesel ...I'm thinking smaller Targas and things like Nimbus C11's. There are pro's and con's but if you want good range, lower fuel costs and the use of any fuelling point then this is one answer. There's nothing magical about the diesels, just a certain type of engine. I have found them to be quiet, reliable, not stinky and very easy to live with and feed. There is a significant cost difference up front but my 'man maths' (to borrow someone's phrase) was driven by practicality.

The development of the diesel outboard offerings was, as I understand it, largely driven by the NATO single fuels policy. The military (replacement?) market is huge. The practicality and behaviour of diesel outboards make them equally attractive to commercial users. Then follows the 'superyacht' crowd who don't want petrol on board in their tenders either. There is also a place for them in leisure craft for users who want that practicality either due to location or intent. If you do regular long runs for your fun - Clyde to NI or Plymouth to Scillies (with high refuelling costs) then they'd be ideal.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
interesting thread with expected deviations on the way, typical mobo ybw forum :)

one thing that has been lightly discussed (imho) is what speed OP wants/expects to travel. Hull types mentioned/explained, fuel costs as well (albeit lightly again imho).
I think OP should study and decide a bit on that as well. It's good to say I want to be fast and sporty and go everywhere at 20+kn, but once the weather turns choppy which means most of the time where you are, it wont be pleasant, unless of course you have an Itama (as Porto has explained elaborately over the last 10yrs or so :rolleyes: )

On a serious note, take it easy, study, ask, rent/go in friends' boats and experience both you and your wife how things look like not on the marina but on sea in different conditions in different boats. This will have an impact on having a boat that both will use, or you use alone, or you sell...

cheers

V.

Sianna

Visit site
Lots of different opinions on here and lots of good advice, so always worth listening too.

We opted for a 28ft 4 berth open sports boat, Leader 805, with fairly old school KAD43, no electronics :cool:, and our 4 years with his boat have been great fun, very reliable and cheap to run

The single diesel ( means we can comfortably use it when we want too, a day on the solent is only £50 in diesel), It's easily manageable single handed, despite NOT having a bow thruster, even in blustery or tidal conditions you just need, think ahead and plan manoeuvres, but it's all very doable.

The canopy is watertight and diesel heating allows us to use her all year round.

Bigger doesn't always translate to more fun but the costs exponentially increase.

Would I like a bigger / hardtop boat? Absolutely, but for me starting out in boating has been about gaining confidence on the water taking out family and friends to share and make the experiences.

Would I start this way again, definitely, good luck with your purchase and I hope you enjoy it.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.25.25.png

Bouba

Visit site
The cost of keeping a boat can be crippling...and remember, some years you may barely get on the water. I’m lucky that I can boat year round....and I have great places to visit on my doorstep....do your sums carefully and bear in mind, man maths is your worst enemy😖😳😀 All in all it’s a great hobby, and a forty footer as a first boat ?...I envy you😀

Sianna

Visit site
The cost of keeping a boat can be crippling...and remember, some years you may barely get on the water. I’m lucky that I can boat year round....and I have great places to visit on my doorstep....do your sums carefully and bear in mind, man maths is your worst enemy😖😳😀 All in all it’s a great hobby, and a forty footer as a first boat ?...I envy you😀
Agreed, It's not the purchase costs, it's the associated costs, mooring fees seem to exponentially rise with the the boats length, 2 engines = double the serving, same with outdrives, it almost makes a 34ft single diesel, shaft drive, Swift Trawler seem almost sensible 😂

p.s. My neighbour has one and it is a lovely boat 😂😂

fc530757-a572-4cef-af6d-5316662958b0.jpg

Hot Property

Visit site
We have specced twin OXE 150hp outboards on a boat at work. Main reason is the complete absence of petrol waterside in our area of operation. The price per unit is absolutely eye watering though and for many leisure users it will be hard to make the ‘man maths’ work.

There is no doubt that outboards generally are becoming more common on new boats but that doesn’t mean that they are the solution or that it means the demise of inboards IMHO. They (petrol outboards) might be fine for the average day boater who doesn’t go far but they are not so attractive for those that go cruising, not just because of cost and quantity of fuel used but also availability round the coast. The current series in MBY about the guy doing a circumnavigation in a small speedboat kind of illustrates the point.

I agree, if cruising, then diesel is king.

But for an "average" boater doing 50 engine hours a year the significantly lower servicing and maintenance costs, boat performance etc are swinging towards outboards.

Oxe diesel prices prevent uptake in the leisure market.

Greg2

Visit site
Oxe diesel prices prevent uptake in the leisure market.

I wonder if it is the R&D costs that have to be recouped?

I visited the Caudwell Marine test facility a few months ago and they have a couple of boats running up and down the coast 24/7 to put hours on and iron out any problems. Just that element alone will be costly with premises, vessels, crew, fuel etc etc and they have been in development for several years with no apparent income stream.