Request to Forum Admin to remove marklow video thread

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I think that the problem is basically that Explorer yachts do not understand the difference between myself posting a video of a persons boat that happens to be a Marlow and their own restrictions on posting media that may have to be cleared by Marlow HQ.

I have already posted stills of Marlow boats on this forum before - these were taken in Marlow's USA HQ. I could have equally posted a video. All without a problem.

With the owner's consent, I could video any Marlow and post it on here and nobody could possibly object.

There is a huge difference between controlling the output of the selling organisation and that of an individual.

When I eventually get my Marlow will I not be able to video inside and post as much of it as I want? Of course I will - so just why Explorer yachts should think that they can control this baffles me.

In viewing a video - you the boating public distinguish between a video on say the Explorer web site and then rough video I posted. You know my video was just a number of clips strung together to show you the boat from my point of view. You allow for the fact that time was not taken to produce a polished version nor would it be natural to see a polished version - that would almost lose its authenticity.

before the video was stopped nearly 600 people watched it and it was doing Explorer yachts a big favour.

The policy from Marlow HQ is clearly to show the boat, in depth, to the public a process that takes an hour or so. I agree with that policy but with that policy comes another one - that is that anyone can make an appointment without any sort of questioning to determine how serious they are - if you want to see a Marlow you can and would be welcome – just make an appointment. This means spending an hour with customers who cannot possibly afford the boat but wish to see it. That is Marlow policy and I agree with it. I do not think that part of the policy was properly applied at SIBS.

As regards a video – I am now going to prove a point.
I am willing to make, free of charge, a professional DVD of any make of new motor boat on the market today and give the DVD rights over to the supplier free of charge. I want to do this to show how I think a boat should be shown to the boating public. It’s a demo of a point.
Shooting would take 2 days..
It would need someone from the supplier to appear on the video to show the boat features and be interviewed by SWMBO etc – the shooting needs to take place soon – before Xmas. I will not charge a penny.
The video would also be produced to Discovery Channel HD Image Standards and in HD for the future.
The first bona fide boat supplier to contact me can have this free video. I will also publish it on the web.

I simply cannot understand why more boats are not advertised in this manner. It baffles me.
I am not in the business of making promotional videos - so I am not after any commercial gain. I would enjoy doing it and I beleive it could set an examople on how a boat can be sold - imagine putting 50,000 in depth DVD's of your boat on the front of a magazine. No the standard showy type clips but a video that really showed the features of a boat.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Paul you just have to accept the fact that these people are idiots of the first order. I'd suggest that you email them the link to this thread although they probably won't read it.

Just hope they realise the damage done.

As for you, you need to move on. Spending what you are on a boat should be an experience of a lifetime. Make it so. Leave what's happened behind and move on. I look forward to seeing the new boat where ever it's based.

capnjack

Visit site
Re: Yeah right! And what if....

For the record Gludy, I completely agree with you. I would be just as offended and consider their action very rude indeed. If they disliked you taking the video, they should have dealt with it by taking it on the chin, this would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. Being scared of an amateur video is weak and worrying sending a signal that they don't know how to cope with it.

I would have been just as deflated as you by this incident.

Fire99

Visit site
I've just trawled through the entire thread to make sure i'm not firing off from the wrong gun but i find this whole situation astonishing...
I understand that times change but the old phrase 'The customer is always right' still holds some weight. The fact that this is potential very substantial order and the 'agent' here in the UK are willing to act this way is naive at best on their part... We already have one major 'agent' gone to the wall so i think this positively snobbish attitude is extremely foolhardy. Are their order books really that full to afford this attitude?

Regardig SIBS, I do understand to a degree these premium brands being a little organised with people viewing the boats but from my perspective only to the extent that potential customers get to fully view the vessel so perhaps get a degree of priority and the boats dont get damaged.

However i read an interview with the founder of Sunseeker where he was stating that he encouraged people who maybe couldnt affort to buy one of his boats at that time to still view the boats as todays casual observer may be tomorrows buyer if their financial situation changes. (im not saying that Sunseeker are fautless on access to boats at shows..)
And lets face it word of mouth counts.
If my financial situation improves and i have the sort of budget to afford a Marlow or dare i mention the T word, there are two dealers i already would strike off the list purely from my experience here on the forums..

I do wish you luck Paul in getting a Marlow on better terms. If i were the US manufacturer, considering the money you are spending, i'm sure i would ensure some sort of 'care package' was organised here in the UK to cover any potential aftersales issues.

regards,

'A somewhat astonished' Nick

kcrane

Visit site
Having been one of those with a genuine interest in the Marlow and an ability to buy if I chose to do so I made the effort to phone Explorer before SIBS, explain our position and ask for an appontment.

Funny how SWMBO's have such influence, 'cos when we were turned away on the day, cluching our invitation card, she said "Sod them, we don't need that attitude, we should enjoy the entire experience if we spend that amount of money". She meant it, so the UK dealer was already off our list.

Isn't there a German word for feeling a bit of pleasure that things have bitten someone in the bum, when really you know you should feel sorry for them?

RogerRat

Visit site
Re: Yeah right! And what if....

[ QUOTE ]

I am not the only one offended, many serious punters were also offended and some have already vowed not to go back.

My helpful email to try and help sort out the issue was never even answered. . I have not even had a response to my cancellation and that is not negotiable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've sussed it! The reason no one of can believe this is because they're not trying to sell Marlow at all. They are still cahoots with TC and Trader and they are successfully sabotaging the Marlow launch in the UK.

What better way to kill off a potential brand than to simply carry out the following:

1. Go to the bigest UK show and not let people see the boat.

2. Make it difficult by making appointments mandatory.

3. Employ inexperienced staff with no training and bad manners.

4. Berth the boat 2 slots away from a major competitor.

5. Upset your biggest fan, indeed insult his intelligence.

6. If all else fails, disrespect him to make him cancel an order.

7. Block the best bit of free publicity that most manufactures would die for.

8. Then make out like you don't care and ignore emails!

Absolutely crazy! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why not offer your free DVD facility to a new dealer that would dearly love your help, as in small but cute 'Westline' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AJW

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a German word for feeling a bit of pleasure that things have bitten someone in the bum, when really you know you should feel sorry for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Schadenfreude?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Just to tell everyone, I have spoken to the top in Marlow today and there is no doubt whatsoever that Marlow do care about their customers. I am

They do insist that those coming on their boats are given the same treatment of the full tour and that there is no sort of testing to see if they can afford one or not. So I think in this case Explorer yachts have maybe tried too hard to comply to the wishes of Marlow HQ and in so doing somehow missed the boat as it where. They should have for a start had a proper appointment system that could be booked prior to arrival – they simply sent out an invite card leaving the customer to wander up and be told they cannot get on board then. They really have to change this system so that appointment times are agreed with the customer in advance.

Customers should not be kept waiting on the pontoon but taken on board with an assistant pointing out that the person showing them around will be with them shortly.

To have customers arrive with cards being turned away is just absurd and I am sure as Explorer yachts reads this themselves they will be horrified as to how this has turned out as I am sure this disastrous launch and there is no other word for it, was not the intention.

I did try to help them to see what was going on behind the scenes and I did tell them that good customers were upset – I knew of customers wanting to buy who even when they made it on board came away unhappy with the attitude and not wanting to buy from Explorer Yachts. That help was not even acknowledged. Maybe it was hard to accept me pointing out the problems at the same time as I was publicly defending them. It was another opportunity missed.

I was suffering from a delivery date having been put back from September 2008 or maybe before to Spring 2009 maybe April 2009. I was waiting for a call back on this that never came.

I was fed up with having in effect sold a Marlow for them to send people along who left feeling insulted and swearing to either buy another boat or a Marlow abroad. To make matters worse this was happening with a few of the people I helped direct to them.

I did the video to take attention away from that thread and over to talking about the boat and that worked – folks could maybe see a bit of what I see in the Marlow. The other thread started to die and attention was drawn to the boat.

When I returned home to find SWMBO upset about the immediate demands to take the video down. She told me that they way she was being told made her sick because she knew from that moment we could no longer carry on enjoying the buying process with this dealer. It was like there would now be a cloud over us each time we had a future spec meeting. That was the last straw for me. The very thing that had people talking about the boat and how great it was, had now to be axed by a very firm demand. This was as if I was an employee, not an independent customer. It was from a company that today would still be suffering from its Trader problems had I not seen the opportunity. I blew, itt was a simple as that.

I t was after hours so I started this thread so someone in admin would see it and remove the offending thread, which they did.

I then got the thank you email from Explorer yachts which frankly made the matter worse for me – they had again totally missed the boat and lived in a world where they could control all images etc ever published of the boat that they had borrowed for the show. No thank you for the effort but rather a thank you for complying and look how good we are going to do it with our new 360 degree panorama stuff. No mention of the return call about the delivery of my pleading to get it right at the show.

I knew I could no longer enjoy the process of buying the boat through this dealer – the joy had gone and for that reason I cancelled.

Its all very sad because I do feel they tried very had to make it a success but to be successful you maybe have to be more open and know who your friends are.

I did not ask or get a penny discount for my troubles nor did I want one – all I asked for from the outset was to be treated like a normal customer and dealt with in a respectful manner. I wanted it to be very different from my last boat purchase and we needed to enjoy the whole process, part of which was sharing my passion about the boat on the forum.

I am moving on now and will try and put it behind me as I plan what I will do next. Maybe I short start a new TV soap call. ‘The Pontoon’ = revolving around the lifes and times of myself and other characters on the forum?

Whitelighter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first bona fide boat supplier to contact me can have this free video.

[/ QUOTE ] I sincerely hope it is jez who responds first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is great, but I can't see the video for the 24 lasting very long /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Somehow I don't think it is quite on the scale Paul was planning - can you imagine me, Mrs Gludy and a camera squeezed into the cuddy? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mind you, the 34 will arrive for the EC show, but that is really close to xmas. If paul fancies a bit of filmong at the show i am up for it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RogerRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Schadenfreude?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomorrows headline:

"Newfey gets last word in Boat Launch Disaster." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:
The first bona fide boat supplier to contact me can have this free video.

I sincerely hope it is jez who responds first.

I think it is great, but I can't see the video for the 24 lasting very long

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I thought of that after I posted. I think a video of you, Mr and Mrs Gludy huddled to together in the cuddy while you show off the features would be very entertaining though.

Nautorius

Visit site
Paul,

Superb well balanced post as usual. You are handling this better than the Trader debacle. Fingers crossed the USA can sort you out.

I also hope Explorer yachts sort out this mess, as they have a good product and the mpore that are sold the more chances that there will be a S/H one for sale in 10 years time!

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Ok.
Jez. You got a video.
I was hoping it would be you.
It takes about one hour to edit one minute of video.
probably needs one minute of video per foot of boat! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So a short 20 odd minute video suits me!

PM me so we can do a storyboard.

You will end up with a master DVD that you can copy as you wish and I will place it on the web in two or three parts.

Its a sort of live experiment to demonstrate how I think boats should be sold.

Should be interesting.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
[ QUOTE ]
What if Trader contact you first!

[/ QUOTE ]
I already have the video - i even arranged a free TV slot for them so they have had their turn! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif