Shrimper 19 for channel crossing

Pontyfraq

Visit site
The Solent is just an area I happen to know.
Likewise I could have said Plymouth to Falmouth,
There are probably other places around the coast with quite a few places to go, I'd assume the OP has a map of his own area. Maybe even a pilot book or similar with details of local places to stop.
Yes plan is probably to find a mooring on the blackwater, which should provide plenty of interest. Most of my previous dinghy sailing has been in Falmouth, Friesland and west coast of scotland.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Read post#1 - and many of the OPs subsequent posts. Very clear what his intentions are - although in true forum fashion largely ignored by other posters.
That was the point I was making.. He did not say he was going to sail the Solent. did he.
BUT if he wants a mooring on the Blackwater I can put him in touch with the H M & i can lay a mooring for him at St lawrence Bay off Stone Sailing club

Pontyfraq

Visit site
That was the point I was making.. He did not say he was going to sail the Solent. did he.
BUT if he wants a mooring on the Blackwater I can put him in touch with the H M & i can lay a mooring for him at St lawrence Bay off Stone Sailing club
Well, I thought I had but happy to clarify anything - the original question was whether a shrimper 19, which I fancied for creek exploring coastal overnighting - would be suitable for the very occasional channel crossing, especially to the Frisian isles. Sounds like the consensus is that it would be, but I might get more out of other boats. I’ve been grateful for all input so far!

[edit - sorry @Daydream believer i seem to have responded to a previous draft. And thanks v much for the kind offer! I’ll bear that in mind once I’ve made more progress with my research…]

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I for one would not want to try punching a Shrimper along the Wallet against a 1 metre chop if I had to get home one weekend. I am not sure what creeks you want to explore on the east coast from the Blackwater that needs a really shallow keel.

Sea Change

Visit site
That means covering the same bit of water, if you have to go back to where you started every time. You will soon get fed up with that & start missing weekends. Then the hassle of maintenance, antifoul painting etc will catch up with you & the whole sailing thing will fall apart. I advise a boat that will go places. Sail it every 3-4 weeks for long weekends etc & enjoy planning the next trip. Look forward to it & do something different each time so the maintenance thing is worthwhile. Then it becomes a great hobby. Not a noose round your neck.
We all use our own boats differently. E.g. by your own admission, you never use your anchor. So your experience of sailing is very much a minority view.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
I for one would not want to try punching a Shrimper along the Wallet against a 1 metre chop if I had to get home one weekend. I am not sure what creeks you want to explore on the east coast from the Blackwater that needs a really shallow keel.
Fair enough. Shall draft would be as much for the Waddenzee - which is the medium term aim - as for the black water.

ylop

Visit site
... especially to the Frisian isles. ...
If you get that far then I'd recommend the Issjelmeer and Markermeer as well. Really well set up for the sailing tourist - you might need to learn to use a box mooring but that is all part of the adventure.

doug748

Visit site
Well, I thought I had but happy to clarify anything - the original question was whether a shrimper 19, which I fancied for creek exploring coastal overnighting - would be suitable for the very occasional channel crossing, especially to the Frisian isles. Sounds like the consensus is that it would be, but I might get more out of other boats. I’ve been grateful for all input so far!

[edit - sorry @Daydream believer i seem to have responded to a previous draft. And thanks v much for the kind offer! I’ll bear that in mind once I’ve made more progress with my research…]

If you like the vibe of a gaffer and see the attraction of a bigger boat, one of these would do the job nicely:

1716987984266.png

Skanner 24 for sale Ireland, Skanner boats for sale, Skanner used boat sales, Skanner Sailing Yachts For Sale 1986 Skanner 24 - Apollo Duck

That particular example looks a cracker, though has the complicating factor of being in Ireland.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Shrimper 19------There's one on Ebay for £9750. Outboard engine and on a trailer in Scotland but you can't always get (exactly) what you want.

MikeBz

Visit site
One thing to look out for when buying a Shrimper - lift the floorboards either side of the keel box and look for rust coming through the gelcoat. Ballast in the form of iron or steel is moulded in and can rust and break through. This happened on our 1987 example (which was only discovered when we sold, subsequently I found out that this wasn’t a one-off occurrence).

Pontyfraq

Visit site
One thing to look out for when buying a Shrimper - lift the floorboards either side of the keel box and look for rust coming through the gelcoat. Ballast in the form of iron or steel is moulded in and can rust and break through. This happened on our 1987 example (which was only discovered when we sold, subsequently I found out that this wasn’t a one-off occurrence).
Cheers. I’ve read that the engine exhaust ejector elbows in yanmar inboard models often corrode, and that the keel lifting wire is a weak spot. any other things to look for?

Sea Change

Visit site
Cheers. I’ve read that the engine exhaust ejector elbows in yanmar inboard models often corrode, and that the keel lifting wire is a weak spot. any other things to look for?
Exhaust elbows are a consumable item, they'll last a few years. It's not specific to Yanmar, it's just what happens when you have hot saltwater and metal together. They corrode from the inside so it's generally impossible to tell the condition without dismantling, which is not something you can really do during a viewing or survey. I wouldn't worry about it, just buy some chemical metal to get you home if it springs a leak.

Tranona

Visit site
The 1GM has a very specific mode of failure of either the weld of the inner tube to the flange or perforation of the inner tube, usually caused by lack of anti syphon valve in the water feed hose. 30 minute job to check and the aftermarket elbows seem better and not expensive. 1GM has well known and easily dealt with foibles mainly to do with the seawater cooling system. I ran one for 15 largely trouble free years.

Sea Change

Visit site
The 1GM has a very specific mode of failure of either the weld of the inner tube to the flange or perforation of the inner tube, usually caused by lack of anti syphon valve in the water feed hose. 30 minute job to check and the aftermarket elbows seem better and not expensive. 1GM has well known and easily dealt with foibles mainly to do with the seawater cooling system. I ran one for 15 largely trouble free years.
I had a 3GM for several years, and replaced the elbow. Is there anything fundamentally different about the 1GM?

Tranona

Visit site
I had a 3GM for several years, and replaced the elbow. Is there anything fundamentally different about the 1GM?
Basically the same design, but the single cylinder seems more prone to failure of the weld and from sucking water back in which can wreck the head.

MikeBz

Visit site
Nothing that I recall. Ours wasn’t an inboard. They are great boats, the cockpit is huge and great for day sailing and creek crawling. I think for going further afield I’d be looking at spending similar money on a Sadler 25/26.