Mooring costs French Riviera

Rick Moss

Visit site
Hi all; I guess I haven't logged in here for around 12 years, since I sold my Anglesey-based Sadler 26. Much has changed since then; a love of light aircraft, a child, a divorce and another marriage!

My situation: I have the offer of a free boat from my parents; a 34' blue water cruiser currently lying on the south coast (uk) in perfect fully serviceable condition. It's appealing, but not in the UK; my wife and I love southern France, and are considering accepting the gift of the boat, and moving it to the French Riviera. Whilst the boat is free its ongoing costs are not, and I have no idea what a berth down there would cost for a 34' boat.

Location-wise, the closer to Nice/Antibes the better. We have a aeroplane, so being close to an airport that accepts both light aircraft and budget airlines (Nice does) is important.

Does anybody have any idea of what this would cost? Google has revealed nothing useful!

Thanks in advance.

Fendant

Visit site
Hi Rick, Antibes is the highest cost harbor , NIce is same magnitude. In summer all ports and moorings get crowded.
If you choose a port in the Rhone Delta, like Port Napoleon, cost go down significantly.
Here is their price list : http://www.port-napoleon.com/pdf/2016-brochure.pdf
Another one is Port Leucate which asks 2800 €/year for a 34"
Only issue is the Mistral which frequently hits the coast there. Trying to come back against the Mistral is not advisable in a 34". Taking off and landing in a light prop or jet ac is also a challenge.
Have a look at Ampuriabrava in Spain, it is near Girona and also has a small airport nearby. Don't know if they have customs and immigration as you will fly in from non Schengen. http://www.marinaempuriabrava.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/TARIFAS 2016.pdf
Have a look

colind3782

Visit site
We're in Empuriabrava but we have a private mooring which is significantly cheaper that the marina which would be about €5600 PA. The local main airport is Girona, about 45 minutes away by car, basically operated by Ryanair. The local GA airfield which is home to Skydive Empuriabrava is 2.5km from the marina and can take light aircraft. Santa Margarita, just up the coast is cheaper but with less facilities/restaurants etc.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Well over 20 years ago I was told that berths on mainland South of France were unobtainable and I guess this situation has not improved since. Some of the offshore islands, such as Frioul, might be possibles. Otherwise, as suggested there are ports in the Perpignan area that probably have berths free. Port Leucate is less than half an hour by taxi from Perpignan airport. The problem with all the ports on that coast is that the entrances are shallow and become dangerous in any wind with east or north in it.

Rick Moss

Visit site
Thanks for all the above; much appreciated.

I think that whilst a free yacht is an appealing idea, the reality is that it's too expensive (to keep) for me to justify the level of use I would likely get from it. I also have a concern that after sitting unused for 3-6 months, a significant part of a week-long visit may be spent on repairs and maintenance.

Having previously only had a swinging mooring at buttons per year, I'm surprised that a pontoon birth costs around 3x that of a much bigger hangar space with a maintained runway...

[3889]

Visit site
Not where you are looking but would Southern Brittany hold any appeal? Definitely a climatic step up from the UK, in summer at least. Airstrips at Haliguen on the Quiberon peninsular and at Redon on the Vilaine river. Marinas on the Vilaine are keen to use "port a sec" berthing where you get 5 to 10 2-way lifts per year so your boat is on the hard in your absence. About 2200 euro p/a for a 10m boat at La Roche Bernard for example.

Rick Moss

Visit site
I have heard that saying many times; and can corroborate most of it, with the exception of aircraft. Every aircraft I have owned (and that's 4 in the last 10 years) has appreciated in value during ownership by between 8 and 12% per annum; I'm not based anywhere cheap, but my annual costs, including fuel, for around 100hrs of flying is about £6000; renting would be £12-15k for the same.

Portofino

Visit site
Google Mandelieu La Napoule
Both Airport + Marina - berths are until 2029 if you buy for a 10 M ish visit "port Broker " or "Triangle berth broker "

Also check out La Rague
Both Marina -a stone throw from airport

Ric

Visit site
Port La Napoule. It is almost on the centreline of runway 17/35 at Cannes Mandelieu airport (LFMD), and about 10-15 taxi ride from the airport terminal. It is one of the most pleasant ports on the French Riviera with low charges and friendly personnel, close to supermarkets and restaurants, has a ship-chandler and small technical area (and La Rague is only a mile away for more complex jobs). Best advantage is that unlike any other port on the French Riviera they have twice refinanced the leasehold with infrastructure extensions (with the support of the local council). I fly planes for a living, have my boat/berth in La Napoule and live in La Napoule so might be a bit biased!