Marina fees

Momac

Visit site
And there’s nothing stopping them as they are amongst those that can’t work from home and following the government guidelines.
That's quite correct. I don't know why marinas have completely stopped working on boats providing they can work safely. Some jobs would obviously not be viable like two people needed to work together inside the boat.

However customers travelling to change anodes is another matter.

On the horizon

Visit site
With every marina chain probably represented on this forum could we list what each have offered to berth holders to get a perspective and of course give us information at this difficult time.

MDL wrote a long email with lots of waffle giving us nothing now, but we are looking in to it. (All crane/lifting and non essential staff furloughed (FACT) so the tax payer is paying ) even though running costs are less and marina locked shut with all there fees in.
Dean and Reddyhoff have agreed to refund 50% of April's fees in the form of a credit for lifts or next years berthing fee, possibly May as well.
Premier have I believe written a similiar email to MDL with a similar we will look in to it.
Can we have reports from

Berthon
Yacht Havens
Darthaven
Dolphin Haven Poole
Port of Poole
Island Harbor
Mayflower Marina
Sutton Harbor
ETC ETC
Your help could benefit us all at some stage as this may well last for a while longer yet and although not the top of peoples priorities it may be in the months to come.
Be Safe all
Thank you in advance for your help
Having been away from the water for a few years we decided this year we would dip our toe again & buy another boat , this we did over the winter having found just what we had been looking for, in need of very little by way of Tlc and ready to go the thought of getting back out on the water again this year was exciting to say the least.
Having paid for a berth in advance on the itchen ( Mdl) somewhere we have always kept our previous boats,. The plan was to move her from her current marina on the Hamble (non Mdl) Before her contract expired at the end of March ....Cue Coronavirus and the lockdown, we now find ourselves locked in on the Hamble as her contract has now finished but we cannot move, the Marina in question is now charging us the standard visitor monthly rate With no option or offer to reduce the fee.!!!! I have tried. I am not asking for it to be free as obviously my boat is on a berth in their marina and being looked after but Some consideration would have been appreciated.
In contrast I contacted Mdl explained my situation and they have agreed to defer my contract start date until I arrive which is a refreshing and sensible approach from a big player....needless to say I cannot wait to get her out of where she currently is.

chrisharris

Visit site
Having been away from the water for a few years we decided this year we would dip our toe again & buy another boat , this we did over the winter having found just what we had been looking for, in need of very little by way of Tlc and ready to go the thought of getting back out on the water again this year was exciting to say the least.
Having paid for a berth in advance on the itchen ( Mdl) somewhere we have always kept our previous boats,. The plan was to move her from her current marina on the Hamble (non Mdl) Before her contract expired at the end of March ....Cue Coronavirus and the lockdown, we now find ourselves locked in on the Hamble as her contract has now finished but we cannot move, the Marina in question is now charging us the standard visitor monthly rate With no option or offer to reduce the fee.!!!! I have tried. I am not asking for it to be free as obviously my boat is on a berth in their marina and being looked after but Some consideration would have been appreciated.
In contrast I contacted Mdl explained my situation and they have agreed to defer my contract start date until I arrive which is a refreshing and sensible approach from a big player....needless to say I cannot wait to get her out of where she currently is.
I assume the standard monthly rate is a summer one now, not the cheaper off-season one? If so that does sound more than somewhat harsh, it's not as though you are taking up a slot that would be making them money from visitors at the moment!

Reality61

Visit site
Our MDL Marina in Poole is now allowing lifts for anode changes and relaunch, however this has to be done by using a tenant or registered contractor which at least gives owners piece of mind.
There are conditions that must be met but at least it is some action that is positive.

With every marina chain probably represented on this forum could we list what each have offered to berth holders to get a perspective and of course give us information at this difficult time.
Be safe everyone.

Reality61

Visit site
I assume the standard monthly rate is a summer one now, not the cheaper off-season one? If so that does sound more than somewhat harsh, it's not as though you are taking up a slot that would be making them money from visitors at the moment!
Our Marina has allowed proffessional skippers to move two boats from our marina to Lymington. These were both bigger boats and the owners wanted to take up there berths to not incur any extra charges.

chrisharris

Visit site
Our Marina has allowed proffessional skippers to move two boats from our marina to Lymington. These were both bigger boats and the owners wanted to take up there berths to not incur any extra charges.
One of the slightly odd situations at the moment, it's 'ok' to hire someone else to move your boat, but it's not ok for you to move it yourself!

chrisharris

Visit site
It's their job so they are working. It's your hobby so your not. :)
Yup, and understood, but from a limiting contact, spreading virus etc viewpoint, there is little difference! Ultimately the risk I guess would be an owner doing a simple ferry may be more inclined to make a somewhat longer (non essential) trip (with greater risk of breaking down, requiring rescue etc) than a paid skipper....

bbriansim

Visit site
One of the slightly odd situations at the moment, it's 'ok' to hire someone else to move your boat, but it's not ok for you to move it yourself!
Well said Chris, in these difficult times I am not allowed to clean my boat but I can pay a contractor to clean it, how does that make sence to anyone. How are a team of three people not allowed to lift boats when they can social distance?

On the horizon

Visit site
Correct, it is the summer rate, I can only assume they have a berth holder due on that berth who cannot now get there or has cancelled his contract and this is topping up the pot so to speak.
Either way, I haven’t paid yet and am adverse to doing so.
You would have thought as it was a berth holder prior to me buying her with a contract that expired on the 31st March they could have continued charging the berth holder rate on a month by month basis during the lockdown as other marinas are doing, that I would of been happy with.

jeni

Visit site
Hi Guys - This is a difficult time for everyone and for us our Marina fees are due in early July. I am a self employed Driving Instructor and train people to become Driving Instructors so the business has completely stopped and we have no idea when I can go back to work as social distancing means the DVSA have stopped all tests we think until July.

My partner is also self employed and cannot work. We have been with MDL for over 30 years. I have spoken to MDL and had no support at all so we are not sure if we can continue to keep the boat as paying the Marina fees are way down on our list. We are fortunate to have a small amount of savings to live on while we wait for our Self employed grant in June.

In the last month I have been in contact with over 70 berth holders some have already put their boats on the market and some have no choice, one for example is a wedding caterer so no income at all now, one runs a cafe and has had to put that on the market . Many Bertholders also have Marine mortgages. I think this is a time for everyone to support each other BUT there does not seem to be any support from the "big guys" our friend is with a smaller Marina and they have offered all their Bertholders 50% off and a extended payment period with no fees for anyone who is struggling with fees.

I understand that the Marinas "Run" a business but how they treat us now is how we are going to remember them when we renew. The general view is that Marinas have lost NO income from berth holders and are expecting full payments. I was told the "tenants" needed support and had to remind MDL that without the berth holders the "tenants" such as the bars, restaurants and boat valets would have no work!

I have 5 Driving Instructors working for me and cannot charge any franchisee fees as they have zero income. We are now considering our options and may decide to move to another Marina or even put the boat on the market.

If you cannot afford to pay the fees then please contact your Marina rather than just stopping the direct debits as some have said they have had to do. Don't expect much support I was basically advised to "go back to work" as I cannot work from home! This is against Government advice for Driving Instructors besides which my ADI insurance does not allow any teaching unless "key workers". So no surprise I WONT be taking that advice!

We have our fingers crossed that things will get sorted out in due course and we can return to work and to our boats and for those of you without any income and forced to sell your boat this year my thoughts are with you.

If you HAVE paid up front for the year and are in dire straights you many be able to ask the Marina to refund you in full and go onto a DD payment plan, some have offered this and its espeically useful if you are intending to sell your boat.

Reality61

Visit site
Really sorry you are up the creak without a paddle, you will not be the last with a problem, we our selves will have to make vast decisions if this continues into July our situation is similar to yours we work on a one to one basis so we could be one of the last to get back to normal.

I so far am disappointed that other forum members have not shared there marina notifications, I was hopeful that this would give us all an insight into the possibility of what is achievable to assist us in carrying on our hobby in the months and years to come.
We can already see there is a North South divide as marinas in the South are mainly closed to berth holders.

Dorset Dan

Visit site
We have been with MDL for over 30 years. I have spoken to MDL and had no support at all so we are not sure if we can continue to keep the boat as paying the Marina fees are way down on our list.

Have you contacted Tim Mayer as per the MDL e-mail that was sent out last week? You should definitely do so if not, as it would be staggering for a 30yr customer, of a business which is built on recurring income, to receive no support and gesture of goodwill.

In your case, with a such a long history with MDL, in my view they should give you these 3 months for free, let alone a deferral or 'credit' - after all, if you have been duly paying berthing fees for 360 months and as such 3 months represents a drop in the ocean at the one time you need some help.

If they decline to assist, then MDL would be very short sighted, and if I were you I would be moving to another marina group on principle. And bad news travels fast, and if you have already been in touch with 70 berth holders and posted here then that's not going to be positive for them.....

Ian h

Visit site
I am / was with MDL decided to move to an independent Drystack in Southampton. I.E. next door for 30% less than MDL want.
due to lockdown my boat is still with MDL
But I called and email the assistant manager and we have come to a mutual agreed arrangement.
have to say though after being at the same MDL marina for 10 years they were not interested in getting anywhere near the private drystack prices. Even after I pointed out if I left and they only got a smaller boat say 28-30 feet they would not be getting as much money as for my 36foot boat.

Reality61

Visit site
It is really the moral issue and customer service, we have been with them for 25 years ourselves, the tax payer is paying for a lot of staff, most of their money was in for 1st April ! No lifting means no revenue yes, but lifts can take place within the guidelines as they are more than 2 metres apart. So it would only be for a short time at there choice.
There is lifting for Anodes at our marina and relaunch but this has lots of conditions attached. Which some that make sence others I question.
I have always felt a little taken for granted but this confirms it, I feel sorry but dont hold your breath on getting help this would be misguided within the current emails from HQ.

What are the other chains doing ???? Come be bold, tell us, we want to compare !!

On the horizon

Visit site
Hi Guys - This is a difficult time for everyone and for us our Marina fees are due in early July. I am a self employed Driving Instructor and train people to become Driving Instructors so the business has completely stopped and we have no idea when I can go back to work as social distancing means the DVSA have stopped all tests we think until July.

My partner is also self employed and cannot work. We have been with MDL for over 30 years. I have spoken to MDL and had no support at all so we are not sure if we can continue to keep the boat as paying the Marina fees are way down on our list. We are fortunate to have a small amount of savings to live on while we wait for our Self employed grant in June.

In the last month I have been in contact with over 70 berth holders some have already put their boats on the market and some have no choice, one for example is a wedding caterer so no income at all now, one runs a cafe and has had to put that on the market . Many Bertholders also have Marine mortgages. I think this is a time for everyone to support each other BUT there does not seem to be any support from the "big guys" our friend is with a smaller Marina and they have offered all their Bertholders 50% off and a extended payment period with no fees for anyone who is struggling with fees.

I understand that the Marinas "Run" a business but how they treat us now is how we are going to remember them when we renew. The general view is that Marinas have lost NO income from berth holders and are expecting full payments. I was told the "tenants" needed support and had to remind MDL that without the berth holders the "tenants" such as the bars, restaurants and boat valets would have no work!

I have 5 Driving Instructors working for me and cannot charge any franchisee fees as they have zero income. We are now considering our options and may decide to move to another Marina or even put the boat on the market.

If you cannot afford to pay the fees then please contact your Marina rather than just stopping the direct debits as some have said they have had to do. Don't expect much support I was basically advised to "go back to work" as I cannot work from home! This is against Government advice for Driving Instructors besides which my ADI insurance does not allow any teaching unless "key workers". So no surprise I WONT be taking that advice!

We have our fingers crossed that things will get sorted out in due course and we can return to work and to our boats and for those of you without any income and forced to sell your boat this year my thoughts are with you.

If you HAVE paid up front for the year and are in dire straights you many be able to ask the Marina to refund you in full and go onto a DD payment plan, some have offered this and its espeically useful if you are intending to sell your boat.
Jeni;
Have you spoken with your marina and clarified your situation to them?
I assume your boat is still at said marina and being looked after?
You are obviously in a difficult situation like many of us but you do seem to be suggesting that your marina fees that are not due until July should not be requested by the marina!! Or have I got this wrong?
If your boat is at the marina surely the marina are providing the usual service as best they can, boat on a berth or ashore and being looked after, the fact that none of us can get to our boats is hardly reason to offer free berthing!
Personally I Paid for my berth in advance and my marina has agreed to defer my contract start date until I arrive as I am locked in where I am and having to pay an additional un budgeted amount to them for god knows how long.
I am sure that if you were to contact them they would allow you to pay by direct debit witch would assist you with your budgeting
While we all wait to find out how long this will continue.

Chi Man

Visit site
Really sorry you are up the creak without a paddle, you will not be the last with a problem, we our selves will have to make vast decisions if this continues into July our situation is similar to yours we work on a one to one basis so we could be one of the last to get back to normal.

I so far am disappointed that other forum members have not shared there marina notifications, I was hopeful that this would give us all an insight into the possibility of what is achievable to assist us in carrying on our hobby in the months and years to come.
We can already see there is a North South divide as marinas in the South are mainly closed to berth holders.
I have had the corporate email from Premier as you have seen in other posts. I emailed them and asked for a waiver of fees (mainly to gauge their reaction) but their response was negative: "At present, berthing fees remain due"............This was not helpful "We will certainly be remembering those berth holders who have continued to show us loyalty and payment of their berthing fees to best underwrite our ability to care for your boat" .............This was not pleasant and ambiguous............"The additional good news is as a contracted and paid up berth holder, once your free of charge 8 weeks ashore have been exhausted we will not be charging any additional storage fees." my boat is currently ashore due back in the water on 30th March so this was a little insensitive. My reaction to their comments as in this post have been heavily censored !!!!.