UK cruising/circumnavigation planning - big questions so far

dunedin

Visit site
…..
When I challenged Dunedin as to why he thought Scotland was so good his reply in#132 was not exactly enlightening.
He said that it was peace & quiet. Well, how does that work if you have kids?
Perhaps we should ask those that did it Why? Was it really for peace & quiet? Or bucket list--which really has little to do with rocky crags does it?
Sorry, not been able to answer your or Captn Grumpy’s replies….. been too busy sailing in sunshine in Northern waters. Oh and anchored twice and launched dinghy twice to visit new and interesting islands.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I suspect it might be a case of the very old Guinness advert:

"I don't like Guinness"
"I have never tried it"
I told you earlier. I was being dragged up rocky crags by my grandparents when I lived with them. There is nothing like standing in the hills waiting for the rain then watching the small rivilets of water running down the hillside gradually turning into a torrent as the rain comes down in stair rods.
My grandfather took me into the hills when he knew rain was coming to watch it happen & it is a sight that I never forget, standing with him by the hills near his birth place, Yetholm. . He wanted to be buried in the graveyard there with my grandmother so they could watch it as the rain comes down.
But you do not have to sail right round the north of the country to see it

As for guiness
Guiness, as good as it is, gives me migraines. Plus, you need to drink it in Ireland. Not Scotland to taste proper Guiness.

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Yup Midges lack of readily available amenities, spa shops flogging stale food

, and a lot of the rocky crags are pretty good too! Yes but all the same & if you have seen as many as I have they get a bit- shall we say- samey

No need to go further north than the cally canal. You get the experience & less hassle.
Interestingly, we had no midge problems - and had no problems eating extremely well - although, to get the full experience, you'll need to wean yourself off only patronising Spa shops and look out for small businesses, wayside vending and suchlike.

The restaurant & tiny bakery on Scalpay were to die for (best sausage rolls on the planet), the aforementioned Black pudding & Scallop pizza, a fantastic range at Ardfern, brilliant choice on Bute and so on.

I'm not sure what these "amenities" are? - we didn't miss any I'm sure.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I told you earlier. I was being dragged up rocky crags by my grandparents when I lived with them. There is nothing like standing in the hills waiting for the rain then watching the small rivilets of water running down the hillside gradually turning into a torrent as the rain comes down in stair rods.
My grandfather took me into the hills when he knew rain was coming to watch it happen & it is a sight that I never forget, standing with him by the hills near his birth place, Yetholm. . He wanted to be buried in the graveyard there with my grandmother so they could watch it as the rain comes down.

As for guiness
Guiness, as good as it is, gives me migraines. Plus, you need to drink it in Ireland. Not Scotland to taste proper Guiness.
There are also now many excellent beers in Scotland.

SaltIre

Visit site

As for guiness

Are any of your opinions about sailing in Scotland based on recent visits?
50+ years ago?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

As for guiness
So you've never sailed in Scotland.

SaltIre

Visit site
Interestingly, we had no midge problems - and had no problems eating extremely well - although, to get the full experience, you'll need to wean yourself off only patronising Spa shops and look out for small businesses, wayside vending and suchlike.

The restaurant & tiny bakery on Scalpay were to die for (best sausage rolls on the planet), the aforementioned Black pudding & Scallop pizza, a fantastic range at Ardfern, brilliant choice on Bute and so on.

I'm not sure what these "amenities" are? - we didn't miss any I'm sure.
Do any of these have a marina at which infirm single handed sailors can berth?

dunedin

Visit site
…..
Were any of these hills in the islands of the Hebrides, Orkney or Shetland?
Otherwise it is akin to somebody not liking London because they had a bad experience as a child on a holiday in Norfolk.

steveeasy

Visit site
Oh I hate sheep. When I see one I have to run or I turn in to a crazed monster. They tortured me many many years ago. I had 500 nut crunching bleeting things and id wake up hearing the dam things. When I lived in Scotland we would go over to Ireland a fair bit. Always thought Scotland looked dead when we came back on the Ferry. Pretty much everywhere you go, the people are so nice. I like sailing in amongst lots of boats and like marinas. I like all different environments.
DD experiences sound very troubling. Not everyone likes solitude, I hate listening to aircraft in the sky.does bad things to my head.

Steveeasy

NormanS

Visit site
Were any of these hills in the islands of the Hebrides, Orkney or Shetland?
Otherwise it is akin to somebody not liking London because they had a bad experience as a child on a holiday in Norfolk.
Yetholm apparently. And yet there's definitely no marina there. (For fairly obvious reasons).

jamie N

Visit site
Oh I hate sheep. When I see one I have to run or I turn in to a crazed monster. They tortured me many many years ago.
Oh, you've never found a pretty one, that's all. If one's patient, they can have there own allure......... ;) 🥃

The Scalpay restaurant served me the finest food that I've ever eaten anywhere in the World. I've never had a better dining experience, having had in the region of 24,000 'meals out', in dozen's of countries, during my career.😲

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
I read Ddb making some lighthearted comments about Scotland that ruffled some Tartanista feathers.
Not at all ruffled but if he can make light hearted comments presumably others can in return?

I seem to recall that general advice among yachting circles back in 2012 was to stay clear of Port Edgar. Was that the case? Perhaps they have undertaken some reconstruction of the place since.

There’s been some “upgrades” to shore facilities since 2012 (which means the chandlery is more expensive, less well stocked with useful stuff but has more designer gear, and the restaurants have upped their game considerably - and their prices too!). Not sure there’s much change to the marina itself in that time frame but the new bridge is long since complete and the works/traffic for that may have been off putting for the uninitiated. Its not obvious why people would specifically avoid PE - but if you are navigating round Britain it is a long way “in land” so probably adds a day to your plans compare to heading straight if you can.

If the choice is Methill or Port Edgar you go Port Edgar every time! Those same customers the Capt met (or their children) are likely still sitting in the same seats eyeing anyone unknown with suspicion.

The forth is fun for a few weekends but you really want a small boat to explore the islands and harbours otherwise you are just dodging tankers and container ships.

, and a lot of the rocky crags are pretty good too! Yes but all the same & if you have seen as many as I have they get a bit- shall we say- samey
you need to find a geologist to sail with! One of my occasional crew is a geologist and can educate anyone on the difference between all these lumps, how some of them actually helped age the earth, how they were formed, how they impact the modern land use etc.
No need to go further north than the cally canal. You get the experience & less hassle.
many people in a rush, leave the canal head down loch Linnhe and keep heading south. Whilst they have sailed IN Scotland they haven’t sailed Scotland - they’ve missed rather a lot by not heading up the Sound of Mull. Go the right way and there’s deserted white sand rather than crags; ancient woodland rather than heather!

SaltIre

Visit site
many people in a rush, leave the canal head down loch Linnhe and keep heading south. Whilst they have sailed IN Scotland they haven’t sailed Scotland - they’ve missed rather a lot by not heading up the Sound of Mull. Go the right way and there’s deserted white sand rather than crags; ancient woodland rather than heather!

jamie N

Visit site
I actually reckon that hte circumnavigation of the North, the Caley and all places North would make a very good season of cruising for anyone. I was through the Caley last week and was astounded by the beauty of Loch Oich in particular; and I've seen it quite a few times before.

Reactions: srm