First Boat - what size?

Dazzer2

Visit site
Hi I’m new here, and looking to buy my first motor boat, I have zero experience of boating although I have just done my Powerboat Level 2 and really enjoyed it so definitely want to get on the water. I’m looking to get a boat that I can stay on for a few nights and go to places such as the Isle of Wight and as I get more experienced go to the Channel Islands. I will be solo and will have to do all the berthing and anchoring on my own. How do you make it easier when doing this on your own?. I’ve looked at the Bavaria 32 or 33 Hard top or the Sealine 34/35 HT, or something similar as I want to use it all year round and even in the winter stay hence the hard top.

Any advice on boat size for a newbie would be greatly received, thanks in advance.

Dazzer2

Visit site
For going solo , look at swift trawler 34 they have a side door and side door on deck. Bouba who posts on here every day has one.
Thanks it’s more for chilling with the family, this looks more like a fishing boat, need more of a sport boat, and do people manage boats above 11m on their own or is it better to go smaller first time around?

kashurst

Visit site
Welcome. Twenty three years ago I popped up on here and said hello I want to buy a boat. Without this forum I wouldn't have made it to the end of the following year. We are now on boat number seven and have been fortunate to have had 20+ years of fantastic boating with the great and experienced help of all the contributors here. Don't rush into something too quick. The sea looks beautiful, but it is not your friend. If that sounds horribly patronising I apologise, but the knowledge here is amazing.

For all year round use a hard top sports boat works:
But hard tops reflects the engine noise, even big hard top sports boats can get a bit wearing after an hour or so,
When the sea is pretty flat - it rarely is. The sea around the UK is usually a bit lumpy. Something that rides the waves well tend not to be overly sporty. Some of the more traditional boats may work better, but don't look as cool. If you get caught up in big waves (and you will if you go anywhere) you might find yourself considering how the boat looks less important than how it behaves.
And you are OK being a bit chilly. In the winter they can be hard to warm up unless it has rear doors.

The Swift Trawler does look like a fishing boat. Fishing boats go out 24/7/365. They look the way they do for quite a few good reasons.
Solo handling is usually OK. The better the access to the side decks the easier it is. How wide are the side decks on sports boats?
Try not to get too sucked in by the exterior look of the boat. As the owner/driver you rarely actually see it. There are loads of 34 foot give or take, boats that will get you where you want to go, stay aboard etc, but might not look as cool but are much better boats. £130K ish gets you into all sorts of great boats that will work well around the UK.

Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
I would have thought a 34 a bit big for solo boat handling as a novice boater.
I would counter the opposite. I find smaller boats can be very unruly. I used to single hand a 20 ton 50 footer. Even in a decent wind it would just sit there.
I briefly had a 27 foot sports boat and it was like herding cats in the lightest of breezes.

Greg2

Visit site
Wise words from Kashurst.

If single handing a sports cruiser with a planing hull and outdrives might well be a less than optimal choice as they can be a bit flighty at close quarters. Not all though - we had an S34 that handled particularly well but in reality I am far happier single handing our semi-displacement shaft drive Hardy Commodore 36.

jrudge

Visit site
Single handing a boat - even a large one - in good weather is fine. Docking in wind single handed can be difficult.

You insurer may also have a view of single handing with little experience.

Boats also go wrong and having someone else on board is a good idea as one can helm ( or just look out for boats ) whilst the other deals with the issue.

If you want to solo firstly I would say as a novice don't , but if you must then get a suitable boat for it and in my view don't consider long trips ( Channel Islands ). Just remain coastal.

Dazzer2

Visit site
Welcome. Twenty three years ago I popped up on here and said hello I want to buy a boat. Without this forum I wouldn't have made it to the end of the following year. We are now on boat number seven and have been fortunate to have had 20+ years of fantastic boating with the great and experienced help of all the contributors here. Don't rush into something too quick. The sea looks beautiful, but it is not your friend. If that sounds horribly patronising I apologise, but the knowledge here is amazing.

For all year round use a hard top sports boat works:
But hard tops reflects the engine noise, even big hard top sports boats can get a bit wearing after an hour or so,
When the sea is pretty flat - it rarely is. The sea around the UK is usually a bit lumpy. Something that rides the waves well tend not to be overly sporty. Some of the more traditional boats may work better, but don't look as cool. If you get caught up in big waves (and you will if you go anywhere) you might find yourself considering how the boat looks less important than how it behaves.
And you are OK being a bit chilly. In the winter they can be hard to warm up unless it has rear doors.

The Swift Trawler does look like a fishing boat. Fishing boats go out 24/7/365. They look the way they do for quite a few good reasons.
Solo handling is usually OK. The better the access to the side decks the easier it is. How wide are the side decks on sports boats?
Try not to get too sucked in by the exterior look of the boat. As the owner/driver you rarely actually see it. There are loads of 34 foot give or take, boats that will get you where you want to go, stay aboard etc, but might not look as cool but are much better boats. £130K ish gets you into all sorts of great boats that will work well around the UK.
Thanks I didn’t know about the noise with a hard top and you are right I need to take my time finding the right boat, it’s just now I’ve decided I want to get going. Unfortunately, as my wife will be part of the deciding factor, she’s all about lounging etc so it will no doubt be a sports boat.