Marina fees

ari

Visit site
I saw on a Facebook page that a company is offering to simply dangle an anode in the water on a wire and connect it to the boat's bonding system. Problem solved, no lift needed.

Reality61

Visit site
I don’t think you will find that is correct, Where is your evidence of this occurring?? Something you heard and just couldn’t wait to post!
I’m sure as a berth holder, if I could be lifted and chose to do so I could pay for it myself and get any applicable discount, and as such I could also instruct an engineer to change my anodes etc.... for which I would pay the engineer for doing so, as per normal.
No company carrying out work on a customers boat will want to pay for the lift out , why would a business take on the risk of a customer not paying them!

Or

I could also choose not to be lifted.

The information is on the berth holders facebook page and clearly gives the conditions of lifting at Cobbs Quay.
Most people who own boats could change anodes themselves. Many do, but are not allowed entry in to the marina (Which is part of the governments restrictions on non essential travel which we all agree is correct) these people will now have to possibly engage a tenant or approved contractor to do the work should they feel it is important enough to protect there boats rather than let there underwater gear rot.
If the marina does not take your payment ( It clearly states tenants or approved contractors to pay) then there discount on yard services is less than ours as a berth holder.
So in some extreme cases people may well be out of pocket twice ( Possibly engaging an engineer for the first time and paying more for a lift out ). Put in to this that washing the hull off is not included then many will have to have a second lift later in the season which might well be an additional cost for some. If indeed there are slots available due to the backlog of lifts.

Richard.C

Visit site
I saw on a Facebook page that a company is offering to simply dangle an anode in the water on a wire and connect it to the boat's bonding system. Problem solved, no lift needed.

Do people leave their anodes on so long that an extra couple of months risks damage?

Maybe I'm the only one who changes anodes when there's probably a years life left.

chrisharris

Visit site
I have been giving some thought to the maintenance items that may suffer in the weeks we may be away from our boats. Anodes probably not a major issue for most as they normally get changed well before end of useful life so will have life left, batteries are certainly an issue if they are left uncharged for too long, engines probably ok if recent-ish oil change. My biggest concern at the moment is corral worm, in particular when it gets onto the shafts as they sit in the cutlass bearings. Only way to keep it off is rotate the shafts. Don't want to have to have a lift just to clean them off, but risk damage to the bearings if it gets too bad. I assume there will be similar issues with outdrives...?

Reality61

Visit site
I have recently hear that diesel may go off and be a problem in the tanks, although most use an additive I am not sure if marine diesel will go off.
Some of the modern common rail systems are fussy on fuel anyway, so this might be a problem.. The last thing we need is injector issues as that if it goes wrong means serious engine repair costs.
Does anyone know ?

chrisharris

Visit site
I have recently hear that diesel may go off and be a problem in the tanks, although most use an additive I am not sure if marine diesel will go off.
Some of the modern common rail systems are fussy on fuel anyway, so this might be a problem.. The last thing we need is injector issues as that if it goes wrong means serious engine repair costs.
Does anyone know ?
Diesel bug is certainly an issue, and will get worse over time, I believe that higher FAME content will also make this worse, hopefully most red diesel is currently FAME free.....

Seastoke

Visit site
Well....as of today we are allowed out for non essential reasons with social distancing. Ive never seen so many power washers on the pontoon!

View attachment 89003View attachment 89004
no doubt you’ll all have the same joys to come. I’m sure the shitehawks eat superglue! The red is blood ??? not mine though.

dont think we will be allowed out to sea just yet but at least I can potter. Hopefully they will let us out in Manx waters only at some point. Can’t see our borders being open anytime soon.
I use a photo of Bruce k , to keep the gulls off .

ari

Visit site
Does anyone know ?

Bearing in mind that many boats come out of the water for 4-6 months without issue, I can't see that this is something to worry about too much just yet (although I suppose if it's on top of a 6 month spell ashore...)

Visit site
Dand R are really setting standards in marina management.

Yes they are, I’m not so sure Quays would of done the same.
I did get a bill for hire of boat stands for April though, a tad cheeky I thought as it’s not like I had a choice, hopefully be able to get her back in the water soon though.

philipm

Visit site
Yes they are, I’m not so sure Quays would of done the same.
I did get a bill for hire of boat stands for April though, a tad cheeky I thought as it’s not like I had a choice, hopefully be able to get her back in the water soon though.

Yeh I just received a bill for boat stand hire as well which, considering I wanted the boat in the water a month ago, seemed ill-judged on their part. However they have given a credit of 50% of the month's mooring fees so I won't make a fuss.

Seastoke

Visit site
We have got a lift out for anodes and AF on Thursday , oh and a polish obviously. Has anyone tried polishing AF. Stay safe SS