The Tectona

Tectona

Visit site
I know she's been discussed on these forums before, but just thought I'd let those with an interest know that she is live-and-kicking, and about to be a sail trainer once more:

Take a look at http://www.Tectona.org.uk

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jh001ace

Visit site
Tectona was a sail training vessel I sailed on whilst studying for my 2nd Mate ticket at 'The School of Maritime Studies' in Plymouth in the late 70's. I guess this is the same one, she was a proper old timer boat which was a great experience and certainly taught me a lot of valuable seamanship skills.

I remember the Bosun would not let anyone ashore one night at King Harry on the Fal until you boxed the compass in half points. Still remember it to this day but its a utterly useless skill.

Cornishman

Visit site
Was I that bucko Bosun who put you through that awful task?

It wasn't quite a useless task because ships' lifeboat compasses are graduated in half points, with no degrees because the compass card is too small. You were examined in it when you took your EDH exam.

One time Tectona Bosun and later Mate

Tectona

Visit site
jh001ace wrote:

"Tectona was a sail training vessel I sailed on whilst studying for my 2nd Mate ticket at 'The School of Maritime Studies' in Plymouth in the late 70's "

That's her, and she's coming back to Plymouth soon! - you can sign up for updates on their website.

jh001ace

Visit site
Cornishman, it must have been you, did my EDH on it too, I was at the SMS from 77 to 81, particularly remember the mad comms lecturer, 'Cheify Tozer' I think he called himself and met was taught by the bloke on telly Craig Rich? or is that someone else, anyway good days /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Passed my boxing the compass test, went to the pub and got pissed /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif then had a rough sail back to Plymouth the next day /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you can steer a lifeboat to half points, you surely were and probably still are a far better sailor than me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif