Lighten up!

zoidberg

Visit site
No, nowt to do with the tortuous, contentious Online Content Bill, but very much about our nav lights.

Having gadded about in sailing boats large and small, far and near, for over 50 years, I'm conscious that the 'Intensity of lights' requirements described in Annex 1 to the ColRegs - really, the Visibility of Lights detailed in Rules 22, 23, 23 and 25 - haven't changed in all those years ( notwithstanding '1996' ).

We still are required to exhibit sidelights/sternlights visible theoretically at only 2 and 3 miles respectively.

You can count on the fingers of one hand how many minutes that gives the watchkeeper on a cross-channel ferry - if alert, looking your way, and his/her windows are clean - to 'observe' you, determine risk of collision, decide, AND carry out any required avoidance manoeuvres.

It's not often the listed optimum 'atmospheric transmissivity' of 13 miles is achieved in The Channel. More often, it's less than half that. And I frequently see the light(s) of small craft, powered and sail, only within 1 mile. No, there's nowt wrong wi' my night vision, nor my scan pattern.

I reckon most boatbuilders and their clients fit the very bare legal minimum in terms of nav lights. And in this age of cheap and powerful low-current draw LED replacements for our trad incandescent bulbs, I consider that a very false economy.

I want to be seen at the MAXIMUM visibility my fittings and my batteries will support, so I've fitted lights and lamps which should, at the least, treble my visible range over the bare legal minimum. The cost is negligible.

o_O

Boathook

Visit site
My lights are aquasignal and over the years I have changed the fittings and bulbs to LED. Made the lights a lot brighter for less power.
There are or were some on here who said changing from incandescent to LED bulbs was 'illegal' but the colour looks ok along with the separation.
I am dubious how much notice some take of light colours as for a season my tri-light was 90 degrees out and no one mentioned a thing. I only found out when up the mast and had the lights turned on for a test. I blamed the crew and the crew blamed the skipper for the alignment.
The light got sorted and the blame discussion was amiably sorted out over a few beers ...

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Another option, not often seen, is red-over-green on the mast. Particularly useful on rotating masts. This is shown in addition to deck level sidelights, unlike a tricolor, which is just one point of light.

It could be argued that sails might obstruct the lower light, but this is a USCG image.

sailing-lights3.svg

billyfish

Visit site
I to have changed all bulbs to LED . Now thinking of a amber beacon for that moment when you can see them but can they see you.

billyfish

Visit site
Or maybe a light aircraft strobe. You can see them for bleeding miles. Anyone know of a aircraft scrap yard

thinwater

Or maybe a light aircraft strobe. You can see them for bleeding miles. Anyone know of a aircraft scrap yard

Not a legal light except for specific circumstances (flashing light for distress, which is different from a strobe).

Rule 36: For the purpose of this Rule the use of high-intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.

At best, it will be mistaken for a fishing gear marker, but not a boat.

---

You really need to read Colregs to understand lights.

andsarkit

Visit site
I am just changing over my low level sidelights for LED. It seems that at 8m long I can fit 1nm lights which are good for up to 12m boats. I can't see any sense in smaller boats not wanting to be seen as easily as a larger boat so I have ordered 2nm lights rated for up to a 20m boat.
I have already fitted a series 34 replacement tricolour at the masthead rated for up to 20m boats.
Power consumption can't be a problem with LED lights so I don't think they should even be allowed to sell the 1nm lights for small boats.

Supertramp

Visit site
I have an LED aquasignal at the masthead. Nice bright light. But when I am heeled over I notice the glare off the red or green on the sea, implying the light is part focused by the lens into a bright horizontal beam, now angled up or down by 15 degrees. I imagine my visible range will be less when heeled over.

The visible range may be less than you think in less than perfect conditions, especially with sea level lights. I wonder if larger ship watch keepers note and log the bearing of a small vessel light to check how the bearing changes over time?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I am just changing over my low level sidelights for LED. It seems that at 8m long I can fit 1nm lights which are good for up to 12m boats. I can't see any sense in smaller boats not wanting to be seen as easily as a larger boat so I have ordered 2nm lights rated for up to a 20m boat.
I have already fitted a series 34 replacement tricolour at the masthead rated for up to 20m boats.
Power consumption can't be a problem with LED lights so I don't think they should even be allowed to sell the 1nm lights for small boats.
The logic of lower intensity lights for smaller vessels seems to be that if a watchkeeper can't see any navigation lights, he must be close to a vessel under 12m :)

Refueler

Visit site
No matter what power your side lights are ... it does not take large wave or swells to obscure your lights from another. Remember that others are not staring for long periods in ONE direction ... your intermittent light between crests is only a short period ....

As an ex OOW of ships .... I applaud those who shine a light on their sails or if mobo along deck to get attention. As to strobes / tricolours / amber etc. - I am dead against as I think they are less effective and can lead to confusion. IMHO as an ex OOW

thinwater

I honestly dont give a -oss as long as I'm seen. French fishing boats use amber beacons...get over it. Get noticed. Live a bit longer.

You could just do whatever you want. I suggest driving with your high beams on. People will see you.

This thread is about what is proper, legal, and considerate.