First Boat - what size?

Dazzer2

Visit site
Single handing a boat - even a large one - in good weather is fine. Docking in wind single handed can be difficult.

You insurer may also have a view of single handing with little experience.

Boats also go wrong and having someone else on board is a good idea as one can helm ( or just look out for boats ) whilst the other deals with the issue.

If you want to solo firstly I would say as a novice don't , but if you must then get a suitable boat for it and in my view don't consider long trips ( Channel Islands ). Just remain coastal.
My wife will be with me most of the time but odd times I will be solo so just want to make sure that when I am, I get a boat that I can handle the boat docking, do you have any suggestions on whether docking with single or two engines is better and the equipment best for this when I am?

Dazzer2

Visit site
Wise words from Kashurst.

If single handing a sports cruiser with a planing hull and outdrives might well be a less than optimal choice as they can be a bit flighty at close quarters. Not all though - we had an S34 that handled particularly well but in reality I am far happier single handing our semi-displacement shaft drive Hardy Commodore 36.
Not sure what you mean with a planing hill?

jrudge

Visit site
My wife will be with me most of the time but odd times I will be solo so just want to make sure that when I am, I get a boat that I can handle the boat docking, do you have any suggestions on whether docking with single or two engines is better and the equipment best for this when I am?
Twin gives to move control docking but the main issue is when it stops. If you are in a med berth with boats either side it is not going anywhere.

If you are on a med berth with nothing either side and it is blowing a cross wind engines are not the issue.

Wind is the enemy - and current I suppose ( the med does not have any ). Without either it just sits there and all is well. With either it moves and you need to get lines on fast enough to stop it doing what it wants to do which can range from tricky to close to impossible it it is really blowing on an open morning.

Yacht controllers etc do help but are not perfect and you need to know how to use it.

Going solo takes time and confidence. I do it from time to time in good weather without issue ( 58 ft boat ) but with crew is simpler and less stressful. I have been doing it for 20 years.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks I didn’t know about the noise with a hard top and you are right I need to take my time finding the right boat, it’s just now I’ve decided I want to get going. Unfortunately, as my wife will be part of the deciding factor, she’s all about lounging etc so it will no doubt be a sports boat.
Noting comments earlier about flighty, planing hull sports boats and how they handle a bit of weather, you might find your wife isn't so keen on boating the first time you get caught out in some lumpy seas, then you'll be single handing all of the time.

A 32ft single engined boat will be a nightmare to berth single handed in any sort of wind. 34/35ft with twin engines and a bow thruster will be much better.

harvey38

Visit site
Noting comments earlier about flighty, planing hull sports boats and how they handle a bit of weather, you might find your wife isn't so keen on boating the first time you get caught out in some lumpy seas, then you'll be single handing all of the time.

A 32ft single engined boat will be a nightmare to berth single handed in any sort of wind. 34/35ft with twin engines and a bow thruster will be much better.
Totally agree.

I originally wanted a single but ended up with a twin and after a bit of tuition and practice on my own I have not looked back. I have a fairly tight berth in Ramsgate so a bit of bow thruster on departure and a little juggling of throttles to get us back in stern to is stress free.

Alicatt

Visit site
Get your wife on the powerboating course too, she will get some confidence on how a boat handles and in handling lines etc. I did it with my wife, when we first met my wife was really not keen at all in anything boaty so much so I sold my last boat in 2007, plus the fact that where I am now living I did not see any great expanse of water.

Over the past few years I have slowly introduced my wife to boats by taking her on cruises on Loch Lomond and then in 2021 we hired a boat to go on the Friesian canals and she loved it, this culminated in last Sept. we were both booked on a PB level 2 course in Largs, the weather was a little lumpy with wind in the f5-f6 range but again with a good instructor she came on great and she got her PB 2.

We bought a 7.5 meter river/canal boat with a small engine, and hopefully through this summer she will grow to like it, boating not the boat! But already she is asking about a bigger boat. :)

Our boat with virtually no keel on the boat it is really at the mercy of the wind and being single engined she turns to port on a dime and to starboard well, there is not enough room on the canal for her to do a slow turn to starboard.

TrondS

Visit site
Hi I’m new here, and looking to buy my first motor boat, I have zero experience of boating although I have just done my Powerboat Level 2 and really enjoyed it so definitely want to get on the water. I’m looking to get a boat that I can stay on for a few nights and go to places such as the Isle of Wight and as I get more experienced go to the Channel Islands. I will be solo and will have to do all the berthing and anchoring on my own. How do you make it easier when doing this on your own?. I’ve looked at the Bavaria 32 or 33 Hard top or the Sealine 34/35 HT, or something similar as I want to use it all year round and even in the winter stay hence the hard top.

Any advice on boat size for a newbie would be greatly received, thanks in advance.
Choose a boat which suits your needs and intended use. This will be much more important than how it looks at the dock.
Someone mentioned a Swift Trawler. This one could be a good option.
Planing boats are mostly affected by winds, while displacement boats are more affected by the currents.

I single hand my own Nord Star 32 in all kind of weather, but always easier to have a helping hand while docking in strong winds.
No matter which boat you end up with, you should practice docking and handling as much as you can. Begin in "calm and nice" weather, and then gradually more challenging conditions.

For winter use I would be looking at boats where I can close the door and turn on the heat.

Notice that many/ most boat builders seem to install (too) small bow thrusters. This is good enough in calm westher, but this is not when it is most needed. The more powerful, the better.

Greg2

Visit site
Not sure what you mean with a planing hill?
Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

There are three main hull designs on motorboats - displacement, semi-displacement and planing (to keep it simple). A displacement hull tends to be deep with a keel and round bilges and the boat will not go beyond is often referred to as hull speed. A semi-displacement boat still has a keel but will have flatter sections aft that enables some hydrodynamic lift and the boat will be able to exceed hull speed. A planing hull doesn’t tend to have a keel, although some have a small keg keel to help directional stability, and is intended, with sufficient power, to lift out of the water and ‘plane’ across the surface. Such boats often have very flat sections aft with less hull in the water. That is a very simple explanation but there is a little more on planing hulls here

With single handed operating it isn’t the sea passage that is tricky it is close quarters manoeuvring and handling lines as well as having to helm the boat. A displacement or semi-displacement hull with shaft drive will tend to be more planted in the water and less susceptible to wind. A planing hull with shafts can be similar but one with outdrives can be a bit of a handful.

Dazzer2

Visit site
Twin gives to move control docking but the main issue is when it stops. If you are in a med berth with boats either side it is not going anywhere.

If you are on a med berth with nothing either side and it is blowing a cross wind engines are not the issue.

Wind is the enemy - and current I suppose ( the med does not have any ). Without either it just sits there and all is well. With either it moves and you need to get lines on fast enough to stop it doing what it wants to do which can range from tricky to close to impossible it it is really blowing on an open morning.

Yacht controllers etc do help but are not perfect and you need to know how to use it.

Going solo takes time and confidence. I do it from time to time in good weather without issue ( 58 ft boat ) but with crew is simpler and less stressful. I have been doing it for 20 years.
I’m now def considering a twin engine

Dazzer2

Visit site
Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

There are three main hull designs on motorboats - displacement, semi-displacement and planing (to keep it simple). A displacement hull tends to be deep with a keel and round bilges and the boat will not go beyond is often referred to as hull speed. A semi-displacement boat still has a keel but will have flatter sections aft that enables some hydrodynamic lift and the boat will be able to exceed hull speed. A planing hull doesn’t tend to have a keel, although some have a small keg keel to help directional stability, and is intended, with sufficient power, to lift out of the water and ‘plane’ across the surface. Such boats often have very flat sections aft with less hull in the water. That is a very simple explanation but there is a little more on planing hulls here

With single handed operating it isn’t the sea passage that is tricky it is close quarters manoeuvring and handling lines as well as having to helm the boat. A displacement or semi-displacement hull with shaft drive will tend to be more planted in the water and less susceptible to wind. A planing hull with shafts can be similar but one with outdrives can be a bit of a handful.
Great thanks I didn’t know, but trying to learn

Dazzer2

Visit site
Get your wife on the powerboating course too, she will get some confidence on how a boat handles and in handling lines etc. I did it with my wife, when we first met my wife was really not keen at all in anything boaty so much so I sold my last boat in 2007, plus the fact that where I am now living I did not see any great expanse of water.

Over the past few years I have slowly introduced my wife to boats by taking her on cruises on Loch Lomond and then in 2021 we hired a boat to go on the Friesian canals and she loved it, this culminated in last Sept. we were both booked on a PB level 2 course in Largs, the weather was a little lumpy with wind in the f5-f6 range but again with a good instructor she came on great and she got her PB 2.

We bought a 7.5 meter river/canal boat with a small engine, and hopefully through this summer she will grow to like it, boating not the boat! But already she is asking about a bigger boat. :)

Our boat with virtually no keel on the boat it is really at the mercy of the wind and being single engined she turns to port on a dime and to starboard well, there is not enough room on the canal for her to do a slow turn to starboard.

That’s sounds great, I’m going to try, hoping getting her on the water might do this

Dazzer2

Visit site

I think I’m now coming to this conclusion, it’s been so helpful hearing all the advice

Bouba

Visit site
You say your wife will be with you most of the time...good. Most of us are probably husband and wife crews. It comes down to practice and assigning jobs....so everyone knows what they are doing in most situation...but the one in the helm seat is in charge. Thirty foot will get you a nice berth and a decent heads, plus the ability to store and prepare food, although we prefer to eat at restaurants. Rather than be hung up on which boat to get, look for the best deal....talk to the owner if possible, if he/she regales with tales of stormy crossings then the boat will probably take you where you need to go. If you are determined to make single handed boating a reality then stand at the helm and think...can I get to the fenders and back to the helm before she spins in the wind ?...can I get to the ropes ?...grab a rope from someone ashore ?....are there trip hazards ?.....are the side decks safe ?

Maxy24

Visit site
You say your wife will be with you most of the time...good. Most of us are probably husband and wife crews. It comes down to practice and assigning jobs....so everyone knows what they are doing in most situation...but the one in the helm seat is in charge. Thirty foot will get you a nice berth and a decent heads, plus the ability to store and prepare food, although we prefer to eat at restaurants. Rather than be hung up on which boat to get, look for the best deal....talk to the owner if possible, if he/she regales with tales of stormy crossings then the boat will probably take you where you need to go. If you are determined to make single handed boating a reality then stand at the helm and think...can I get to the fenders and back to the helm before she spins in the wind ?...can I get to the ropes ?...grab a rope from someone ashore ?....are there trip hazards ?.....are the side decks safe ?
yes a lot to think about

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
You have managed to get contributions from the best of the best on this forum. Without knowing your full circumstances of course I suggest you discount solo (it’s pulling you towards a boat that your wife doesn’t want) and concentrate on what will keep your wife happy to always accompany you on the boat. Even do something she wants to do if she doesn’t want to go boating that day.
eg When in the chandlery and she is looking at overpriced deckshoes say “they would look good on you” and buy them. That will buy you a whole season of rope and fender pulling.
Just sayin’

• Haha
Reactions: vas

Dazzer2

Visit site
You have managed to get contributions from the best of the best on this forum. Without knowing your full circumstances of course I suggest you discount solo (it’s pulling you towards a boat that your wife doesn’t want) and concentrate on what will keep your wife happy to always accompany you on the boat. Even do something she wants to do if she doesn’t want to go boating that day.
eg When in the chandlery and she is looking at overpriced deckshoes say “they would look good on you” and buy them. That will buy you a whole season of rope and fender pulling.
Just sayin’
The wife took these photos last night

amazing, where was this?

Dazzer2

Visit site
Just sayin’
Yes I Think it’s heading that way, I like the way you think, bribery is always a good tactic I just didn’t realise this is what it was going to take to get me on the water ….