Shrimper 19 for channel crossing

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I recommend OP gets some offshore experience, which I guess they will do if they're planning coastal skipper soon. Try Phoenix YC if you're in the solent area.

For me, they joy of yachting is in going somewhere - exploring and seeing places. So I would think small boat fine for the solent where there are all these creeks and anchorages and harbours within a day's sail but, for me, I'm happy when I'm leaving the solent behind. If you're keeping your boat in Salcombe or Dartmouth or somewhere then you're in open water as soon as you come out the river entrance - you are immediately "offshore".

And the point I have been leading to is that every 1' you add to a boat's waterline length is in the middle - in the cabin where you want space, and it also adds to the beam (adding stability, I think?). I think you may be surprised how much more spacious a 23' boat is compared to a 19' one.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
60k def too rich for my blood. I’m thinking 10-20k. It seems you could get a 24ft crabber for that, but probably not a very good one.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
I recommend OP gets some offshore experience, which I guess they will do if they're planning coastal skipper soon. Try Phoenix YC if you're in the solent area.

For me, they joy of yachting is in going somewhere - exploring and seeing places. So I would think small boat fine for the solent where there are all these creeks and anchorages and harbours within a day's sail, but if you're keeping your boat in Salcombe or Dartmouth or somewhere then you're in open water as soon as you come out the river entrance - you are immediately "offshore".

And the point I have been leading to is that every 1' you add to a boat's waterline length is in the middle - in the cabin where you want space, and it also adds to the beam (adding stability, I think?). I think you may be surprised how much more spacious a 23' boat is compared to a 19' one.
Yes, I fully intend to get some proper off shore exp before committing to anything! And point taken about the exponential (sort of) advantages of waterline length. I suppose what I have to decide is whether I want a mainly coastal cruiser capable of the odd longer passage, or something bigger that I can be on for longer. Realistically, apart from the one waddanzee adventure I want to undertake, I’d guess the majority of my sailing would be weekends, one night aboard.

Tranona

Visit site
60k def too rich for my blood. I’m thinking 10-20k. It seems you could get a 24ft crabber for that, but probably not a very good one.
Inboard Shrimpers vary +/- £20k depending on age and equipment. For similar money you can get a really good 24 like this one here boatsandoutboards.co.uk/boat/1979-cornish-crabbers-24-mk1-9332722/ which is a far more capable boat for both coastal and offshore sailing while still retaining the style and character. Running costs will be higher but you are unlikely to outgrow the boat as quickly if at all.

Pontyfraq

Visit site

Geoff Wode

Visit site
If you are looking for nominations for a small cruising boat I have to mention the hunter Horizon 23.

We bought ours last year after having looked at several small cruising boats. The key features were a proper 4 berth boat, with standing head room, a proper separate heads compartment with a sea toilet, and a small galley with a gimballed 2 burner stove. Twin bilge keels draws about 0.9 metres, and sails pretty well.

I bought mine a couple of years ago and I’ve spent quite a bit updating, replacing and improving. The aim was a cheap to run, first yacht. It’s small enough that berthing it in a marina in a place I want to sail isn’t overly burdening. With new sails, it goes really well. It’s very dinghy like with fractional rig, large main and that’s how you sail it.

At the OP’s budget, the Ranger 245 becomes an option and that’s a cracking boat.

A Crabber does look amazing, though.

B27

Visit site
Yes, I fully intend to get some proper off shore exp before committing to anything! And point taken about the exponential (sort of) advantages of waterline length. I suppose what I have to decide is whether I want a mainly coastal cruiser capable of the odd longer passage, or something bigger that I can be on for longer. Realistically, apart from the one waddanzee adventure I want to undertake, I’d guess the majority of my sailing would be weekends, one night aboard.
Before I bought my boat, I looked around at al the sailing I might do. I'm on the SW channel coast, so I have a range from day sails up and down rivers, weekends or a few days around Devon and Cornwall and longer trips to France, Scilly or beyond.
So it seemed to me I could buy quite a small boat and do a lot of shorter trips, or a bigger boat which would be good for longer trips.
I looked at the costs and convenience of various mooring and storage options and went for a 28ft boat on a fairly cheap mooring as a compromise. I generally do a couple of longer trips a year on other people's boats, and I can explore creeks by canoe if I want.
I could afford the capital and running costs of a bigger boat, but I don't think I'd get enough extra value from it.
Likewise I could moor a smaller boat cheaper, but I don't think I'd use it so much. Too many days when it would be 'not prudent' to be at sea in something under say 20ft.

There are loads of capable boats in the 25ft to 35ft range which are cheap enough to buy, but the mooring and running cost can escalate.

What I am saying is there is a whole menu of sailing and when you pick your boat that choice of inter-acts both ways with the choice of sailing you do. There are a few places I'd like to go which I feel my boat is not optimum for, so I will either change my boat one day or seek opportunities to go with someone else. It seems to be an irony that you're more likely to be offered a place on other boats when you've already got your own.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If you are looking for nominations for a small cruising boat I have to mention the hunter Horizon 23.

We bought ours last year after having looked at several small cruising boats. The key features were a proper 4 berth boat, with standing head room, a proper separate heads compartment with a sea toilet, and a small galley with a gimballed 2 burner stove. Twin bilge keels draws about 0.9 metres, and sails pretty well.

One of the many boats we looked at was a Hunter Minstrel 23. A lot more money and only 3 berths , only sitting headroom, a porta potti toilet, and a single burner portable gas cooker.

Clearly budget is not the limiting factor here if you are considering a Shrimper or similar, as lots of people have said for less money you will get a larger, better cruising boat. Just go and look at everything for sale close to you and view them with an open mind. We ruled several out after viewing either because of the lack of headroom, poor layout or just poor condition.
You can get the Horizon with a fin keel too, I think, though I don’t doubt the suitability of the bilge keeler for the task in hand. Nice pocket cruiser, just like a big cruiser but smaller😄

ylop

Visit site
I am a beginner sailer with plenty of dingy experience in coastal waters. Am looking to get back into sailing in middle age,
Bear in mind that as we age we usually become less flexible, agile and adept at crawling into small cabins etc. things that at 25 would be part of the adventure at 45 are PITA, at 65 will make you want to sell it!
I like the look of the shrimper 19 for this - have sailed one once before and it seemed a seaworthy, friendly boat.
They are quite pretty and well thought of for their sea keeping (for the size) but as others have said not ideal for big trips.

One reason this boat appeals is because it feels like a big dinghy, and I think I’d feel more confident manoeuvring, generally being in control.
I’m not sure feeling like a big dinghy is a selling point for the task you have in mind - and I’ve cruised dinghies!

If your concern is for close quarters manoeuvrability in marinas etc - spending a day on own boat tuition or just practicing would likely get you the confidence in a bigger boat.

I can also see that leaving sight of the coast makes a small boat feel, well, small!
with the smallest boats the weather determines where/when you sail far more than bigger boats.

I can’t drive so actually trailerbility isn’t that important (tho might be nice to have if I can ever persuade someone to drive me somewhere interesting…)
Trailers come with maintenance hassle, the need to store them when the boat is afloat, stress for inexperienced drivers doing the towing (especially for reversing down slipways or into narrow driveways etc). There are advantages too - but if I couldn’t drive I’m not sure I’d have it as a consideration.

Reactions: srm

johnalison

Visit site
Sailing small boats is both easier and harder than larger ones. There is much less to maintain, loads are much lighter, and when in harbour you can just manhandle the boat around and not worry about technique. On the other hand, a larger boat is far less tiring on a longer passage and you have a much larger weather window, with F6-7 often being enjoyable when the top of 4 can be stressful to a 20-footer. As B27 says, you need to work out what kind of sailing you are going to do, how often, and where. Both can be enormously satisfying, but not all the time!

onesea

Visit site
Trident 24, yes they are old and affordable. Some good ones crop up with good engines at sensible prices.

Not good if you want tow - you say you don't,
Have character look to them,
Triple keel excellent for taking ground,
Good as day sailer,
Quite capable of cross channel legs,
4 berths on paper - with a little comfort,
No standing Headroom,

Trailers are blessing and curse, if you can tow it great. If not it's maintenance and worry.

My suggestion until you said you cannot tow was going to be buy your crabber. Then tow it to Holland, easier than trying to be cross the channel. Not worrying about weather for
Passages etc your ferry ticket is booked for your return.

Daydream believer

Visit site
That means covering the same bit of water, if you have to go back to where you started every time. You will soon get fed up with that & start missing weekends. Then the hassle of maintenance, antifoul painting etc will catch up with you & the whole sailing thing will fall apart. I advise a boat that will go places. Sail it every 3-4 weeks for long weekends etc & enjoy planning the next trip. Look forward to it & do something different each time so the maintenance thing is worthwhile. Then it becomes a great hobby. Not a noose round your neck.

B27

Visit site
That means covering the same bit of water, if you have to go back to where you started every time. You will soon get fed up with that & start missing weekends. Then the hassle of maintenance, antifoul painting etc will catch up with you & the whole sailing thing will fall apart. I advise a boat that will go places. Sail it every 3-4 weeks for long weekends etc & enjoy planning the next trip. Look forward to it & do something different each time so the maintenance thing is worthwhile. Then it becomes a great hobby. Not a noose round your neck.
That's perhaps your personal way of looking at it, but many people can based a small boat somewhere and have 10, 15, 20 destinations within a day's sail.
Solent is obviously the prime example, but others spring to mind.
Some of which may be pleasant enough to return to more than once a season.
Some people don't need to go anywhere at all, they enjoy going out for a sail around the bay, maybe catch a few mackerel, come home.
Or just sail a mile down the coat and anchor in the bay for lunch.
So where you might be based can have a strong influence on the value you get from a smaller boat.

srm

Visit site
@Daydream believer and @B27
There is no reason why you can not do both.
It helps if you can live close to where you keep the boat of course, but all of my boats have been used for afternoon or evening sails, overnights or weekends, and longer cruises that could extending into weeks or (once retired) months on board.

Tranona

Visit site
OP is on the East coast so plenty of opportunities for different types of sailing. He has already expressed a preference for creek crawling and the offshore bit was in order to do similar shallow water sailing in the Netherlands.

Daydream believer

Visit site
That's perhaps your personal way of looking at it, but many people can based a small boat somewhere and have 10, 15, 20 destinations within a day's sail.
Solent is obviously the prime example, but others spring to mind.
Some of which may be pleasant enough to return to more than once a season.
Some people don't need to go anywhere at all, they enjoy going out for a sail around the bay, maybe catch a few mackerel, come home.
Or just sail a mile down the coat and anchor in the bay for lunch.
So where you might be based can have a strong influence on the value you get from a smaller boat.
I take your point. We do have some that just go & sit on their boat. Perhaps drop a hook over the stern. I like to go to the marina & just sit & chat to my boat. We get on well together :p
But it is what I have learned from speaking to club members & how I have seen interest tail off from our mooring holders.
I must admit that I have not sailed the Solent so those, thus based, may find a greater variation available. Did the OP say that he intended to sail the Solent though?
:D

B27

Visit site
The Solent is just an area I happen to know.
Likewise I could have said Plymouth to Falmouth,
There are probably other places around the coast with quite a few places to go, I'd assume the OP has a map of his own area. Maybe even a pilot book or similar with details of local places to stop.