Sorry, me again. Old(er) Volvo Petrol Engines

ZebraSmasher

Visit site
Couple of boats I like with the following petrol engines (stern drives). There's not much online about these engines, and few (no more then 3) boats for sale with those engines either (probably a bad thing, right?).

Volvo AQ211 (recently serviced)
Volvo Penta 230A

Can I get spares? Will anyone service them? Will I need a new engine in a couple of years/weeks?

I'm not a hands-on-let's-get-this-engine-stripped-down type of person. But I might know someone who could help, possibly.

Fuel consumption and lack of pumps not an issue; boat resale and chance of needing to buy a new engine probably should be.

Thanks.

Momac

Visit site
They have survived well over 30 years .
So they could be on borrowed time .
Maybe you should be looking for something that is more of a river boat with a less powerful outboard or shaft drive.

Ask the marina about servicing costs for the engine and sterndrive and whatever they say double it. Don't forget to factor in the crane for lift out and back in plus antifoul.
If you are paying folks to do all the work it costs the same or probably more for an old boat as it would for a new £100,000 boat of this size.

Consider a cheeky offer , like about £5000 below the asking price.

Paul1962

Visit site
Am I right in thinking these engines are based on car engines? If so, some components
could easily still be available. Marine (Volvo only) items like heat exchangers could
easily be rare and expensive.

ZebraSmasher

Visit site
They have survived well over 30 years .
So they could be on borrowed time .
Maybe you should be looking for something that is more of a river boat with a less powerful outboard or shaft drive.

Ask the marina about servicing costs for the engine and sterndrive and whatever they say double it. Don't forget to factor in the crane for lift out and back in plus antifoul.
If you are paying folks to do all the work it costs the same or probably more for an old boat as it would for a new £100,000 boat of this size.

Consider a cheeky offer , like about £5000 below the asking price.
Thanks for your continuing help!

I'll try and get an idea of costs. I left a message with somewhere local-ish yesterday but I've have had no reply :(

I was thinking of going in a bit (lot?) lower than I had originally planned. If I don't get it it's not the end of the world, but a win if I do! Or I could just wait a bit. There are a couple of boats that are currently under offer that I'd prefer (a little bit bigger and newer).

@bowler, Sealine 215 and a Pace Reflection 23. Mid-80s and early 90s boats. A good entry in to boating, and ideal for me and my sister/nephews/etc.