Newbie Seeking Advice

BruceK

Visit site
Seeing as you are Conwy based you should cross the river to Deganwy and you will find my boat easily enough being the very first boat to port as you cross the gate. Bring a funbox with beer and berth up temporarily and we can sit in the sun, take in the views, discuss engines and the wonders of the Welsh Med. Or join us for drinks on anchor somewhere. You are bound to run in to us somewhere, I am easy to spot. Not too many Formula boats in these waters

537znls.jpg

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
1995 Volvo Penta KAD 42s

Thanks for the upload tip.
This is the video of the twin Penta KAD42s in the Fairline Targa 38 that I am going to view next week. Stated to have only 500 hours on them. Boat very lightly used and has been stored (winterised for a while by previous owners).
Welcome any observations or things to take a close look at.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Seeing as you are Conwy based you should cross the river to Deganwy and you will find my boat easily enough being the very first boat to port as you cross the gate. Bring a funbox with beer and berth up temporarily and we can sit in the sun, take in the views, discuss engines and the wonders of the Welsh Med. Or join us for drinks on anchor somewhere. You are bound to run in to us somewhere, I am easy to spot. Not too many Formula boats in these waters

537znls.jpg
Bruce - that is so nice of you - thank you for the offer.
My RIB is moored at Conwy but know Deganwy well. Would gratefully join you for a trip and bring beers (but you need to specify which are your preference).
let's exchange contact details and arrange two meet up some time.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Bruce - that is so nice of you - thank you for the offer.
My RIB is moored at Conwy but know Deganwy well. Would gratefully join you for a trip and bring beers (but you need to specify which are your preference).
let's exchange contact details and arrange two meet up some time.
What is she named?

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Added another video of the KAD42s - scan over them not running.

As before welcome any observations or things to probe when I view the Targa next week.

Seastoke

Visit site
Be aware you are dealing with a pirate in Bruce K , he will take your beer , eat your wench,and sell your rubber to the Grimegants.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
They sound sweet enough but the brown discoloration of the header tank is indicative of the coolant not being changed as per the recommended schedules. So I suspect they're not engines that have lovingly maintained.

Still, if they make full RPM, don't over heat, don't leak and don't smoke then they can't be all bad.

BruceK

Visit site
Listening to the engines on youtube is a poor diagnostic. When you are there start each engine seperately and listen for that ting I am hearing on the video. It may be an indication of a coolant pump imminent failure or a belt pulley bearing going. I dont like the loom coupling on the starboard engine but like the fact that it looks like a new compressor clutch has been installed. I dont like the paint job and would now look for rust areas in hard to spray places such as turbo oil feed pipe etc. I would check for leaks on the roots compressor outlet manifold and I would definitely check for oil capacity and colour in the compressors. It should be very thin and clear. I would ask to uncouple the silicon manifold from the roots compressor to airbox and feel for thick oil residue. If any the compressor is toast. No repair the main bearing is gone and needs replacement. I would check the cac charge air coolers (aftercooler) sump plug for corrosion and any oil residue indicating turbo bearing failure the oil sumps for corrosion on the mated interface. Oil leaks a give away. The hoses could do with replacement and ask when last the turbo's and exhaust elbows were replaced. Check for corrosion on the magnesium alloy face plates behind the belts and below the water filter that would indicate raw water pump issues and leakage. The alternator sits below them. Any abnormal rust on them is another giveaway.
Otherwise they are in a condition that I would expect to see a 20 year old plus motor in that has been used. They never look pretty after 20 plus years exposed to sea air. I would if you purchase it slap some KAD44 /300 silencers on the compressor to hide the horrible squeal they make unless you like that sort of thing. I have and it makes a huge difference. If these checks pass plus other obvious checks and you go to seatrial make sure you have a engineer onboard to check the engines under load. The 38 is a big lump and these engines should make an easy 23-25 knts, and not overheat at circa 3200rpm and hold 27 knts at 3900 rpm for 15 minutes without a temp rise of significance but I will bow to the engineer. (boat reasonably loaded)

BruceK

Visit site
What is she named?

Amanzi on Ch77 and I am a liveaboard so am always on the boat. If I am not on the Deganwy Marina seawall right by the gate (you can see me from Conwy marina) I am out to sea. If I am in I am available, I no longer work as I am in early retirement. Ping me a pm for mob number

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Those turbos look quite old so you might want to budget for replacements.
Pete,
Sea trial by mechanic has already recommended replacement of both turbos. Broker has been quoted 2500 euros to replace/fit both.
When turbos are replaced are there any other components that should also be replaced at the same time - or are they standalone replacements?

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Listening to the engines on youtube is a poor diagnostic. When you are there start each engine seperately and listen for that ting I am hearing on the video. It may be an indication of a coolant pump imminent failure or a belt pulley bearing going. I dont like the loom coupling on the starboard engine but like the fact that it looks like a new compressor clutch has been installed. I dont like the paint job and would now look for rust areas in hard to spray places such as turbo oil feed pipe etc. I would check for leaks on the roots compressor outlet manifold and I would definitely check for oil capacity and colour in the compressors. It should be very thin and clear. I would ask to uncouple the silicon manifold from the roots compressor to airbox and feel for thick oil residue. If any the compressor is toast. No repair the main bearing is gone and needs replacement. I would check the cac charge air coolers (aftercooler) sump plug for corrosion and any oil residue indicating turbo bearing failure the oil sumps for corrosion on the mated interface. Oil leaks a give away. The hoses could do with replacement and ask when last the turbo's and exhaust elbows were replaced. Check for corrosion on the magnesium alloy face plates behind the belts and below the water filter that would indicate raw water pump issues and leakage. The alternator sits below them. Any abnormal rust on them is another giveaway.
Otherwise they are in a condition that I would expect to see a 20 year old plus motor in that has been used. They never look pretty after 20 plus years exposed to sea air. I would if you purchase it slap some KAD44 /300 silencers on the compressor to hide the horrible squeal they make unless you like that sort of thing. I have and it makes a huge difference. If these checks pass plus other obvious checks and you go to seatrial make sure you have a engineer onboard to check the engines under load. The 38 is a big lump and these engines should make an easy 23-25 knts, and not overheat at circa 3200rpm and hold 27 knts at 3900 rpm for 15 minutes without a temp rise of significance but I will bow to the engineer. (boat reasonably loaded)
Bruce - I think I understood about 6% of the things you mention. Broker confirmed today that both turbos underperform and need to be changed.
Sea trial by me local mechanic noted increased temperature on the starboard engine, low exhaust flow, both turbos were grabbed, gas leakage and flange break between exhaust elbow and starboard turbo. Recommended change impeller, fix or replace turbos, change exhaust elbow and change starboard rod to see if this fixes the heating issue.
I opened the coolant top and it looks like clear water (no green anti-freeze) so I suspect some self-maintenance at play here. Oil levels OK on dipstick (phew) but couldn’t unscrew sea water filters to check they were clean. Have been advised that annual servicing done by local mechanic but have asked to see evidence of what has ( and hasn’t been done). The Targa presents reasonably well for a 1995 boat even if a little dated by today’s plush standards. Re-carpeting and re-upholstery would transform I’m sure - just hoping the servicing and maintenance records/ paperwork can be produced. I need a good /independent mechanic who knows these engines to give them a good look at and sea trial. Know anyone who would be up for the job - or should I trust/commission local Volvo Penta guys.

kawasake

Visit site
Clayton is the Targa your going to look at have stern drives?
Oh by the way
I can see Bruce from our boat in Deganwy!
So any beer swilling or misbehaviour 😂😂
See we are very quiet and well behaved on legA🤫

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Beer? Now if you had said that from the start Id have sold you brand new turbos cheap and fitted them myself. .... dont ask... I buy loads of stuff I dont need. Every winter I punish the plastic to get in touch with my feminine side. Only thing the 90's taught me really.

kawasake

Visit site
Clayton is the Targa your going to look at have stern drives?
Oh by the way
I can see Bruce from our boat in Deganwy!
So any beer swilling or misbehaviour 😂😂
See we are very quiet and well behaved on leg B🤫
Beer? Now if you had said that from the start Id have sold you brand new turbos cheap and fitted them myself. .... dont ask.... Every winter I punish the plastic to get in touch with my feminine side. Only thing the 90's taught me really.
😂😂