Princess 43

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Evening all. I see there are still some familiar faces around here :)

As some will know I have bought a few new boats over the last 10 years and had some great times mainly in the med. Now I'm living in Jersey our sailing boat isn't going to work due to length but mainly draught. I'm also not really interested in the whole med boating scene any more so am looking for something more modest but still with a certain amount of style.

Some of our best boating times were onboard our Princess 42 in 2004. We really loved that boat. I also think that size is just about perfect for the Channel Islands from a berthing and cruising perspective. I was looking for a really late model 42 a few months ago and had a quick look at the 43. Wow! What a difference. I know it is technically a 47 but the sense of extra space is remarkable and the new flybridge layout is fantastic.

So I'm interested in buying a new one and wondered if there any 43 owners post here? I would be interested in any first-hand feedback before I take the plunge.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk

As some will know I have bought a few new boats over the last 10 years and had some great times mainly in the med. Now I'm living in Jersey our sailing boat isn't going to work due to length but mainly draught. I'm also not really interested in the whole med boating scene any more so am looking for something more modest but still with a certain amount of style.

Some of our best boating times were onboard our Princess 42 in 2004. We really loved that boat. I also think that size is just about perfect for the Channel Islands from a berthing and cruising perspective. I was looking for a really late model 42 a few months ago and had a quick look at the 43. Wow! What a difference. I know it is technically a 47 but the sense of extra space is remarkable and the new flybridge layout is fantastic.

So I'm interested in buying a new one and wondered if there any 43 owners post here? I would be interested in any first-hand feedback before I take the plunge.

HI Magnum.
If your ordering a new one is go for the cummins engine set up.
Keep us posted on your spec.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I agree with VP's opinion - it's hard to imagine that the D6-435 will have the grunt needed for the fully-specced weight of a P43 with hilo platform et al. Iirc you had the 75P 480's in your P42; I also had a P42 from new with the D6-435's, and it was a slug; 28kts flat out.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I agree with VP's opinion - it's hard to imagine that the D6-435 will have the grunt needed for the fully-specced weight of a P43 with hilo platform et al. Iirc you had the 75P 480's in your P42; I also had a P42 from new with the D6-435's, and it was a slug; 28kts flat out.
I had the TAM 74 430HP engines in my P42 and hit 30 knots .... once. I did however cross the channel at an average speed of 27.8 knots :D

I'm not particularly bothered if the 43 is a knot or 2 slower and if it did bother me there's always Chip Express which can take the D6 up to 478HP.

Nevertheless it would be really useful to know what the D6/43 combo is capable of.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I had the TAM 74 430HP engines in my P42 and hit 30 knots .... once. I did however cross the channel at an average speed of 27.8 knots :D

I'm not particularly bothered if the 43 is a knot or 2 slower and if it did bother me there's always Chip Express which can take the D6 up to 478HP.

Nevertheless it would be really useful to know what the D6/43 combo is capable of.

Aha gotcha, sorry, I misremembered.

henryf

www.911virgin.com

And I thought it was me who ate all the pies :)

We would just see 30 knots with a perfectly clean hull in our 2007 boat with D6 435 engines, less as the season progressed.

In truth we cruised, and still do in the 22-25 knot range. I think wide open throttle figures are something you know is there for when people ask you but you never really use, although 1149NM in three and a half days on another thread means that could just be me :)

Of more concern are the torque figures / how easily a boat pops up on the plane and strangely how it reacts at tickover for close quarters manoeuvring. I will concede that on the last point the P42 often needed a dab of throttle to get the job done.

H :)

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I think wide open throttle figures are something you know is there for when people ask you but you never really use

I agree henryf. There's some talk of the D6 engines being underpowered for the 43 but practical I'm not convinced it matters one bit.

Hugo_Andreae

Visit site

We are planning to sea trial the latest Seakeeper 5 fitted to a new Princess 43 in the next few days for a report in MBY, if that's an option that interests you. Will let you know how it goes.

Hugo

scubaman

Visit site
I have a Phantom 43 with the TAMD75's and just love how effortless getting on the plane is. Also in bad weather, it's very nice to just pull back to say 15 knots and still have the response if you need more speed for a wave, etc.

I've also had an underpowered boat which was the exact opposite. She was very slow to get on the plane and when pulling back close to the hump, she really struggled to get going again. Always hated that.

Fuel economy wise, I'm guessing that the bigger engines will be very marginally thirstier (if at all), but it's so useful to have enough power also in the 8 - 22 knot range. Probably over 17 tn with all the gear, the 43 is going to struggle with the D6's.

Portofino

Visit site
HI Magnum.
If your ordering a new one is go for the cummins engine set up.
Keep us posted on your spec.

Of all the posts on D6 vs Cummins this one says a lot .
From memory the tides and " races " can severe around the CI ?
With the best passage planning 8hit happens .
Also if you suffer from "tick box itis" at spec ing and tick every box adding Kg,s then more horses is the way to go .
My 17 T boat has 700's it's pleasure to drive as others have said plenty in reserve .
Yup tick over at 7 knots is a pain in the marina

aquapower

Visit site
I agree henryf. There's some talk of the D6 engines being underpowered for the 43 but practical I'm not convinced it matters one bit.

It could affect resale value when you decide to sell, certain engine options are more desirable.