Scottish East Coast marinas

cherod

Visit site
Eyemouth has enough depth, and offers pontoon berths, but has very limited capacity - it's a harbour, not a marina. Peterhead marina is a LONG walk from the town; there is a supermarket closer than the town centre, but still a fair way off.
Aldi is only 10 minutes walk , PD town centre only another 5 ;) .

dunedin

Visit site
Brief visit, a couple of nights

Add to the above Port Edgar for spectacular bridges and visiting Edinburgh - albeit a long bus or taxi ride.

A lot of East Coast marinas are a bit depth challenged, and the official depths are sometimes rather optimistic. Ca Canny entering at low water (and probably avoid entering at Low Water Springs) in many such as Port Edgar, Peterhead, Wick, Lossiemouth etc, though generally fine once in.

Baddox

Visit site
Berwick reportedly now has pontoons if not a marina. Last time we were in Eyemouth we left before the spring tides reduced the depth too much. The other alternative was to join the trawlers in the basin where the depth was better but the constant traffic and rough quay walls were less attractive.
Arbroath harbour has gates to maintain a minimum depth.

cherod

Visit site
Concerning Peterhead, the length of the walk isn't the greatest challenge that one might face in the 'Blue Toon'.....:cautious:
PD is a fishing / industrial town and as such if one is not interested in a fine collection of modern trawlers or modern off shore service vessels then there may be little of interest within a short walking distance of the fine marina .

dgadee

Visit site
I spent a few days in Aberdeen. Interesting waiting to be allowed in and out. Boat was filthy after it, but glad I called them up and asked. £25 for 1 to 5 nights. Bargain.

jamie N

Visit site
PD is a fishing / industrial town and as such if one is not interested in a fine collection of modern trawlers or modern off shore service vessels then there may be little of interest within a short walking distance of the fine marina .
Yup, after 40+ years of admiring Peterhead, and mobbing/demobbing on & off of ROVSV & DSV's there, I've found little to grab my attention, since the prison closed anyway!

Went to a funeral there last year though.

jamie N

Visit site
I spent a few days in Aberdeen. Interesting waiting to be allowed in and out. Boat was filthy after it, but glad I called them up and asked. £25 for 1 to 5 nights. Bargain.
That's interesting, I'd always been under the impression that Aberdeen Harbour discouraged any non-commercial activity.
Which quay were you on? It's a harbour I know very well, and is blessed with some very fine pubs & restaurants, as well as quite a few that aren't!