Newbie Seeking Advice

stelican

Visit site
Seen a 1995 Fairline Targa 38 for sale in Getxo (Spain). Twin KAD 42s with les than 500 hours on the original engines. Spanish flagged but suspect it is UK owned (possibly Scottish boater). Will explore - but nowhere near where I need it to be (Sotogrande). Quite a road trip to transport it across Spain which may make it uneconomical in the round.
Lovely boat a classic design by Fairline
Quite a bit larger though.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
So what do folks think about Doral boats? There is a 2002 Doral 310 SE in Torreveija with twin Mercruiser diesel engines (less than 700 hours). Looks clean and well kept.
Do they hold their value?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I wouldn't worry too much about outdrives. We have an annual oil change and new bellows every other year. Cost for the big services is well under £1k. Drives are largely repairable and if one is totally shagged then you can but a recon one for £3-4k.

kashurst

Visit site
I'm exploring buying a berth in Sotogrande - 6 nautical miles from Gibraltar which I gather is where folks go for their VAT-free fuel.
From there I will gently cruise up and down the coastline - not a speed merchant (at 62 I'm after a more gentle serene time at the helm).
I'm advised that diesel engines are easier to work on so leaning that way.
Looking at a S28, Targa 30 and Sea Ray 350 in Torrevieja - couple of different brokers but 3 Marins are all within a stone's throw of each other.

Interested in hooking up with anyone who is or has kept their boat in the Med. Is 'Kashurst' still registered on this form?
PM sent.

PlanB

Visit site
Look very carefully at the implications of buying a berth in Andalucia. I don't know about Sotogrande specifically, but a lot of marinas are leased to the operators for a fixed term, and subleases are sold on. I recall that many of the leases were due to expire in the 2020s. In addition, if you do buy a lease/berth, and no longer want or need it , you are stuck with it if you can't resell. Better to rent. Have a look at Duquesa and Estepona, next ones up the coast from Soto.
I kept mine on a rental berth in Duquesa for 12 years.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Look very carefully at the implications of buying a berth in Andalucia. I don't know about Sotogrande specifically, but a lot of marinas are leased to the operators for a fixed term, and subleases are sold on. I recall that many of the leases were due to expire in the 2020s. In addition, if you do buy a lease/berth, and no longer want or need it , you are stuck with it if you can't resell. Better to rent. Have a look at Duquesa and Estepona, next ones up the coast from Soto.
I kept mine on a rental berth in Duquesa for 12 years.
Thanks for heads up. Aware of marina concessions - Sotogrande runs for another 30+ years. Looked at Duquesa but concession expires 2027 - and didn't like Estepona.

BruceK

Visit site
2100hrs seems very high.
Perhaps others would comment on longevity of sterndrives.

Not at all if the engines have been maintained and not abused. I have KAD42's the 6 cyl variant and they have at least double that on them and they are still going strong. Admittedly over the years everything that attaches to the engine, turbo's, superchargers oil coolers etc have been replaced but if your prospect has had similar work then I would not be overly concerned. Unlike the more modern diesels they just keep running so long as they have air, fuel and dont overheat you will likely be fine.

I do about 400 hours a year, had the boat over 10 years and it was 18 years old when I got it

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Not at all if the engines have been maintained and not abused. I have KAD42's the 6 cyl variant and they have at least double that on them and they are still going strong. Admittedly over the years everything that attaches to the engine, turbo's, superchargers oil coolers etc have been replaced but if your prospect has had similar work then I would not be overly concerned. Unlike the more modern diesels they just keep running so long as they have air, fuel and dont overheat you will likely be fine.

I do about 400 hours a year, had the boat over 10 years and it was 18 years old when I got it
Thanks for the reassurance Bruce.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Lovely boat a classic design by Fairline
Quite a bit larger though.
Have been sent videos of the Fairline Targa 38 engines running. Stated to have 500 hours only on original 1995 engines. Boat has had 2 owners - neither used the boat much. Tempted to go have a look see.

stelican

Visit site
Have been sent videos of the Fairline Targa 38 engines running. Stated to have 500 hours only on original 1995 engines. Boat has had 2 owners - neither used the boat much. Tempted to go have a look see.
Sounds like it's the same age as Bruce k's boat.
He mentions that he has replaced quite a few components but don't know if this because of wear, age/ corrosion.
Maybe he could say how much maintenance has cost in his ownership.
Well worth having alook at the Targa.
Is it listed anywhere?

Last edited:

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
He mentions that he has replaced quite a few components but don't know if this because of wear, age/ corrosion.
Is it listed anywhere?
BruceK - any advice or intel on maintenance costs. The service kit for thew KAD42s is significantly more than for KAD32s - are all engine parts significantly more expensive?

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Is it listed anywhere?
BruceK - any advice or intel on maintenance costs. The service kit for thew KAD42s is significantly more than for KAD32s - are all engine parts

Bruce - appreciate your advice/intel on Targa 38 and KAD 42s. Service kit costs a lot more than one for KAD32s - are all engine/service parts significantly more expensive than for KAD32s?
more expensive

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
BruceK - any advice or intel on maintenance costs. The service kit for thew KAD42s is significantly more than for KAD32s - are all engine parts

Bruce - appreciate your advice/intel on Targa 38 and KAD 42s. Service kit costs a lot more than one for KAD32s - are all engine/service parts significantly more expensive than for KAD32s?
more expensive
The difference in service costs between 32's and 42's will be negligible (a couple of hundred £) in the grand scheme of things.

BruceK

Visit site
I have no idea of service costs for the 32 but as it is just a 4 cylinder version cut down block of the 6 I cant really see that there will be much price difference. Everything pretty much the same except maybe fluid quantity. Servicing the engines in relation to running fun costs is largely negligible and very much DIY. The cost of full tanks of fuel. The outdrives is where you need to pay attention. Get the pros to pour love and attention on them annually and you will be fine.