Most Expensive Visitor moorings 2024

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I imagine that the Solent prices are nothing to many sailing there. A boat with six on board going out for a weekend meal on Saturday night might only have to pay £15/head, which they’ll scarcely notice in the grand scheme of things.

I think that is true. I get involved with my employers regatta and the charter fees are significant, as are the mooring fees at some locations we visit. However, all berths are get booked, maxed out on the charter fleet and individual costs are low for a 3 night, 4 day, event.

I think lustyd’s point on inflation is very true, and we will see upward pressure on prices, even after last years price hikes. New marinas are not easy to establish and I wonder how profitable they would be if built today.

As retirement looms, I wonder if the higher cost of a marina pontoon is worth it compared to the inconvenience of a swinging mooring. Also, my sailing style will likely change to longer sails, less time at the mooring.

Scotland has an abundance of free anchorages, even beside the facilities near to a marina, so mooring costs should be low when on the water.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Yep, we did a lunch stop in Sant Antonio marina 20022, couldn't afford the overnight. But anchoring opposite was free.
Two nights in Marina Formentera, neighbouring island, at €140 per night seemed almost reasonable.

A mere bagatelle: We got chatting with a mainiero at the Porto Cervo Marina in Sardinia during the 'good old days' when you could anchor within the harbour, clear of the marina's pontoons for free; you could get water and use the marina showers for free too - who advised that an overnight high season berth for a <12m boat (their smallest size) was €190/night. When I suggested that nothing on earth would get me to pay those rates, he went on to tell me that I needn't worry as i wouldn't get chance... if I wanted a high season berth, I would have needed to pre-book it by the previous Oct/Nov at the latest.
That was almost twenty years ago, so God knows what they charge nowadays.

Lucy.wj

Visit site
Lets have some fun not certain how this will work out let’s go with a 10m boat (easy maths). Your welcome to include less costly marinas to see how they compare.

I will endeavour to keep this first post updated.

With Solent:
£93.50 Southsea Marina - (2x £22 harbour dues, and 1x £49.50 marina fees),
£74.00 Sparks Marina - Up to 12.5m £5.20 per metre plus electric £21.50
£52.50 - Beaulie Overnight - Walk ashore £5.25 meter. Including electric.

Outside Solent:
£89.00 St Catherine’s Dock - Walk ashore 10m <12m, £8.90 per metre per night
£52.50 Sutton Marina Plymouth - £5.25 a meter

Scotland: 🤨
£42.00 Largs - £4.20 meter

Those that sail in Scotland please be quite or the big buoys will turn up and put your prices up up there😣😂🤣😂…. Yes it’s cheaper than anything in England.

£38.00 a night or less…
This is a fascinating conversation, very variable!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
A mere bagatelle: We got chatting with a mainiero at the Porto Cervo Marina in Sardinia during the 'good old days' when you could anchor within the harbour, clear of the marina's pontoons for free; you could get water and use the marina showers for free too - who advised that an overnight high season berth for a <12m boat (their smallest size) was €190/night. When I suggested that nothing on earth would get me to pay those rates, he went on to tell me that I needn't worry as i wouldn't get chance... if I wanted a high season berth, I would have needed to pre-book it by the previous Oct/Nov at the latest.
That was almost twenty years ago, so God knows what they charge nowadays.
Prices at the link below, water electricity etc add a few tens of euro so nearing 200e in high season. Note 12m berths have a maximum beam of 3.7m which is quite low by modern standards, a 12m Loa and 4m beam would be allotted the upper category so ending up paying about 400euro daily.

Tariffe – Marina di Porto Cervo

Friends took a mooring buoy in Portofino, they were given a price of a few tens of euro, say 40-50, they said ok why not, then they were told it was the hourly rate.

colhel

Visit site
Be interesting to see what availability will be this year compared to the last 2 or 3. We're looking at staying 3 weeks peak season on the IOW somewhere but I don't want to pre-book too far in advance as we hope to move around ad hoc (a bit)

johnalison

Visit site
Be interesting to see what availability will be this year compared to the last 2 or 3. We're looking at staying 3 weeks peak season on the IOW somewhere but I don't want to pre-book too far in advance as we hope to move around ad hoc (a bit)
Although from the East Coast, we used to pass that way fairly often. As with many places, the trick is to get settled in somewhere, preferable inexpensive, before the weekend and sit it out until the place clears a bit. Places such as Yarmouth without shore access make a good base for exploring the island by bus or hire car.

SaltyC

Visit site
'afraid as an impoverished northerner I am astounded by the prices in Lake Solent. I understand Chichester harbour charge per day for anchoring, so overnight is 2 days??? I may be able toconfirm in a few months!

My cynical view is we are veiwed as a cash cow for their incompetence and inneficiecy so can afford to pay. After all, if you have a YACHT you are a Millionaire.

xcw

Visit site
I always consider the mooring buoys at Yarmouth to be a bit of a rip off. £40.50 for a 40 footer to bounce around outside of the harbour, oh, and also the same cost to anchor.

Zing

Visit site
Prices at the link below, water electricity etc add a few tens of euro so nearing 200e in high season. Note 12m berths have a maximum beam of 3.7m which is quite low by modern standards, a 12m Loa and 4m beam would be allotted the upper category so ending up paying about 400euro daily.

Tariffe – Marina di Porto Cervo

Friends took a mooring buoy in Portofino, they were given a price of a few tens of euro, say 40-50, they said ok why not, then they were told it was the hourly rate.
Wow, that’s nuts expensive! A fraction of the price is available elsewhere in Sardinia. Still less in Sicily.

lustyd

Visit site
I understand Chichester harbour charge per day for anchoring,
Chichester don’t charge for anchoring. They do have harbour dues but I’ve only been asked once in 12 years of anchoring. I’m sure they collect more often at East Head but we almost never anchor there as it’s crowded 😂

Rappey

Visit site
You can anchor for free in portsmouth harbour ! I often see visiting boats go up the harbour a little further and use a vacant mooring. No one seems to mind - or charge.

doug748

Visit site
I always consider the mooring buoys at Yarmouth to be a bit of a rip off. £40.50 for a 40 footer to bounce around outside of the harbour, oh, and also the same cost to anchor.

If correct that is bizarre, the moorings off Yarmouth are not in a harbour, just an open roadstead. How far away from Yarmouth do you have to go not to be charged I wonder? Worthing, Boulogne? I would have to run up the F O flags at that one..

The serious point is that these port authorities were given statutory, monopoly powers to manage on behalf of us all. However it begins to look like some are indulging in empire building, bloating turnover in order to employ more jobsworths, buy more Ribs, ticket machines and peaked caps.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I'd read about the price hike in Langstone earlier in the year on FB. I was sceptical they would apply the fees as I have never been charged for the plenty of visits I have made in previous years. Sadly it sounds like a place to avoid now unless the Chichester bar conditions are dangerous. As a Chichester sailor popping into Langstone was just a change of scenery or easy daysail lunch...not worth paying through the nose for. Plenty of free lurking in Portsmouth harbour.

Stemar

Visit site
If correct that is bizarre, the moorings off Yarmouth are not in a harbour, just an open roadstead. How far away from Yarmouth do you have to go not to be charged I wonder? Worthing, Boulogne? I would have to run up the F O flags at that one..

The serious point is that these port authorities were given statutory, monopoly powers to manage on behalf of us all. However it begins to look like some are indulging in empire building, bloating turnover in order to employ more jobsworths, buy more Ribs, ticket machines and peaked caps.

Just go round the corner to Newtown Creek, where anchoring costs whatever you want to donate, or you can tuck in behind the headland outside, well sheltered from the SW, and no one will bother you.

doug748

Visit site
Just go round the corner to Newtown Creek, where anchoring costs whatever you want to donate, or you can tuck in behind the headland outside, well sheltered from the SW, and no one will bother you.

Yes. But the point is that these people are overseeing a public asset where the infrastructure, which belongs to us all, has been gifted to them.
I get the distinct impression that some harbourmasters are posturing as if they are managers in the private sector.

lustyd

Visit site
Yes. But the point is that these people are overseeing a public asset where the infrastructure, which belongs to us all, has been gifted to them.
I get the distinct impression that some harbourmasters are posturing as if they are managers in the private sector.

I watched this video yesterday which shows effectively the opposite approach taken in Norway which has led to a tiny country of 5.5 million people owning 1.5% of all listed companies worldwide. All it took was to decide on shared, public ownership of assets. For some reason in the UK we keep falling for the same scam over and over and then complain when we're worse off.

onesea

Visit site
€771 for a 16m yacht and they still don't have space :ROFLMAO:

Happened to me once at Beaulie. I booked in advance to be told, by man in Dorry sorry no space for your size boat. Even though 8 had pre-booked.
I said "Fine what size do I have to pay for?".

We had dogs that where desperate and a table booked with friends ashore. The guy looked puzzled I looked at my boat it was 19' long.

"Well the available berths are not going to be any shorter" I added.

He had quick conversation on the radio and I was told 3 x going price for boat of size, I said fine. We where still sent to a buoy far up river.
After digging out the dinghy inflating and paddling up current to get to the pontoon. Deputy assistant harbour master told us "you cannot park there" when I discharged wife and dogs on the end of the pontoon to get to facilities.
I was then rudely told "people pay allot of money to berth thier boats here". I pointed out "that my money obviously was not good enough".
By the time I got to harbour office I was politely advised that a 19' berth was immediately available, at regular price if I wished.