First Boat - what size?

Bouba

Visit site
They do seem very quiet. Hardly hear them pottering around the marina. Just needs a bit more styling development to not look like an add on to the bathing platform but getting there. The end of VP is nigh
They have so many advantages....more interior room, easier to service, and easy to do joystick control....also they are future proof...diesel car sales are almost non existent, so supply of diesel might get cut back

Bouba

Visit site
I was going to apologize for the thread drift...then I remembered that Dazzer said his head is already full😂🤣

Lodestone

Visit site
They have so many advantages....more interior room, easier to service, and easy to do joystick control....also they are future proof...diesel car sales are almost non existent, so supply of diesel might get cut back
For all the other things that hydrocarbon wells produce there will always be a fuels fraction at the refinery.. so what to do with it? Dump it or sell it?
The world's militaries run on hydrocarbon fuels, the US military is responsible for 5% of the worlds carbon footprint. Diesel isn't going anywhere.

Bouba

Visit site
For all the other things that hydrocarbon wells produce there will always be a fuels fraction at the refinery.. so what to do with it? Dump it or sell it?
The world's militaries run on hydrocarbon fuels, the US military is responsible for 5% of the worlds carbon footprint. Diesel isn't going anywhere.
No.....I am not so sure...already Shell have announced they are cutting down on the retail of hydrocarbons in favor of electric chargers....but diesel new car sales have collapsed....this could lead to diesel being removed from the forecourt. And if retail sales are cut back then supply to marinas might also more difficult. Just saying.....the arms race between outboard manufacturers has seen the size of outboards grow enormously....manufacturers of boats like simple solutions, selling a boat that only needs a couple of outboards stuck on the back is so easy (and they quote for their boats sans engines, so they appear cheap).
Anyhow this might be too much of a thread drift

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
What absolute nonsense, where do you get this stuff from ?

Hot Property

Visit site
But that's about as far removed from what the OP is looking at as you can get !

Sporty, tick
Accommodation for 2, tick.
Good social area for entertaining, tick
Enclosed cabin for weather protection, tick

They are certainly worth looking at.

Sharp pointy hull good for wave slicing too .

Axopar 28 Cabin

Wife will like the sporty look, no smelly, noisy diesels.....

Dazzer2

Visit site
Again massively overpriced. KAD42’s, old navigation, cherry interior looks dated. I do like the Targa 37 shape but my ideal would be yr 2000 + with simple (no electronics) KAD43’s
Price after haggling £95k
I think it’s worth a look, but felt I would offer around that, it’s so hard just trying to get a good clean boat, think I’ve missed a few

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Sporty, tick
Accommodation for 2, tick.
Good social area for entertaining, tick
Enclosed cabin for weather protection, tick

They are certainly worth looking at.

Sharp pointy hull good for wave slicing too .

Axopar 28 Cabin

Wife will like the sporty look, no smelly, noisy diesels.....
Doesn't look much like a 37/38 ft sports boat though, does it ?

The OP already dismissed the 34 Trawler as looking like a fishing boat, the Axopar looks even more like an angling boat.

Hot Property

Visit site
Doesn't look much like a 37/38 ft sports boat though, does it ?

The OP already dismissed the 34 Trawler as looking like a fishing boat, the Axopar looks even more like an angling boat.

I'll let the O/P decide.

He asked for different views on what he may want to buy.

Axopar make a 38 footer so plenty of choice in the marketplace. Other brands such as Quarken do similar boats.

Quarken - The Art of Nordic Boats

The O/P needs to be aware other options exist, rather than just diesel on shafts or stern drives...

Lodestone

Visit site
No.....I am not so sure...already Shell have announced they are cutting down on the retail of hydrocarbons in favor of electric chargers....but diesel new car sales have collapsed....this could lead to diesel being removed from the forecourt. And if retail sales are cut back then supply to marinas might also more difficult. Just saying.....the arms race between outboard manufacturers has seen the size of outboards grow enormously....manufacturers of boats like simple solutions, selling a boat that only needs a couple of outboards stuck on the back is so easy (and they quote for their boats sans engines, so they appear cheap).
Anyhow this might be too much of a thread drift
Not so much of a thread drift because if you are suggesting outboard engines to the OP then the obvious solution is diesel. They are quiet, reliable and their consumption outstanding in comparison to petrol and its cost. Every petrol engined boat owner in my marina is constantly bitching about the cost of fuel...and they never go anywhere either because it's too expensive..

I am however curious as to what you think will be done with all the fuel made in the course of giving us helium for MRI scans, plastic for catheters, syringes, face masks, road tarmac, engineering polymers, drugs, lubricants and everything else that hydrocarbons give us that can't currently be produced via bio resins etc? It's not going to magically disappear.

Bouba

Visit site
Not so much of a thread drift because if you are suggesting outboard engines to the OP then the obvious solution is diesel. They are quiet, reliable and their consumption outstanding in comparison to petrol and its cost. Every petrol engined boat owner in my marina is constantly bitching about the cost of fuel...and they never go anywhere either because it's too expensive..

I am however curious as to what you think will be done with all the fuel made in the course of giving us helium for MRI scans, plastic for catheters, syringes, face masks, road tarmac, engineering polymers, drugs, lubricants and everything else that hydrocarbons give us that can't currently be produced via bio resins etc? It's not going to magically disappear.
I came back from a boat show yesterday, and I can’t help thinking that outboards are appearing more and more on boats that once would have been inboards....I haven’t suggested any boat to the OP, nor propulsion...I have given my opinion (constructively I hope) on his choices. But when I look into my crystal ball (😂😖) I can see a future where retail sales of diesel are going to be affected....just my opinion

Lodestone

Visit site
I came back from a boat show yesterday, and I can’t help thinking that outboards are appearing more and more on boats that once would have been inboards....I haven’t suggested any boat to the OP, nor propulsion...I have given my opinion (constructively I hope) on his choices. But when I look into my crystal ball (😂😖) I can see a future where retail sales of diesel are going to be affected....just my opinion
The problem with the anti fuels lobby is that it seems to be all opinion and no solution

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Sorry @Dazzer2 we have drifted but it’s interesting
I think diesel (when cheap or environmental pressures) will be taken up more by shipping. Currently they use heavy oil which I think is called Bunker3 and I read that if they get near to California they have to switch to diesel, so it’s starting to happen.
………and use the excess heavy oil to fill pot holes…..result!

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
The problem with the anti fuels lobby is that it seems to be all opinion and no solution
There are solutions....the boat show had many electric boats (and cars and motorcycles)....and we are talking about how versatile and powerful outboards are (to replace diesel).

Portofino

Visit site
Diesels gonna be around longer than the current faddy EV s .
With boats it’s a no brainier .You couldn’t ( or a significant small number of fellow EV boaters ) find enough charge to recharge in a marina fast enough to make any decent passage viable .
Also for bigger planing circa 40 ft up the batt weight would be inhibitive to hull planing anyhow ….for more than 1/2 hr s worth of energy .

Diesels with EGR and add blue are as clean as you can get .Ok this techs not caught on in the marine industry, but it has with cars.
As far as sales EV s are slipping and the gov influences ( via tax breaks ) the buying public, there decisions to buy are skewed by gov policy .Like other policy it’s not necessarily correct it’s political.

The full brunt of EV residuals and final costs of ownership hasn’t dropped yet .

Diesel is the optimum power for fast planing boats .
This is what the OP needs advising , it’s the overwhelming right choice for a used boats taking in reliability, fuel availability, running costs , residual values and ability to offload when done .

Alicatt

Visit site
Sorry @Dazzer2 we have drifted but it’s interesting
I think diesel (when cheap or environmental pressures) will be taken up more by shipping. Currently they use heavy oil which I think is called Bunker3 and I read that if they get near to California they have to switch to diesel, so it’s starting to happen.
………and use the excess heavy oil to fill pot holes…..result!
When I was last on a container ship they had 3 grades of oil for the engines, bunker which is so thick and heavy it has to be warmed to flow, then a lighter heavy oil for steaming off a lot of coasts like Europe and the US of A, then diesel oil for those ports that demand it like in California, that was about 20 years ago too.

Hot Property

Visit site
Diesels gonna be around longer than the current faddy EV s .
With boats it’s a no brainier .You couldn’t ( or a significant small number of fellow EV boaters ) find enough charge to recharge in a marina fast enough to make any decent passage viable .
Also for bigger planing circa 40 ft up the batt weight would be inhibitive to hull planing anyhow ….for more than 1/2 hr s worth of energy .

Diesels with EGR and add blue are as clean as you can get .Ok this techs not caught on in the marine industry, but it has with cars.
As far as sales EV s are slipping and the gov influences ( via tax breaks ) the buying public, there decisions to buy are skewed by gov policy .Like other policy it’s not necessarily correct it’s political.

The full brunt of EV residuals and final costs of ownership hasn’t dropped yet .

Diesel is the optimum power for fast planing boats .
This is what the OP needs advising , it’s the overwhelming right choice for a used boats taking in reliability, fuel availability, running costs , residual values and ability to offload when done .

Best of both worlds then!

OXE Marine - Engineering the Future

Hooligan

Visit site
I started on S58. I know a bigger boat and also has a flybridge so a little more prone to catching the wind. I took a 3 day course with Mendez Marine before I started. I then spent 3 days on the boat - which was in Mallorca where @jrudge is - with someone and we really practised docking and anchoring and manoeuvring solidly. The principles of docking a 58 vs 40 twin engine boat are not dissimilar. I will be honest and say that I am not sure I would have been comfortable taking the boat out solo within the first year if I had to dock at end of day. Sure on a breathless calm day probably no issue but the rule of boating is always to expect the unexpected. My advice to you is choose the boat you are happy being on and suits your collective needs. Do not worry about solo now as priority. Get on the boat with help and then practise and make all the mistakes we all - or at least I - did when we start. You will gradually feel more comfortable and you will know after a while when you are ready to go solo.