Newbie Seeking Advice

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Beer? Now if you had said that from the start Id have sold you brand new turbos cheap and fitted them myself. .... dont ask... I buy loads of stuff I dont need. Every winter I punish the plastic to get in touch with my feminine side. Only thing the 90's taught me really.
If you were a real pirate you’d loot em.
Travelling back to Manchester today but will get on touch and share photos on this forum to gather intel and influence my decision on an offer.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
This is a lot of talk about repeatedly replacing parts, retrofitting things and then some. As you know, there are no cheap parts for boats, but the green lumps are at the top of the list when it comes to cost.

And no one has mentioned ECUs.

With two Toyota Landcruiser based Nanni on shafts, it's all completely out of my world, still with 20 year old engines.

Oil and filters, a regular spray on the outside to keep them looking good and timing belts every 5 years. That's it, and it's all DIY.

Have had boats for 56 years with different engine makes and models and these engines were a deciding factor when I bought the boat from a forumite 13 years ago.

He has traded a few times since but still says he misses this boat/engines, not least because of the reliability and overall economy.

Admittedly, each to his own, though. ;)

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
This is a lot of talk about repeatedly replacing parts, retrofitting things and then some. As you know, there are no cheap parts for boats, but the green lumps are at the top of the list when it comes to cost.

And no one has mentioned ECUs.

With two Toyota Landcruiser based Nanni on shafts, it's all completely out of my world, still with 20 year old engines.

Oil and filters, a regular spray on the outside to keep them looking good and timing belts every 5 years. That's it, and it's all DIY.

Have had boats for 56 years with different engine makes and models and these engines were a deciding factor when I bought the boat from a forumite 13 years ago.

He has traded a few times since but still says he misses this boat/engines, not least because of the reliability and overall economy.

Admittedly, each to his own, though. ;)
Thanks for your intel.
I guess my concern is less with maintaining them once purchase another boat - but the use/mis-use they may have had beforehand.
Appreciate that the Volvo Pentas (green lumps) are expensive - but with most things in life quality and reliability comes at a cost.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
quality and reliability comes at a cost.
And there you state the reasons for my desire for Toyota-based engines. Business wise I call it TCO.

There are a lot of Volvo Pentas out there, but nothing compared to the Landcruisers, with more than 10.000.000 sold, not including engines sold for marinisation or machinery by Yanmar, Nanni and more.
Which also ensures access to parts and service, OEM and after market.

Green, admittedly, is the colour of hope, so you might have something there.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
And there you state the reasons for my desire for Toyota-based engines. Business wise I call it TCO.

There are a lot of Volvo Pentas out there, but nothing compared to the Landcruisers, with more than 10.000.000 sold, not including engines sold for marinisation or machinery by Yanmar, Nanni and more.
Which also ensures access to parts and service, OEM and after market.

Green, admittedly, is the colour of hope, so you might have something there.
Familiar with Total Cost of Ownership (42 years working in Government exposed me to a new disciplines).

We could add Cummins to the list since I read/hear good reviews of them too.

I thought green was envy (but I may be mistaken).

kawasake

Visit site
Thanks for brightening my day
Sorry🫣 wasn’t the intention
You mention at the end you did not want something on its last legs that would let you down
Or words to that effect
Others will argue/ debate otherwise , my experience I would never own or recommend a boat with ‘legs’
Some owners would have nowt else!!
What I’m saying is pay as much attention to the Outdrives of any intentional purchase as you may do to the engines
Plus pay little attention to me
Because as others will tell you I’m probably the worst ambassador ever for Outdrives!😱
😁😁

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Outdrives aka stern drives, and particularly IPS, have a reputation for unreliability and high repair costs, not necessarily undeserved, but the point is - care and maintenance of those bits is indeed vital, as these devices have complex oily bits immersed in sea water.

BruceK

Visit site
The best thing you will find , is you are moving away from the two vagabonds , I can not show the other one as it’s before the threshold time.
I can. Meet Kwakkers

Y5TgiHK.jpg