Request to Forum Admin to remove marklow video thread

DougH

Visit site
Paul,

No particular allegiance to SD or planing, sometimes I like to toodle slowly and others to move on a pace.

The SD boats would have large engines an be capable of 18 knots cruising and 23knots max.

My son being 41 years old prefers the planing vessels.

Benny1,

Agree with your remarks about 'bling' as this is how I saw their older models, but the new range is more restrained and to my eyes conservatively modern without 'bling' which I hate.

The Salesman I spoke to ageed that in the past the boats were bright and glittzy but over the years the design has matured. Quite a good way of putting it.

The suggested reason for the gradual change is that the origonal purchasers of Sun Seekers are themselves maturing and having different requirements to when they were young and footloose.

Not sure if I can remember that far back.

Doug

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm quite sure if I was spending the sort of money that Gludy was on the Trader then I for certain would also be a "fussy git".

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish Gludy all the best for resolving his lack of a boat. Having read the threads I'm just glad I don't have that sort of money to spend on a boat, if I did, I don't think I would ever be satisfied.

Chas25

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

We attempted (because of your love of the boat) to look at the Marlow but was refused entry to the boat because I was not prepared to give the girl proof of my finances. We walked away laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this is repeating something already said but that is awful! and what exactly are you supposed to carry around with you as proof that you are capable of buying something/anything that expensive? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

KevB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is his name Pete AKA GC1 by any chance /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Worse. If something of Pete's broke he'd just go buy a more expensive one.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Bear in mind that up to now I have ignored Sun Seeker beacause I did not like them. Don't know why.

We looked at the Sun Seeker 62 and 70, and we are now going to Poole next week for sea trails on both as we ALL fell in love with both boats and we are 99% that we will be placing an order within 14 days and paying cash.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doug, that is almost exactly what happened to us. I was pretty set on the new Targa 64, and even went to Cannes to see it before the official "world-premier" launch at SIBS. Whilst at Cannes we looked at Riva and Pershing and were made very welcome indeed. I didn't look at Sunseeker because like you I did not like them. I think I've met one too many loud flash harrys and unfortunately most of them owned Sunseekers.

So as the Predator 62 was on my short list I almost reluctantly had a look at SIBS. From start to finish we were properly looked after and viewed the Predator 62, 72, 82 and Manhattan 70 walking straight on without regard for the queues. Whilst we were onboard each vessel only a few others were permitted onboard. This is how to keep your serious and possible future customers happy. Furthermore, it's great PR. I remember going to the motor show with my dad when I was 11. I queued for ages to sit in all sorts of exotica and that memory stayed with me. In my adult life I;m fortunate to have owned some incredible supercars. Like I said, good PR.

The whole Sunseeker experience was great and it permitted me to look at their range without the preconceived ideas I once had. They are well made, beautifully stylish craft and in the case of the Predator series offer great performance too. We came back the following Tuesday and ordered a Predator 72 that day. Our seatrial is tomorrow.

A very slick, customer focussed operation with a seatrial within 7 days of the show finishing. Brilliant.

Explore Yachts take note - you've upset a lot of people with your attitude. Asking for proof of finances? It doesn't get much dumber than that. You don't deserve to succeed.

MapisM

Visit site
Details.

[ QUOTE ]
what exactly are you supposed to carry around with you as proof that you are capable of buying something/anything that expensive?

[/ QUOTE ]The difference is all in the details.
Don't make the mistake to assume that SS are less willing to sell boats than Explorer, or more interested to lurkers.
In fact, it's actually the opposite, and that's why they have trained people standing there, trying to hook prospects - something that Explorer either didn't understand or couldn't afford.
Think about what Doug said: his son was just politely asked a very basic question.
"are you thinking of buying a boat sir? Obvious answer was yes and up come a salesman"
And that was enough to gain the front of the line as potential buyers.
Did SS know how hot they were on their purchasing decision?
Did they know if they could afford their boat?
Were they sure they weren't timewasters?
The answer to all these questions is obviously no.
BUT, other people wating in the line probably replied to the initial question saying "well, ermm, maybe" or "I'm making up my mind", and so on.
For a trained salesman, the difference towards a straightforward "yes" is huge.
And then of course there are many others details - watches, bags, shoes, etc.
Not to mention that they know very well what NEVER ask (directly) to anyone: proof of their finances.
Not because they're not interested, but because they're aware that anybody who can afford spending big money on a boat would be piXXed off by such question - again, something that apparently Explorer didn't understand.

Chas25

Visit site
Re: Details.

Totally understand that (and agree!) I noticed a marked difference in the way I was approached this year in general, the two most common open questions were, where do you do your boating and what boat do you already have?

As for clothes I go in what’s comfortable, not one for buying designer outfits and the like, why bother!? Having bought a pair of jeans in Gap for £35 I found a pair that actually fitted better for £15 in Tesco’s, the Gap jeans will be going back tomorrow, in my book that’s another hour on the boat I've paid for!

BUT.. If Explorer were asking to see proof of finances then what were they expecting to see?? I mean who's going to carry a bank statement around at a boat show.. ESPECIALLY if they did have that sort of money!!

I am assuming some people did manage to get on the Marlow so what did they show?? Is there a special "I can afford a £1m boat card" that you get issued with when you can /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nyx2k

Visit site

a friend of my brother's expressed an interest in a new marlow after deciding not to buy a new trader. he was sent an invitation card to view the boat at sibs.

he and his partner had to wait 15 mins before being allowed on and was they were rushed around the boat and when another person was ushered onto the boat who looked a little better dressed they were told to leave now as were very busy.
another 1.5 mil not going to explorer

SP2

www.rightsofway.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
what exactly are you supposed to carry around with you as proof that you are capable of buying something/anything that expensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

A rather sad individual wanting to buy my Dad's 42 footer produced a copy of the probate for his mother's estate as he stepped aboard to show he had the dosh /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We hadn't asked... and rather wished he hadn't.

Back on thread - well done Paul for taking a stand. One I would take myself. Hence why I no longer buy from TCS Chandlery, Beadles Nissan, Sainsbury's West Thurrock...

DougH

Visit site

MapisM,

Spot on, cannot agree more.

Have to say that Princess was also spot on and could not have been more proffessional and helpful.

benjenbav

Visit site

As to judging people's wealth by how they dress. Every time I see Roman Abromovitch (in the newspapers, I hasten to add, in case anyone thinks I am in the habit of nipping round to his flat for a voddy and a chat about the old days /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) he is wearing jeans and a casual jacket. I imagine he generally goes around with a security presence but just imagine that he had given his minders the slip for a morning last week and had happened to fancy a stroll round SIBS and maybe buy something. The Marlow 72 might have been a nice deck toy for one of his boats but presumably he would have got fairly short shrift on account of not wearing a tie and not having his bank statement handy.

On a par with the Decca executive who told the Beatles that groups with guitars were going out of fashion.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

I observed the young lady on the Marlow for at least twenty minutes and I didn't hear her ask anyone for proof of ability to pay (I am sure there are many people who don't have the money, but do have the access to finance) but she did pass a very critical eye over anyone who approached her - and it was a fairly intrusive inspection, which is why I observed in an earlier post that she was detecting Saville Row and rejecting M&S.

I was wearing M&S style - I fully admit that my undies are Matalan - but instinctively knew that my 'comfortable' but old Hush Puppies and army CWC watch would not fit in with her obviously practiced eye to spot Gucci and Rolex.

So, I conclude that the 'gatekeeper' employed and briefed by the company was probably using her prejudices to vet potential buyers. Using an analogy, you don't pick just the best fruit off an apple tree, you pick all the fruit and then sort the good from the bad later.

I know more scrap metal dealers, builders, breakdown truck owners and waste disposal merchants who own half a million pound boats than so-called posh rich people.

Explorer Yachts needs to re-appraise its marketing strategy as it is potentially ignoring the people who have real and instant disposable funds, many of whom would not take kindly to being told off for making a video.

On all the approaches to the show, Sunseeker had bought much of the billboard space, advertising boats of all sizes, even the the big yachts, so they are very aware of their potential customer base.

benjenbav

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I was wearing M&S style - I fully admit that my undies are Matalan - but instinctively knew that my 'comfortable' but old Hush Puppies and army CWC watch would not fit in with her obviously practiced eye to spot Gucci and Rolex.

[/ QUOTE ]

What she said to me was that, in fact, she was wearing x-ray contact lenses so that she could turn away blokes who were wearing Matalan grundies. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

[ QUOTE ]
a friend of my brother's expressed an interest in a new Marlow after deciding not to buy a new trader. he was sent an invitation card to view the boat at sibs.
he and his partner had to wait 15 mins before being allowed on and was they were rushed around the boat and when another person was ushered onto the boat who looked a little better dressed they were told to leave now as were very busy.
another 1.5 mil not going to explorer

[/ QUOTE ]

I am frankly very angry reading all these reports.
If ever a business was handed on a plate to someone it was this one.
I was getting telephone an email reports of how people felt not getting on and how people felt after they had been on and with growing horror tried to do something about it. So many people have not appeared in public on the forum.

The Marlow policy is to spend time regardless of the ability to afford and not to enquire on the ability to afford. So anyone being rushed off it totally against the Marlow policy - it really is not their fault and Marlow themselves are the exact opposite of all SIBs nonsense.

I have met David Marlow and the staff over in Florida a few times and all I have ever had is a pleasant experience of meeting nice people. I have spoken on the phone at length to David Marlow's partner and again all I have had is respect and consideration.

Marlow can speak for themselves but I do want to defend them and the boat from all this SIBS stuff. IMHO they would never knowingly do any of this nonsense - in fact the exact opposite.

They would, IMHO:-
1. Always want to give each customer the full time on the boat regardless of their means or who they are.
2. They would make appointment times prior to the show and make appointments at the show for any gaps.
3. They would never dream of asking for proof of income.
4. They would always be very polite and always offer a private viewing back at their yard if for any reason a boat could not be seen at the show.

All the above is my opinion of how I see Marlow - I am only a normal punter and cannot speak on their behalf.

Explorer Yachts had 4 staff on board but only one doing the main tour and handing over to another for the engine room part which was usually last. Therefore instead of waiting on the pontoon clients could have been allowed on the boat and been with a member of staff in say the cockpit whilst the previous clients were finishing. They could have also been offered a drink if they were asked to wait past the appointment time. its all so easy and straight forward.

Near the end of the show we were sitting on the boat with a friend who had also ordered a Marlow and we heard someone climbing on board. I saw the person and so did SWMBO. SWMBO told me later that she was concerned that the poor chap who was not dressed very posh was going to have a swift rejection – as it turned out that would have been difficult because it was David Marlow who had just flown in!!!

jimg

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Near the end of the show we were sitting on the boat with a friend who had also ordered a Marlow and we heard someone climbing on board. I saw the person and so did SWMBO. SWMBO told me later that she was concerned that the poor chap who was not dressed very posh was going to have a swift rejection – as it turned out that would have been difficult because it was David Marlow who had just flown in!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just brilliant!!

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
as it turned out that would have been difficult because it was David Marlow who had just flown in!!!

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, but I bet he doesn't buy his skiddies from Matalan. Seems more like a Wal Mart man.

nyx2k

Visit site

gludy- surely if you were instrumental in getting Marlow into wales then there must be more deserving dealers who would love to take on Marlow so a better job can be done. maybe its worth emailing Marlow direct and all explaining our stories to them so they can find a better dealer before any more damage is done to marlows reputation..

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

Marlow are aware of the problems and are, I am sure very level headed and trying to be fair to all parties.

I think it would be a real shame if Explorer Yachts in Penarth lost the agency - I really want them to succeed and still feel that way. In a way I am sure, in fact, I know that they have some good sales so far even before the show so losing out on over £10m worth of orders may not effect them but what Marlow are about is very much an enjoyable experience for all and they care a lot about their name. They can sell out all their boats anyway but they are not in the slightest bit arrogant.

In a perfect world Explorer Yachts would realise what they have done and correct it and go onto a great future. I have put such effort into that , it is difficult to let go of that hope. It may not be real world though.

All I want to do is have a nice time buying my boat and spending my money. I think if Explorer Yachts issues a public apology to anyone who was offended at the show and contacted the leads that it has upset, that would be a great start. Without that I will watch in pain as I see my dream for the Marlow operation in the UK go up in smoke.

All I know is that I cannot deal with them anymore and I am now one of many after SIBS. This has been a thread kept alive not by me bashing anyone but by the experiences of others at the hands of Explorer Yachts.

I am not mounting any campaign against them, I feel terrible that once again I appear to have chosen the wrong dealer and that others that I have encouraged to go and see a Marlow have been so insulted..