Newbie Seeking Advice

Neil1300r

Visit site
So another update following my trip to Mallorca (and Menorca) viewing 6 more boats. Came back with two strong contenders in mind....

The 1991 Sunseeker 38 Martinique was in a warehouse - she presented very well. Long, sleek and well looked after. 3 owners from new - current owner is a private pilot working out of Dubai so hardly gets time to use her.
KAD41s with around 700 hours on them. Engines practically rebuilt in 2022 - new turbos. coolers, hoses, fillers, tops, mounts, new pumps, propellers and tails A lot of work invested on her - all seating (cockpit and saloon) has been updated. Only downside being age of the boat which shows its age a bit downstairs and doesn't have fridge, etc in cockpit social space. Up for 55,000 euros - sorely tempted to make an offer.

Also liked the 2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 Express Cruiser (on Menorca). Nice inside and out - on deck and below in there saloon. Open plan downstairs - 2 double beds - one a settle that turns into a double bed. Mercruiser diesel 300 engines with around 450 hours. Bow thruster, air con, new galley fridge. Again well looked after - but getting too big for owner to manage and he has invested in smaller day boats. Up for 60,000 euros.

Still have an inkling for Fairline Targa - there are a few 37s on the market. And spotted a Sealine S34 but priced a little too high at 82,000 euros (but did reduce to 70,000 euros after an initial email).

Many thanks to all for their continuing support and advice. Please keep it coming - including views on the Sunseeker :). Enjoying this journey.
I was going to say go and look at the S34 especially as the price is coming down. I've bought one 6 weeks ago. It will have a more modern interior to the Sunseeker. But then I looked online and the Sunseeker looks great for the money with all the work done on it. I know that's of no help, but good luck 😁

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
I was going to say go and look at the S34 especially as the price is coming down. I've bought one 6 weeks ago. It will have a more modern interior to the Sunseeker. But then I looked online and the Sunseeker looks great for the money with all the work done on it. I know that's of no help, but good luck 😁
Thanks Neil.
The broker has provided more photos than on the website - 3 or 4 showing the engines out of the boat. If I knew how to upload them on here I would.

Neil1300r

Visit site
Thanks Neil.
The broker has provided more photos than on the website - 3 or 4 showing the engines out of the boat. If I knew how to upload them on here I would.
If I'm looking at the right one, Palma Mallorca, then its with 3 brokers. One of them has pictures of the engines on a bench. I'd try and find out how much the storage fees are. If it doesn't sell in the next couple of months then the owner will be looking at another 6-8 months of storage fees, as unlikely to sell, in the winter. Make a cheeky offer. Good luck

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Neil - you are. I was shown it by Yate Ocassion. The engines are now back in the boat and I have asked for videos of engine access.
I viewed the boat last Wednesday - and was told another interested client was flying out from Barcelona to see it the following Monday (may have been sales talk - but broker appeared genuine enough). In his view the owner has spent as much money on renovating there boat as it is now being asked for it.

I am considering a cheeky offer - but am new to this game so don't want to insult the owner or broker. I guess the worse that can happen is they refuse the offer.

Neil1300r

Visit site
Neil - you are. I was shown it by Yate Ocassion. The engines are now back in the boat and I have asked for videos of engine access.
I viewed the boat last Wednesday - and was told another interested client was flying out from Barcelona to see it the following Monday (may have been sales talk - but broker appeared genuine enough). In his view the owner has spent as much money on renovating there boat as it is now being asked for it.

I am considering a cheeky offer - but am new to this game so don't want to insult the owner or broker. I guess the worse that can happen is they refuse the offer.
Cheeky offer - that's what brokers are there for, no insult direct to the owner. You can always up an offer if the first one is refused

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Cheeky offer - that's what brokers are there for, no insult direct to the owner. You can always up an offer if the first one is refused
So a (very) cheeky offer of 40,000 euros was refused point blank by broker due to money spent by the owner on updating. They have come down from 55,000 to 50,000 euros but I don't think they are going to budge from there. Owner isn't short of a few bob - but is incurring storage fees.
Even though she is a 1990 the boat may well sell at 50,000 euros - do I stick or twist. Go for it or play hard ball and hold out (but risk someone else buying her?

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
My search continues. Appreciate it if fellow forum members would keep an eye out for me and let me know if they see a boat coming up for sale or newly listed (in case I miss it).
I'm looking to spend around £35k to 40k tips. Want something 32 foot minimum. Must have twin diesels (ideally with srecords of servicing and maintenance). Really fancying a Targa or Sealine S34 - but the Sunseeker 38 Martinique is also in the running.

Seastoke

Visit site
I once made a cheeky offer on a serious record collection ,what I wanted desperately later I offered the asking and the owner said he would never sell to me as I insulted him. Be careful.

Timeless 2

Visit site
If I’m understanding correctly you have offered 40k and the asking price has been reduced to 50k. You are not that far apart if you consider the upgrade works to be done well. 10k disappears very quickly on an old boat. At this age condition and maintenance is critical to future expense. If you think it’s the one for you then get on it.

Neil1300r

Visit site
My search continues. Appreciate it if fellow forum members would keep an eye out for me and let me know if they see a boat coming up for sale or newly listed (in case I miss it).
I'm looking to spend around £35k to 40k tips. Want something 32 foot minimum. Must have twin diesels (ideally with srecords of servicing and maintenance). Really fancying a Targa or Sealine S34 - but the Sunseeker 38 Martinique is also in the running.
You are not going to find a good condition S34 for that price range. Or a Fairline Targa. They are slightly cheaper on the continent but not that cheap. I've not done a search on Martinique 38's, what are others going for?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I haven’t read all 7 pages , but I’ll chip in .
Avoid mercruiser both petrol and diesel.
Most petrol engines are direct water cooled which means the engines do not last in terms of corrosion so avoid at all cost , never mind the safety side having petrol on board !! .
Stick with Volvo penta diesel , KAD 32/42/43/44/300 are all fairly robust engines . As for service history you will be lucky to get good history, the surveyors will tell you if they are good or bad , I’d fly a UK one out there.
Careful what you buy , I’d stick with uk built boats , watch the Sealines for hull cracks they were built very different to Princess or Fairline .

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
I once made a cheeky offer on a serious record collection ,what I wanted desperately later I offered the asking and the owner said he would never sell to me as I insulted him. Be careful.
I've got a record collection (7 inch vinyls from 1988 to 2011) if you're interested.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
I haven’t read all 7 pages , but I’ll chip in .
Avoid mercruiser both petrol and diesel.
Most petrol engines are direct water cooled which means the engines do not last in terms of corrosion so avoid at all cost , never mind the safety side having petrol on board !! .
Stick with Volvo penta diesel , KAD 32/42/43/44/300 are all fairly robust engines . As for service history you will be lucky to get good history, the surveyors will tell you if they are good or bad , I’d fly a UK one out there.
Careful what you buy , I’d stick with uk built boats , watch the Sealines for hull cracks they were built very different to Princess or Fairline .
What about Sunseekers? Built in UK even if no longer British owned.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Update for any interested followers of this thread...

1991 Sunseeker 38 Martinique still in the running but broker not moving from 50,000 euros.
2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 Express also still in the running. Owner has moved from £50k to £42,500 (but Mercruisers on board and I am been warned to avoid these engines)
1995 Targa 38 in Spain - still waiting on the broker to provide evidence of work done on the engines.
1985 Targa 33 now up for sale in France at less than £20k. Lightly used in 10 years ownership - Volvo Penta AQAD41A engines with 1750 hours but reportedly regularly maintained by professionals.
Nice looking Sealine 328 Sovereign in Spain with Volvo engines that underwent complete re-fit in 2017 (waiting on broker detail about what was replaced)
Also spotted Sea Ray 350/370 XSS Cruiser (1991) in Spain that had new Cummins 6BTA engines fitted in 2019 (along with just about everything else). 200 hours on these engines. £50k

As always, welcome considered views from experts and experienced folk on this forum.

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Have you looked at a Gobbi
Haven't too date. Italian boats - styling like the Cranchi. Advice on here is to buy a British made boat. How do Gobbi's compare to the likes of Fairline Tragas, Sealine s and Sea Ray sports cruisers? Do they hold their value?

ClaytonDJ

Visit site
Morning all.
Scenario that I'd welcome your thoughts/input on.
I am looking at buying a boat in Spain. The boat in question has always been moored in Spain (on Mallorca) - never left the EU. It is reportedly EU VAT paid (though I do need to secure evidence of this).
The boat was first bought in 1991 by a Spanish gent and it was Spanish registered,
In 1996 he sold it to a bloke from the UK who flagged it as a UK boat. It was thenre-sold back to a gent in Spain in 2020 - before the end of the BREXIT transition period on 31/12/2020). So on 31/12/2020 it was still in EU waters ,and at that time owned by a Spaniard who was resident in Mallorca. He has registered it with a polish flag (easier and cheaper apparently).
My conclusion from all of this is that the boat will have EU Union status and have free movement in the EU.

My questions is if I buy it, being a UK resident, will the boat lose its EU union status (even though it will continue to remain in Spanish waters). I have no intention of importing it to the UK.

Any definitive knowledge or experienceout there of this specific sort of circumstances?