Shrimper 19 for channel crossing

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
. . . One reason this boat appeals is because it feels like a big dinghy, and I think I’d feel more confident manoeuvring, generally being in control. Though watching ‘Toby goes sailing’ I can also see that leaving sight of the coast makes a small boat feel, well, small! . . .

. . . with these criteria in mind, do you have any other recommendations? . . .

Every boat feels small once you are out on the open sea!

Boats actually get easier to handle as the size increases - e.g. they are not so tippy as you move about the deck - up to a point arguably around 30 feet. I can say that with confidence having cruised in my own boats of 16 ft, 17 ft, 22 ft, 23 ft, 27 ft, and in others' larger boats.

My recommendation is that you don't worry about identifying a specific design/model, that would be inordinately limiting. Unless you are buying new, the condition and equipment is more important than the exact model. Instead decide roughly what sort of size and price, and make yourself a list of what are your essential requirements and your 'nice-to-haves'. Then look around at the various boats that meet your criteria - that will give you a much wider choice of possibilities (and you will probably refine and revise your preferences as you go).

Pontyfraq

Visit site
Really helpful insights - thanks everyone! I’m not wedded to a shrimper. I think I am keen on a bilge or retractable keel, as I imagine most of my day sailing will be estuarine, and the only longer passage aspirations I so far have are to explore the waddenzee, where this would also be good.

dunedin

Visit site
....... One reason this boat appeals is because it feels like a big dinghy, and I think I’d feel more confident manoeuvring, generally being in control. ...
No idea if within budget but I found the Westerly Fulmar was a great boat changing from dinghy sailing - sails brilliantly, tiller steered, and 3/4 rig that could play the mainsheet in gusts.
BUT it also was very seaworthy, could go anywhere and brilliant interior.
Just the headlining to fix

srm

Visit site
If you want to go offshore there is no substitute for waterline length, the longer the better. Small boats tend to get stuck between the waves that a longer boat will ride over giving faster and more comfortable passages. The smallest cruising boat I have owned was 29ft, and it was easy to handle. I then moved up to 42ft, this took a bit more fore thought in confined spaces but was still easy to handle. Both had hank on headsails and I sailed both single handed with the aid of wind vane steering. I have also sailed on smaller "cruising" boats so have something to compare with. I managed to get a day sail out on the Clyde once, the skipper asked me if I had sailed on a cruising boat before. Without thinking I said "Yes, but its a long time since I have been on one so small".

I am not suggesting that the OP goes for a 42 ft boat, just wanting to reinforce the other suggestions that a longer boat will be more suitable for the ideas discussed, both for passage making and stay aboard comfort.

With the requirement for shallow draft and taking the bottom I had a lot of fun with a small Prout catamaran. It was easy to sail in confined spaces under the big headsail, could be safely sailed into shallow water until the keels met the bottom, made offshore and coastal passages the length of the UK, and was very comfortable to live aboard for extended lengths of time.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I think a Hunter Liberty / Minstrel might be a better choice than a Shrimper if you want a very shallow boat that dries out well and is easily trailable, but also want to sail it across the Channel from time to time. The Shrimper has a very big cockpit that as far as I know isn't self-draining, and this would be a bit of a no-no for me personally for the use you suggest. It's also pretty tiny inside for a longer trip.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
I think a Hunter Liberty / Minstrel might be a better choice than a Shrimper if you want a very shallow boat that dries out well and is easily trailable, but also want to sail it across the Channel from time to time. The Shrimper has a very big cockpit that as far as I know isn't self-draining, and this would be a bit of a no-no for me personally for the use you suggest. It's also pretty tiny inside for a longer trip.
Thanks, these both look v promising

Daydream believer

Visit site
Difficult to see how any of this relates to the OP's question which was whether a Shrimper was appropriate choice for single handed sailing and perhaps across the North Sea. Nothing about fettling a cheap old boat, or "saving" money on storage or launching. These are all a product of your imagination seemingly prompted by knowing of an old Sadler that needs work! Could not be further away from what the OP is looking for.
That does not fall in line with comments from other forumites does it? They are already suggesting a shrimper may not be the best option & the OP has suggested he may be open to suggestions.
Threads evolve ----whether you like it or not

Pontyfraq

Visit site
That does not fall in line with comments from other forumites does it? They are already suggesting a shrimper may not be the best option & the OP has suggested he may be open to suggestions.
Threads evolve ----whether you like it or not
Yep, I’m thankful for all thoughts and comments. I could probably prevail on friends and fam to do the odd trailer sail for me and am def open ideas. But equally, not sure a Sadler will go on the list!

Wansworth

Visit site
I sailed a open three quarter decked Matlot class dinghy cruiser(18foot) from Plymouthto Chichester back when I was younger.Open boats bobble about on top of the sea…….and you will feel you have achieved something🙂

srm

Visit site
Years ago John Seymoursailed a Coble across the southern North Sea ……..it was an open boat.A certain amount of courage is needed!
Look up Frank Dye's voyages with a Wayfarer dinghy: includes passages to Norway, Faroe, and I think Iceland. Anything is possible with enough single minded determination, yet much lesser mortals such as myself would like some creature comforts and the ability to avoid survival conditions.

Sea Change

Visit site
Look up Frank Dye's voyages with a Wayfarer dinghy: includes passages to Norway, Faroe, and I think Iceland. Anything is possible with enough single minded determination, yet much lesser mortals such as myself would like some creature comforts and the ability to avoid survival conditions.
Iceland indeed.
And Webb Chiles got most of the way round the world in a Drascombe Lugger.

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
He did stink a bit though, so I am not sure what conditions are like on a Drascombe
The ones I sailed, Lugger and Longboat, were open boats. The Longboat was the better to sail, again the advantage of more waterline length. They did produce one with a small cabin forward, I think on the Longboat hull, but can not see it having much more than a shelf to sleep on and very limited headroom. Saw one when we were in Tinker's Hole anchorage, off Mull, and thought it could be a nice way to camp/cruise amongst the islands if you could guarantee fine weather.

DownWest

Visit site
I met a chap in Ostend who was in a Drascombe. He was on his way SH to sail the Riddle of the Sands. He did stink a bit though, so I am not sure what conditions are like on a Drascombe
Recently read 'The LugWorm Chronicles' about sailing a Drascombe Lugger about Greece, then all the way back to UK. Very good.
Also, some friends in the DCA sailed their 14ft ballasted dinghy over to the Frieslands and have crossed the Channel more than once. Then there was the two guys who sailed a lugger from UK to Oz.