Marina fees

funinthesun

Visit site
A ‘friend of mine’ is with the big one in Southampton. Noticing an undone canopy and a wide open helm sliding window on a newish quality sports cruiser close to him, (the boat is alongside the main walkway) he decided on an experiment. Though it pained him he watched the regular walk arounds by the staff for 3 days, none of them did anything. In the end And following a rainy night he obviously rectified the matter himself. I wonder how well the boats are being looked after during the lockdown, particularly with less staff on hand. I think a gesture from marinas is in order and I’m guessing theres quite a lot of reduced costs, maintenance , waste, wear and tear etc etc. As already said were all supposed to be in this together..

Meagain

Visit site
Does anyone know if Hamble point MDL is open for professional works. As no reply to emails. Feels like they’ve locked up shop having taken our money !

oldgit

Visit site
Ah yes, airfields.

When we retired in 2014 my wife and I discussed whether we should celebrate by buying an aircraft or a boat.
The only plane I ever owned personally was a single seat open cockpit job powered by a VW Beetle engine with a ridiculously short range (nevertheless, I flew it to north Africa one long-ago summer). But we had owned shares in nicer planes over the years and one of our best holidays was touring France with the seats taken out of the back of a C172 so we could carry folding bikes. We both like flying and my wife was the best VFR navigator you could ever hope to have in the pre GPS days.
Our conclusion was that planes are fun but airfields are, generally speaking, carp. They are usually miles from anywhere, the cafes are almost all greasy spoons, you can't sleep or cook in a plane, and with every year that passes there are fewer destinations in the UK.
We decided a boat would be a lot more fun, and we were right. Many marinas (not all) are nicer than airfields. The little harbours, like Padstow and Bembridge and Polperro (see my avatar), are much nicer. The out-of-the-way places like Snape and Skomer are just wonderful.

I'm not surprised the airfields are being as difficult as the marinas about not passing on the rates savings to the owners. Not surprised at all.

Lagos.jpg

Nice . PFA ?
Microclimate.
You might remember that the temperature on any airfield always drops by 10C and the wind increases by 15 knots compared to when you left home.

Q.How can a cup of coffee cost £100.00. ?
A. Fly a light aircraft ?

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Well....as of today we are allowed out for non essential reasons with social distancing. Ive never seen so many power washers on the pontoon!

A139660A-2733-4F1E-B053-9A478CF28882.jpeg82C313C9-9893-47AA-94AE-DB523DA81790.jpeg
no doubt you’ll all have the same joys to come. I’m sure the shitehawks eat superglue! The red is blood ??? not mine though.

dont think we will be allowed out to sea just yet but at least I can potter. Hopefully they will let us out in Manx waters only at some point. Can’t see our borders being open anytime soon.

jrudge

Visit site
I flew for 15 or so years - mostly a Piper Arrow. I gave up as

a. the aircraft was new by comparison but was 1974 ....
b. I had just had a child and was concerned at the risk ( I had 1200 event free hours so there was little driving it)
c. we bought a boat and there was not time to do both .
d. the days of using light aircraft to get you someone unique were mostly past as LOCO carrier would take you to most airfields

I used to describe it as a Ford Sierra with wings. I had a lot of fun, but as you say airfields held little appeal and you could not sleep in it .

Ironically a plane ( which I owned a third of) cost nothing compared to a boat.

All part of life rich pattern.

Sneds

Visit site
We are with Quay Marinas, BoatFolk if you must and as stated by another D&R customer earlier, we have been given a credit note equal to 1/2 of a month's mooring cost, gratefully recieved
What was nice was a recent e-mail saying they are "looking after" our boat, checking leccy and lines and attached, two photos of our boat!
Love it!

Mr Googler

Visit site
Is this an experiment on the island to see how it influences new cases ?

They feel we have a handle on it (1 new case is past 3 days) so have allowed construction trade back to work and are focused on social distancing and hand hygiene whilst giving people more freedom. No gatherings allowed etc....We have done contact tracing for any cases since day one, developed on island testing and oxygen generation. The main reason for any success IMHO is border control. It’s been shut (even to residents off island) for 4 weeks. We then had what we had. Residents wanting to come back are in enforced (with security) isolation for 14 days at the cost of up to £1k ahead.

oh....and the police/courts don’t mess about. 20 odd people in the nick....some for having no good reason to be out (not the first offence of course). Scottish fisherman fined £5k for entering Manx outer harbour having never stepped off the boat.

Momac

Visit site
They feel we have a handle on it (1 new case is past 3 days) so have allowed construction trade back to work and are focused on social distancing and hand hygiene whilst giving people more freedom. No gatherings allowed etc....We have done contact tracing for any cases since day one, developed on island testing and oxygen generation. The main reason for any success IMHO is border control. It’s been shut (even to residents off island) for 4 weeks. We then had what we had. Residents wanting to come back are in enforced (with security) isolation for 14 days at the cost of up to £1k ahead.

oh....and the police/courts don’t mess about. 20 odd people in the nick....some for having no good reason to be out (not the first offence of course). Scottish fisherman fined £5k for entering Manx outer harbour having never stepped off the boat.

It does sound remarkably well under control .
What a shame the same philosophy hasn't been applied on our island too.

Wavey

Visit site
We are with Quay Marinas, BoatFolk if you must and as stated by another D&R customer earlier, we have been given a credit note equal to 1/2 of a month's mooring cost, gratefully recieved
What was nice was a recent e-mail saying they are "looking after" our boat, checking leccy and lines and attached, two photos of our boat!
Love it!
I’m at Haslar with D&R (BoatFolk) and they also sent me a picture. I noticed a small problem which wouldn’t have been obvious to them but it was quickly sorted. They get a big thumbs up from me.

nicho

Visit site
Nice . PFA ?
Microclimate.
You might remember that the temperature on any airfield always drops by 10C and the wind increases by 15 knots compared to when you left home.

Q.How can a cup of coffee cost £100.00. ?
A. Fly a light aircraft ?

I fly a Piper Archer, but follow the saying “if it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it”. Mind, I own the boat and I haven’t been charged yet for the latter, though again, the service has been slashed in recent years?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I fly a Piper Archer, but follow the saying “if it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it”. Mind, I own the boat and I haven’t been charged yet for the latter, though again, the service has been slashed in recent years?
You do Indeed and very well .

Attachments

• 6C6FE744-F807-40F7-8A9C-817405C1C431.jpeg
    6C6FE744-F807-40F7-8A9C-817405C1C431.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 22

Reality61

Visit site
All MDL marinas are closed to everyone except TENANTS, toilet facilities are locked, some of their marinas are offering a lift with Anode replacement by tenants and approved contractors only. NO HULL WASH All lifts payable by your employed tenant or contractor, this then raises the issue that as berth holders we get a bigger discount on lifts. WIN win for the marina again!!.
They could loose a lot of customers if they fail to act like other chains. There information at the moment recognizes that they will need to look at this when we there is an end date as is the similar message from Premier marinas. WE could all get a bottle of wine who knows !!
Not forgetting those that replace anodes themselves now finding they have to employ somebody at a high cost to undo a few nuts and bolts plus anodes and inflated lift., rather than risk the chance or erosion, meaning another lift later on to help the balance of payments I suspect.
Morals are now for me in question as well as the staff furloughed it seems we pay they win. !!

On the horizon

Visit site
All MDL marinas are closed to everyone except TENANTS, toilet facilities are locked, some of their marinas are offering a lift with Anode replacement by tenants and approved contractors only. NO HULL WASH All lifts payable by your employed tenant or contractor, this then raises the issue that as berth holders we get a bigger discount on lifts. WIN win for the marina again!!.
They could loose a lot of customers if they fail to act like other chains. There information at the moment recognizes that they will need to look at this when we there is an end date as is the similar message from Premier marinas. WE could all get a bottle of wine who knows !!
Not forgetting those that replace anodes themselves now finding they have to employ somebody at a high cost to undo a few nuts and bolts plus anodes and inflated lift., rather than risk the chance or erosion, meaning another lift later on to help the balance of payments I suspect.
Morals are now for me in question as well as the staff furloughed it seems we pay they win. !!

On the horizon

Visit site
I don’t think you will find that is correct, Where is your evidence of this occurring?? Something you heard and just couldn’t wait to post!
I’m sure as a berth holder, if I could be lifted and chose to do so I could pay for it myself and get any applicable discount, and as such I could also instruct an engineer to change my anodes etc.... for which I would pay the engineer for doing so, as per normal.
No company carrying out work on a customers boat will want to pay for the lift out , why would a business take on the risk of a customer not paying them!

Or

I could also choose not to be lifted.