Boat for single-handed sailing?

D

Deleted member 36384

One thing you can be sure of is that for every single handed piece of advice you get on here, there will be folks out there successfully single handing following the exact opposite of that advice.

It's a funny old world.

Long-John Silva if you have not read this http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/SinglehandedTipsThirdEdition.pdf then do so as it may help guide you. I understand that the writer is big in the amateur single handed race circuit i.e. he has to do this out of his own pocket.

eddystone

Visit site
One thing you can be sure of is that for every single handed piece of advice you get on here, there will be folks out there successfully single handing following the exact opposite of that advice.

It's a funny old world.

Long-John Silva if you have not read this http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/SinglehandedTipsThirdEdition.pdf then do so as it may help guide you. I understand that the writer is big in the amateur single handed race circuit i.e. he has to do this out of his own pocket.
I read that a while back - if I recall he is fairly dogmatic about tillers so OP wouldn’t want guidance from that quarter!

ashtead

Visit site
This might fit the bill (no pun intended!)
https://www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com/brokerage/boat/6615837/hanse-342

Not too far away from me at Dartmouth- perhaps a nice trip and an overnight stop at a Travelodge?
I would only suggest the hull colour might not appeal to all but maybe that is reflected in the asking price. That said as has been said by other posters your choice when you start looking at a certain age say a 2009 or younger in a certain bracket is limited unless you get lucky and find a well cared for example where the owner is giving up or moving to a Nimbus mobo or suchlike due to health reasons. Someone at our marina picked up a small Hanse for just this reason so if this brand attracts have a chat with the agents in Hamble point and see if you can fix a test sale or be bold or see what Hanse owners site might have on offer. If you are looking to ease berthing you might get lucky a find one with a bow thruster plus the self tacker and heating and cockpit tent . We started off a few years ago when the £ was much stronger versus euro but soon realised choice in nearly new was quite limited for low age boats in certain size range and price if Nordic makers ruled out. You end up with a very limited range of makers ultimately and so it's down to which features you might prize which cannot be added.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
This might fit the bill (no pun intended!)
https://www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com/brokerage/boat/6615837/hanse-342

Not too far away from me at Dartmouth- perhaps a nice trip and an overnight stop at a Travelodge?

No, that’s a terrible choice.

Utterly terrible in every way. The colour is all wrong, clearly it’s far to nice to actually risk as a first time boat, plus of course it’s the rare three cabin option , and comes almost fully kitted out... which means you wouldn’t have the pleasure of going to the boat show and buying a whole Bunch of electronics...

I’ll tell you what, to save you from the ignominy, I’ll buy it and take away the temptation.

shaunksb

Visit site
I KNOW about reefing and lines to a cockpit: that's why I didn't ask.

To be fair to our comrade, Comrade Red, you pointed out you inexperience and dislike for a tiller as well as a dislike for self tacking jibs and for lines not led back to the helm as well as a preference your own company.

Then you show us a boat with a self tacking jib, no lines back to the helm and three bloody cabins.

How are we expected to know what you are really set on?

My 2p worth.

Red gel coat will be harder to touch up when you scrape it.

You will get a fair bit of windage off a boat like that.

A boat with a prop shaft can give you a healthy dose of prop walk which often makes manoeuvres more predictable. Although these seem to be becoming a rare breed.

Hope this helps,

RobF

Visit site
The Tiller / Wheel steering thing has almost as many dogmatic adherents as anchors. Each to their own preference (and each will give strong reasons as to why they prefer their choice).

From what OP's original post, it would seems that many AWBs built in the last 10 years will satisfy his requirements, although my suggestion is to choose a boat where either

1. the mainsheet can be adjusted from the helm position
  2. the autohelm has a remote (or a remote can be retrofitted)
Some boats will have slightly more of a cruising focus (e.g. the Bav), whereas others will have more of a sporty focus (e.g. Elan or Dehler) - the OP will know whether they are a 'tweaker' or not. I therefore suspect that asking for opinions on which AWB is best will reveal the choice that other forumites have chosen. So my 'idea' for a suitable boat is to go to the place where most boats are for sale (Southampton area) and spend a few days wandering around the myriad of boatyards and chatting to the brokers there.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I almost age with you, 57 next year and do the same type of sailing you hope to do and getting the boat ready for long passages when I give up the day job.

Personally, I prefer wheel steering, everything is brought back to the cockpit, kept simple and never snags.

Most boats will do what you want, but I settled for a 10 meter fin keel about 30 years old as the keel was solid.

Take time choosing your vessel and get one you love.