Newbie Seeking Advice

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
I think Mercury/Mercruiser petrol engines are OK. Their diesels I would avoid.

For safety reasons I will never have a petrol engine in an enclosed space in the hull (I've been on a boat that exploded). So for me it's inboard=diesel, petrol=hanging off the transom outside. And no sterndrives for me either.

If shafts does it for Maersk they're plenty fine for me too.
View attachment 179469
Understood and agree re diesel only on inboard engines.
Yet to find a Sealine S34 or Trade 34 with shafts - all seen this far have outdrives. Do they exist?

PlanB

Visit site
My search in the med for my first motor cruiser continues...
Have taken a few trips out and viewed a number of different boats.

Started with a Sealine S28 but jit ust isn't big enough downstairs if me and thie missus invite some friends abroad. Have decided we want seating downstairs in addition to the main cabin bed (so we don't have to keep taking the table down to make the bed up).
So started looking at bigger boats - to get the seating downstairs we need to go above 30 foot.

Have looked at Fairline Targa (30,31, 34 and 38s), Cranchi 39s, Bayliner 305, Doral 310 SE and Sea Ray 355 Sundanvcer. Still looking for a Sealine S34 to see what that looks/feels like.

I'll wait for the groans - but next week I'm going to look at a couple of old Sunseekers - a 1991 Martinique 38, and a Portofino 34 - a 2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 - and possibly a 1997 Crownline 330 CR.

Welcome any experiences or views - good and bad.

If anyone has any contacts in the med (not the on-line sellers/agents which I've exhausted) I'd be grateful for contact details (separate pm of course).
Give Tris Reay Young a call - based in Duquesa. +34 626 866 381
boats for sale, boats for sale spain, used boats, pre-owned boats, new boats for sale spain, boat brokers, yacht brokers, boats, boat brokers

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
How about a fly , have u seen the fair 34 in blanes Spain.
Yep saw that one. 80,000 euros a little more than I want to spend. Offered 55,000 but refused. Have asked for detail on servicing/maintenance of engines/drives. Response might encourage me to up my offer a bit. Was hoping to spend less than £50k GBP

PEJ

Visit site
Try the guys at Jover in Alicante, @PEJ has had a good experience with them, sold and bought plus they seem responsive and helpful. I met the broker at Dusseldorf in Jan but can’t remember his name!
I'm a bit behind the curve on this thread. Yes, Jover in Alicante are very good. The broker SF met was Samuel Jover, the owner but I suggest you contact Danilo Maggi danilo@joveryatchs.com he can tell what he has got on the books but he can also look out for any suitable boats as well.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
This lot are the resident broker/chandler in Duquesa:
Home
They were always pleasant and helpful.

These Pre-Owned Boats - Marina Marbella put themselves about a bit, but I have no direct experience.

These About Us - Carrera Yachting were spoken well of.

It's been five years since I left the area, but if I can help with info - just ask.
Thanks for the contacts PlanB. Have emailed them all. Will keep you in mind if I have any questions.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
So another update following my trip to Mallorca (and Menorca) viewing 6 more boats. Came back with two strong contenders in mind....

The 1991 Sunseeker 38 Martinique was in a warehouse - she presented very well. Long, sleek and well looked after. 3 owners from new - current owner is a private pilot working out of Dubai so hardly gets time to use her.
KAD41s with around 700 hours on them. Engines practically rebuilt in 2022 - new turbos. coolers, hoses, fillers, tops, mounts, new pumps, propellers and tails A lot of work invested on her - all seating (cockpit and saloon) has been updated. Only downside being age of the boat which shows its age a bit downstairs and doesn't have fridge, etc in cockpit social space. Up for 55,000 euros - sorely tempted to make an offer.

Also liked the 2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 Express Cruiser (on Menorca). Nice inside and out - on deck and below in there saloon. Open plan downstairs - 2 double beds - one a settle that turns into a double bed. Mercruiser diesel 300 engines with around 450 hours. Bow thruster, air con, new galley fridge. Again well looked after - but getting too big for owner to manage and he has invested in smaller day boats. Up for 60,000 euros.

Still have an inkling for Fairline Targa - there are a few 37s on the market. And spotted a Sealine S34 but priced a little too high at 82,000 euros (but did reduce to 70,000 euros after an initial email).

Many thanks to all for their continuing support and advice. Please keep it coming - including views on the Sunseeker :). Enjoying this journey.