UK cruising/circumnavigation planning - big questions so far

srm

Visit site
I actually reckon that hte circumnavigation of the North, the Caley and all places North would make a very good season of cruising for anyone. I was through the Caley last week and was astounded by the beauty of Loch Oich in particular; and I've seen it quite a few times before.
Yes, it does make a nice cruise. Have done that a few times, from both Shetland and Orkney. Can I claim to have "circumnavigated Britain via the Caledonian Canal"? After all its much more interesting than the coast of England.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Nah, it's not a circumnavigation if you don't go to Bristol!

😀
You do not have to go there. In fact you may be better off not bothering. The idea is to give it a miss & circumvent as much of Wales as possibile.
By the way. Does not round Jersey & Guernsey make up for a bit of Scotland? Both great places to go on the trip .No rocky crags & deer, but a couple of castles for those so inclined.

srm

Visit site
Nah, it's not a circumnavigation if you don't go to Bristol!

😀
Of course I couldn't go there, I was almost traumatised during my formative years while working with a team of scientists studying "fluid mud"and its movement for the Port of Bristol. It gave me a healthy taste for waters clear enough to see the bottom when looking for a patch of sand to place the anchor in.

My last boat was "Escapade of Bristol" when I bought her - changed it to "Escapade of Kirkwall" to acknowledge that she would be sailing in clearer waters.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You do not have to go there. In fact you may be better off not bothering. The idea is to give it a miss & circumvent as much of Wales as possibile.
By the way. Does not round Jersey & Guernsey make up for a bit of Scotland? Both great places to go on the trip .No rocky crags & deer, but a couple of castles for those so inclined.
Well I can agree with you about avoiding as much of Wales as is possible and it’s possible to avoid it entirely.

dunedin

Visit site
As a result of representations by RYA Scotland, the Cruising Association, British Marine Scotland and others the draft legislation for a Scottish Visitor Levy has been amended not to try to cover small boat moorings. It was explained that it was a bit impractical for many visitor moorings run by community volunteers and payment by honesty boxes etc. A good result for boaters (and another disproof of the “what did the Romans ever do for us” types.)
But a levy on cruise ship landings seems a good idea - there were FIVE in Orkney on one day last week, and at least 2 most days. Huge impact on small islands. But they don’t stay overnight and all meals etc on board so currently little benefit to most local communities.

srm

Visit site
But a levy on cruise ship landings seems a good idea - there were FIVE in Orkney on one day last week, and at least 2 most days. Huge impact on small islands. But they don’t stay overnight and all meals etc on board so currently little benefit to most local communities.
Its eight years since I left Orkney. While I was there Orkney Harbours, a department of the Islands' Council was spending a lot of time and money promoting the islands to the industry as a cruise ship destination. Apparently ships plan their itinerary around five years in advance. If the islands are suffering then part of the responsibility lies with the local authority for accepting so many ships. One or even two smaller ships were manageable but five on the same day looks downright stupid and is under the harbour authority's control.

Last edited: