Shrimper 19 for channel crossing

Pontyfraq

Visit site
I am a beginner sailer with plenty of dingy experience in coastal waters. Am looking to get back into sailing in middle age, and have been out with friends and am planning my coastal skipper etc. I would like (eventually) to buy a boat to sail from east coast to the Netherlands, Friesian isles, single handed. I like the look of the shrimper 19 for this - have sailed one once before and it seemed a seaworthy, friendly boat. Also the retractable keel. I know they’re expensive but they also hold their value. But what about a channel crossing in one? Longer cruising? Mad? Fine? Fun? I know about the shrimper owners clubs dm their write ups, but who here’s done it and who would recommend it (or not)?

B27

Visit site
I'm sure it's entirely possible, but it might be easier in a slightly bigger boat.
I feel the wind is unreliable these days, so if possible I'd be considering a boat with an inboard diesel, which would mean you could get where you want to go in zero wind up to a bit more wind than you might choose in a 19ft boat.
OTOH, I have some friends who've cruised more distant places than I have, because they've trailered their 18ft boat to Greece and Scotland and Spain.

I'd suggest trying to scrounge a few rides in different boats before buying your own.
Also I feel that single handed is not the be all and end all. Another pair of hands, another pair of eyes can be a big help when you're learning from your mistakes.

Sea Change

Visit site
They seem quite expensive. For the same money you could get something bigger and more comfortable, although you'd probably be giving up the ability to tow it behind your car.

Tranona

Visit site
The big draw for Shrimpers is the many local fleets (such as we have in Poole) which organise racing and coastal cruising in company, as well of course individual sailing. National meetings as well because boats can be trailed easily for example to Scotland. If your aim really is to cross channel for cruising rather than one off to show it can be done then for similar money you can get a much more suitable boat which is eaqually at home single handed coastal cruising.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
A Shrimper is certainly capable of such sea crossings, a great little boat in many ways, but it is a very cramped boat for extended cruising. (I couldn't even sit upright in one a friend owned.)

Don't underestimate the value of storage space and lounging space, and being able to see out and for light to get in, especially when the weather is bad, which it sometimes (often?) will be. Imagine, for instance, you have arrived somewhere in the rain, tired, and your oilskins are sodden. Do you take them off in the cockpit in the rain getting your other clothes wet, or inside where it is sheltered but you can't stand up to take them off, so is a real struggle and makes everything around wet. Once you've got the oilskins off, where are you going to hang them to dry?

I agree with others above that there are more suitable (and cheaper) alternatives for the sort of sailing you describe.

William_H

Visit site
I imagine a shrimper will go any where but perhaps slowly. The real question is about your patience and willingness to endure a slow possibly uncomfortable crossing. OP needs to get experience with his own abilities and love of sailing.
We have a guy here who has sailed around the world 13 times including 3 times non stop. Now he is a special kind of person (nutter even) He obviously loves it and his own company. Doesn't mean any other sailor like me who likes to be home after a few hours is less of a person. I dreamed of sailing around the world and with experience ended up a river sailor.
Anyway as said a larger boat will be far more comfortable and faster for not much more money. If you really want to cross the channel.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
Thanks all - food for thought. I would be proposing getting the inboard shrimper model, which is by all accounts a good motorer. One reason this boat appeals is because it feels like a big dinghy, and I think I’d feel more confident manoeuvring, generally being in control. Though watching ‘Toby goes sailing’ I can also see that leaving sight of the coast makes a small boat feel, well, small! I like the retractable keel - my sailing would I imagine (apart from this crossing) be estuary/creek exploring, so the ability to bottom out would be welcome. But I’ll certainly look at other designs too - with these criteria in mind, do you have any other recommendations? I can’t drive so actually trailerbility isn’t that important (tho might be nice to have if I can ever persuade someone to drive me somewhere interesting…)

HughClayton

Visit site
If you are not prioritising the need to tow the boat and are serious about longer passages and the finances are possible then you might want to consider the Shrimper’s big brother …. the various Crabbers.

The Shrimper is a great boat and is perfect for inshore coastal sailing ….. places like the West Country creeks and estuaries, Poole and Chichester Harbours and the west coast of Scotland. The do sail like a dinghy and an inboard really helps but accommodation and shelter is limited. Longer passages are doable but do need the right weather and may not be comfortable.

The bigger Crabbers sail in a very similar manner but are much more seaworthy and are very capable coastal cruisers.

I’d definitely recommend sailing a Shrimper before you make any decisions; both on a sunny reach in 8 knots and beating into a chop in the rain in 16 knots!

Wishing you luck in your search for the right boat

Hugh

Pontyfraq

Visit site

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I know we all come with our own personal requirements of what a satisfying sail is.

After sailing Dinghies , I think you would find the Shrimper very slow . As mentioned you do not need to splash a lot of money yet. You could buy a more suitable boat for about £5k . I think it would be fair to say that the first boat we all get is merely a first step to fi d out what we really need in a yacht.

I'm sure you will have lots of fun whatever you get.

Wansworth

Visit site
A Shrimper is certainly capable of such sea crossings, a great little boat in many ways, but it is a very cramped boat for extended cruising. (I couldn't even sit upright in one a friend owned.)

Don't underestimate the value of storage space and lounging space, and being able to see out and for light to get in, especially when the weather is bad, which it sometimes (often?) will be. Imagine, for instance, you have arrived somewhere in the rain, tired, and your oilskins are sodden. Do you take them off in the cockpit in the rain getting your other clothes wet, or inside where it is sheltered but you can't stand up to take them off, so is a real struggle and makes everything around wet. Once you've got the oilskins off, where are you going to hang them to dry?

I agree with others above that there are more suitable (and cheaper) alternatives for the sort of sailing you describe.
Some kind of cockpit tent arrangement allowing standing headroom would be an asset.A small boat is easy to find somewhere to leave without vast expense and arriving at your destination you wil meet other like minded voyagers,spraydodger combinedto cockpit tent?

johnalison

Visit site
Broadly-speaking, a boat’s speed depends on its waterline length. At that size, you are going to be proceeding at around 4 knots most of the time, giving a passage time of around 24 hours for many of the crossings, unless you are going to work your way along the coast. In my Mystere we could sail well but motoring with the petrol engine was around 4 3/4 knots, and this seemed to take forever, taking 30+ hours to Ijmuiden on one occasion. We had four on board at the time, so it was tolerable, but tiring even so. If you can push your size up to 22-24’ it would be a lot easier.

Geoff A

Visit site
I once considered a shrimper, the down side for me was no self draining cockpit. I have been caught out twice in the past with waves swamping the cockpit. Best advice I can give is pay attention to weather forecasts before going offshore, that applies to any boat sail or power regardless of size

Daydream believer

Visit site
I know where there is a sadler 25.5 with working engine & sails. Needs a bit of fettling but the good thing is that it is on a road trailer so you could park it somewhere cheap- in the drive at home- & work on it. 6 weekends & you have a good boat that sails like a witch possibly for 5K all in.
Do not worry about shallow draft & bilge keels. The draft thing is a falicy unless you are on a drying mooring. But if you want to get somewhere then a fin keel will be far more use.
The suggestion of a centaur is a good one. You can go anywhere that you will want to & sail it SH in them
Forget the comment above about needing a crew. Sailing SH is fun & if you are a social animal you will meet people on your travels. You also get the choice to read a book or go for a walk or a beer. You do not get that with a crew constantly yapping in your ear.

Tranona

Visit site
I know where there is a sadler 25.5 with working engine & sails. Needs a bit of fettling but the good thing is that it is on a road trailer so you could park it somewhere cheap- in the drive at home- & work on it. 6 weekends & you have a good boat that sails like a witch possibly for 5K all in.
The OP says he does not drive.

scozzy

Visit site
A couple at our club have a lovely shrimper with internal engine .They added ballast as well(not sure how much) as we are exposed to swell and big winds on a too regular basis and it's sits in the water lovely in a blow and looks a picture under full sail.Having said that after more than a night in it I'd be looking for more room and comfort which my less pretty boat provides!

Daydream believer

Visit site
The OP says he does not drive.
I was not suggesting he tow it round the country.
Some people have friends,or family, who could tow a boat & park it up for him. The point is that it saves on marina, or storage fees big time --if one has a sympathetic parent etc. who will let him park it in the garden etc. for free. Then he can fettle it then move it to the mooring where he intends to keep it. Move it home end of season. Move it round the sailing club storage area in the winter. No problem chocking up etc.
The ability to move a yacht on dry land can really save on costs.

Tranona

Visit site
I was not suggesting he tow it round the country.
Some people have friends,or family, who could tow a boat & park it up for him. The point is that it saves on marina, or storage fees big time --if one has a sympathetic parent etc. who will let him park it in the garden etc. for free. Then he can fettle it then move it to the mooring where he intends to keep it. Move it home end of season. Move it round the sailing club storage area in the winter. No problem chocking up etc.
The ability to move a yacht on dry land can really save on costs.
Difficult to see how any of this relates to the OP's question which was whether a Shrimper was appropriate choice for single handed sailing and perhaps across the North Sea. Nothing about fettling a cheap old boat, or "saving" money on storage or launching. These are all a product of your imagination seemingly prompted by knowing of an old Sadler that needs work! Could not be further away from what the OP is looking for.