Boat for single-handed sailing?

[165264]

Visit site
Don't think time of year has much influence at this end of the market. There is a real shortage of boats less than 10 years old reflecting low sales of new boats in that period and leakage to the EU because of the low value of the £. So boats of this type sell very quickly and once you start looking you will find a limited choice. New boat prices have increased 25% in the last 2 years which has also helped sales of late model used boats.

Draft would not be a deal breaker. If there was no choice then you live with the limitations, which for most people does not present problems. For me it just adds some options with a little penalty in performance - but sharp performance is not one of my priorities!

Interesting figures: of course, I'm in the happy position of not having to get a boat at all. It's a nice idea- for me, but I've lived for 61.5 years having owned nothing more than a dinghy, so I can wait, and still charter I guess, and if I don't get one, well, I can live with disappointment.

[165264]

Visit site
Oh dear. You're gonna be one of those forumites that want to control the place. Good luck chap.

You may also notice there was some advice about reefing and whether or not to run lines to the cockpit, but I guess those didn't chime with the pre planned answers you were after.

You come on her, asking for advice, but then have a go at those that bother to spend a few minutes of their life giving you some advice.

Here's a hint chap - learn to be a bit grateful. You'll find it helps you get on in life.

Here's a hint for you, old thing,: clearly, with over 4000 posts, you like the sound of your own opinion. You may get on better in life if you learn to wind your neck in. If I ask about boats, and state my preference for a wheel over tiller, I expect an answer about boats, oddly enough. Of course, it may be that English is not your first language.

[165264]

Visit site
To be fair, he stated up front that he wanted a wheel and the boats he is looking at do not come with a tiller.

So why did several people suggest he needed a smaller boat and definitely a tiller which he could use in bum to steer?

Really not appropriate, nor good suggestions. People have smaller boats because either they prefer them or can only afford one. If they come with a tiller (as most do) that is what is preferred and you have to find ways of coping with it including using your bum while you rummage down to find the engine control (or use your foot)

On the other hand the OP has the funds to buy a boat with a wheel (and a binnacle mounted engine control) plus a reliable underdeck autopilot which operates with a press of a button. when you have that you realise how much better it is for single handing than a tiller in a small cockpit.

Thanks: I am delighted you can understand what I was asking about, but some others cannot.

[165264]

Visit site
Thanks: I am delighted you can understand what I was asking about, but some others cannot.

Actually, I could, in theory, buy new myself, but, just as with cars, why buy something that will depreciate, what? 30-50% in five years? It may not be the case with boats, but whereas forty years ago, it seemed that a car that was over ten years old was almost ready for the scrapheap, or had already gone there, ten years is nothing for a car nowadays. I know of a taxi driver in Hythe (Hants) who has a Skoda Octavia which has done over 300,00 miles! I hope that boat reliability might be as good? Though one hears that ten years is still par for rigging, but diesel engines should be good for thousands of hours, one hopes.

pvb

Visit site
I know of a taxi driver in Hythe (Hants) who has a Skoda Octavia which has done over 300,00 miles! I hope that boat reliability might be as good? Though one hears that ten years is still par for rigging, but diesel engines should be good for thousands of hours, one hopes.

Taxis aren't a good example, they typically run at operating temperature most of the time, whereas engine wear primarily occurs in cold start conditions. With decent maintenance, boat engines can last many thousands of hours, but the problem is that many of them are used infrequently and for short periods, leading to premature wear. As for rigging, the 10 year period has been accepted as a sort of rule for insurance purposes. The reality is that properly tensioned rigging will often last much longer; most owners daren't tension the rigging sufficiently.

Tranona

Visit site
Fairly certain I didn't suggest a smaller boat with a small cockpit, must re read what I wrote.....

Nope. Didn't.

How dare I give my opinion on what I think is suitable for single handed sailing .

I'll consider myself suitably chastised by the bolshy newbie and the forum dixon of dock green.

With respect, read your post#2 again. Your first and only real contribution told him he was wrong and needs a tiller and is better when the s**t hits the fan - plus you can steer with it between the legs.

How on earth is that relevant to the OPs question? Not only is it arguably incorrect (although it is a good way of dealing with the deficiencies of the tiller) but is of no help to the question.

I did not say you said specifically about smaller cockpit, but I referred to several replies suggesting different (usually smaller, tiller steered) boats than the OP is looking at.

No problem with you giving your opinion, but the question was not "what do people think is a suitable boat for singlehanding", but "I am looking at this sort of boat..." which is of course as he described it perfectly suitable and widely used for singlehanding. Just because you prefer or have only experience of a different kind of boat is irrelevant.

One thing that Dixon was pretty good at was understanding what people say or write and responding appropriately.

Tranona

Visit site
Actually, I could, in theory, buy new myself, but, just as with cars, why buy something that will depreciate, what? 30-50% in five years? It may not be the case with boats, but whereas forty years ago, it seemed that a car that was over ten years old was almost ready for the scrapheap, or had already gone there, ten years is nothing for a car nowadays. I know of a taxi driver in Hythe (Hants) who has a Skoda Octavia which has done over 300,00 miles! I hope that boat reliability might be as good? Though one hears that ten years is still par for rigging, but diesel engines should be good for thousands of hours, one hopes.

My reason for buying new was quite simple. I expect it to be the lowest cost way of having a boat over a period of around 10 years. It is the second new boat I have bought and the first, although for different reasons worked out well over 13 years. I do exactly the same with cars. Always bought new or demonstrator and ran for minimum of 8 years.

The argument is that depreciation is high in the early years (so don't sell then) but over 10 years is about 50% for production boats.

The big advantage you have is you can maintain the boat in tip top condition and should need no significant replacements over 10 years except perhaps sails. Plus you can invest in Coppercoat to further reduce long term costs. buying used almost always means dealing with other peoples' neglect even on a 5 year old boat. Many owners slow down their maintenance after 5-10 years, or the boat changes hands a couple of times and it is rare to find a used boat of this size that does not need £5-15k spent short term to bring it up to your required standard.

With a new boat you get maximum value out of the whole time you have it, not starting a fair way into its life. It only works though if you have a low opportunity cost for your capital and are prepared to commit for a long period with the same boat.

[165264]

Visit site
Taxis aren't a good example, they typically run at operating temperature most of the time, whereas engine wear primarily occurs in cold start conditions. With decent maintenance, boat engines can last many thousands of hours, but the problem is that many of them are used infrequently and for short periods, leading to premature wear. As for rigging, the 10 year period has been accepted as a sort of rule for insurance purposes. The reality is that properly tensioned rigging will often last much longer; most owners daren't tension the rigging sufficiently.

Good point re the engines of taxis- like jet airliners too. One sees plenty of 20 year plus boats advertised but I'd want a really forensic survey before going anywhere near something like that, though I guess, on the plus side, almost all the depreciation would have happened.

[165264]

Visit site
My reason for buying new was quite simple. I expect it to be the lowest cost way of having a boat over a period of around 10 years. It is the second new boat I have bought and the first, although for different reasons worked out well over 13 years. I do exactly the same with cars. Always bought new or demonstrator and ran for minimum of 8 years.

The argument is that depreciation is high in the early years (so don't sell then) but over 10 years is about 50% for production boats.

The big advantage you have is you can maintain the boat in tip top condition and should need no significant replacements over 10 years except perhaps sails. Plus you can invest in Coppercoat to further reduce long term costs. buying used almost always means dealing with other peoples' neglect even on a 5 year old boat. Many owners slow down their maintenance after 5-10 years, or the boat changes hands a couple of times and it is rare to find a used boat of this size that does not need £5-15k spent short term to bring it up to your required standard.

With a new boat you get maximum value out of the whole time you have it, not starting a fair way into its life. It only works though if you have a low opportunity cost for your capital and are prepared to commit for a long period with the same boat.

Fair points, indeed, and I have heard that said before re buying new, and it is the strategy we have adopted with our last two main cars. . Problem would be (1) Convincing Mrs Saliva of the outlay and (2) I might in all honesty do it for a few years, say 3-4, and then feel I had had enough, or succumb to my strong family history of OA hip and be out of action for months. Fortunately no sign of that yet, but I have tended, throughout life, to some extent, dipped into things, done them for a while, and then decided I had taken them as far as I wanted. Re Sailing, I feel I am still learning quite a lot, and I am the sort of person who enjoys learning new skills and challenges, so long as they are not hopeless. Thus, I have no desire now, at 61, to learn to fly light aircraft. I did once, but the thought of a compulsory annual medical seems a bridge too far. That is why the boatshare (Pure Latitude if anyone is interested) has been good. When I took out my sub to them I said that I could envisage one of three things happening:- 1. I'd do it for a year and then say I'd had enough. 2. I'd say that it was the perfect way for me to sail and continue. 3. I'd find it interesting and need the freedom of my own boat. Option 3 seems right at the moment, but I'd not want to commit to doing it for ten years, even assuming I stay well.

[165264]

Visit site
Oh dear. You're gonna be one of those forumites that want to control the place. Good luck chap.

You may also notice there was some advice about reefing and whether or not to run lines to the cockpit, but I guess those didn't chime with the pre planned answers you were after.

You come on her, asking for advice, but then have a go at those that bother to spend a few minutes of their life giving you some advice.

Here's a hint chap - learn to be a bit grateful. You'll find it helps you get on in life.

I KNOW about reefing and lines to a cockpit: that's why I didn't ask.

Tranona

Visit site

Who on earth would buy that for single hande coastal sailing when they have had experience of suitable modern boats and whose current interest is in a 34' Hanse?

John Rock would be aghast at your suggestion. He designed that boat for sailing round the world which he did successfully. Two best attributes are ability to sail unattended with a windvane for days on end and a cockpit that also served as a hot tub so he could soak in it while anchored in a Pacific atoll - with the right company of course.

alant

Visit site
Who on earth would buy that for single hande coastal sailing when they have had experience of suitable modern boats and whose current interest is in a 34' Hanse?

John Rock would be aghast at your suggestion. He designed that boat for sailing round the world which he did successfully. Two best attributes are ability to sail unattended with a windvane for days on end and a cockpit that also served as a hot tub so he could soak in it while anchored in a Pacific atoll - with the right company of course.

Its got a wheel, which is high on his wish list & will look after him in most weather conditions.
With a fortnight to spare, he could also add to his wish list & get over to France.

Looks good as well.

lpdsn

Visit site
Its got a wheel, which is high on his wish list & will look after him in most weather conditions.
With a fortnight to spare, he could also add to his wish list & get over to France.

Looks good as well.

I know she may not be the best boat to windward but surely he could get over to France in her in less than a fortnight.