Raising boom for sprayhood

doug748

Visit site
I have always thought that a sprayhood is the single best improvement you can make to the accommodation in a small boat.

As per your plan Twyfordbridge, I always sail with the hood down unless the weather is unpleasant. Think carefully about the windows, those huge wide awake ones you see in some sprayhoods are not the best for folding, nor are they easy to replace when they go milky. A companionway hatch cover could complete your ensemble:

Make This Companionway Hatch Cover In Under a Day

A window in it is nice and a couple of battens mean you don't need all the fasteners.

Daydream believer

Visit site
1. I don't have winches or lines on cabin top aft.
2. I don't remember seeing a Leisure 23 with such either.

But your comment doesn't make sense anyway ... how much clearance do you need for a winch and handle ??

Here's the hood on my 25 ... excuse the wife !!

i4TmM9jl.jpg
Fair comment. My statement was more of a generalisation
You may not have cabin top winches, but many boats do & trying to apply weight to a winch whilst doubled up is a recipeite for pulling a back muscle

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I have always thought that a sprayhood is the single best improvement you can make to the accommodation in a small boat.

As per your plan Twyfordbridge, I always sail with the hood down unless the weather is unpleasant. Think carefully about the windows, those huge wide awake ones you see in some sprayhoods are not the best for folding, nor are they easy to replace when they go milky. A companionway hatch cover could complete your ensemble:

A window in it is nice and a couple of battens mean you don't need all the fasteners.

I got both " windows" replaced by Suffolk Sails 5/6 years ago for approx £100. Still clear and flexy. I do wipe them down with fresh water occasionally but the material is as good as new.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It would be a very rare occasion when I would need to get to the mast. If you look closely ( a bit blurred, sorry) everything leads back to the cockpit. Never have a problem with winches or seeing where I am going.
Each to their own Daydreamer? ( wake up in a grumpy mood or what)?
The OP was asking about fitting a sprayhood not necessarily your opinion of their need or usefulness?
It is good that you do not have to go forward. Presumably the anchor fairy or the fender elf rigs the mooring lines etc for you. Some say that they would never have an issue going forward anyway, because they never go out in choppy weather. It is good that they have the forethought of a weather man & never get caught in chopy seas. Perhaps they never go sailing
I know that you did not ask for opinions, but it sometimes helps to consider all aspects, before continuing. Sometimes comments are made that one has not even considered. Once the backache starts it can be too late.
But to each his own & more people have them than not.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Brilliant example. What do you do here? Stand in the cabin to get more height so you cannot see the sail going up?
Kneel on the cockpit seat to try & use the winch so you cannot use the winch properly.Then fall off the seat in a swell.
Stand with one knee on the seat & one leg on the cockpit floor & have one's head up behind he bar whilst trying to.
look up to see the sail & reaching under to work the winch handle which goes out of reach on the farthest stroke.
To go below do you double up & reverse to go down.
What do you hold on to when going forward?

Refueler

Visit site
Fair comment. My statement was more of a generalisation
You may not have cabin top winches, but many boats do & trying to apply weight to a winch whilst doubled up is a recipeite for pulling a back muscle

Why would you be doubled up with my sprayhood .... just because I can see over it - does not mean my head is above it ! To have whole head etc above it - I would need be half standing on cockpit bench ...

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Brilliant example. What do you do here? Stand in the cabin to get more height so you cannot see the sail going up?
Kneel on the cockpit seat to try & use the winch so you cannot use the winch properly.Then fall off the seat in a swell.
Stand with one knee on the seat & one leg on the cockpit floor & have one's head up behind he bar whilst trying to.
look up to see the sail & reaching under to work the winch handle which goes out of reach on the farthest stroke.
To go below do you double up & reverse to go down.
What do you hold on to when going forward?
Goodness, what an issue you have with this. Its a small sailing cruiser, I am fit and flexible. I never have any of the problems you envisage. Once the main is up its up? All 6 winches are easy to wind if one knows what one is doing? I can certainly bob down below without any concerns of concussion. 5'8" , under 11 stone, flexible and fit.
When going forward I either hold on to anything available or a can of Adnams Bitter HoHo.
If you don't like my boat, fair enough. I have sailed Barges, racing yachts, Mirror dinghies and 2 years ago I raced on helm Sceptre, the Squadron Atlantic contender (!). Now I have a Leisure 23sl for my pleasure and leisure, am also a member of their club. You should pop up one sunny day and have a trip out with me? Sounds like great fun.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
It is good that you do not have to go forward. Presumably the anchor fairy or the fender elf rigs the mooring lines etc for you. Some say that they would never have an issue going forward anyway, because they never go out in choppy weather. It is good that they have the forethought of a weather man & never get caught in chopy seas. Perhaps they never go sailing
I know that you did not ask for opinions, but it sometimes helps to consider all aspects, before continuing. Sometimes comments are made that one has not even considered. Once the backache starts it can be too late.
But to each his own & more people have them than not.
I am nimble on my feet and my only concern after hauling anchor is not getting muddy hand marks on my sprayhood on the dash back to the helm. Hope that helps answer that concern?
I have moved pianos around most of my life and have fortunately not had this backache you keep talking about.
Hernia yes, ha.
You are now identified as the Man Who Seriously Doesn't Like Sprayhoods. Fair enough, but try not to be so grumpy its not good for stress, which can develop into serious backache?

B27

Visit site
Having sailed boats with and without sprayhoods, , yes it requires caution to get forward of the hood.
You need to respect that and take care.

But on balance, I'd not be without a hood now, except for a racing boat.
As much for shelter from the sun and from weather at anchor/when moored as for spray when underway up wind.

It's good to sort your systems to minimise the need to go forward.

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
If you can easily see over the top when sailing, it is obiviously too low when you want to use a cabin top winch
I have spray hood issues :( It skims the top as I tac

That’s a good idea Doug. I will have to have something made up with clear section sewn in. 👍

Refueler

Visit site
Was it already on when you bought the boat, or did you have the maker come to your boat and measure up if you if you bought the hood yourself? If the latter, I would ask them to come back and rectify it.

I have just had my hood replaced and the pattern was altered to better clear boom ... fix to deck and guide water to sides ... the change was to lead 'canvas' slightly more fwd - pulling that main frame a cm more fwd - this changed the angle and height by a few mm ... but pulling the front hoop more fwd - brings the rear hoop more fwd as well .. so a compromise must be arrived at .... read on ..

The fact of boom skimming the hood frame is common and not something to just simply alter hood frame height etc. - that's the crux .. its the frame - not the 'canvas' ...
Also alter the 'set' of the main / kicking strap etc and you also alter the 'set' of the boom ...... which means that depending how I set my main - I could be brushing the hood again.

Here's the yard setting the original existing frame and then pattern hood :

qVrnCTum.jpg

G8SKDkam.jpg

lW33niLm.jpg

zan7xgLm.jpg

YEA1QTRm.jpg

Yard checking normal set of main for measurements before finalising new hood.

IMG-20230614-WA0003.jpg

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Was it already on when you bought the boat, or did you have the maker come to your boat and measure up if you if you bought the hood yourself? If the latter, I would ask them to come back and rectify it.
It was fine before I had a new saill made, that caused the boom to drop low enough to touch the canopy.