Princess 43

Powersalt

Visit site
Magnum, There has been a P43 in Jersey for the last couple of weeks. Its fully speced where I am told the new owner ticked every available option. Jetty D waiting a delivery to Sweden, was due to go in June so you might just have missed it.

Powersalt

Visit site
Also meant to say re weight and engine options. The P43 is resin infused hull so much lighter than the P42 it replaces and so comparison on engine performance is perhaps not really fair

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
You are right Powersalt for a given size the P43 construction will be lighter but it is a much larger boat and displaces just over a tonne more than the P42.

47GC

Visit site
Hi Magnum,
I've got a P43 on order with BCU. I've been out on a P43 with the volvos and it did 28. Most of our cruising is done in the 20's with the odd blast. For us the price diff just didn't make sense.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
No I really did love that boat, for a year. The engines were too big for her though which apart from the disadvantages I have already mentioned meant she was quite bow high. V-drives certainly didn't help in that respect.

Lloydroberts

Visit site
Ok, fair comment.

I think I can guess the basics, not satisfied with the product etc.

Good luck with your new quest, exciting times for you(once again) the P43 is certainly a lovely boat :)

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Discussed engines with Princess today and they felt the engine issue wasn't as clear cut as some might think. Whilst the Cummins units do offer 2 knots more top speed their main attraction is higher torque which helps the boat get up on the plane easier.

However, they felt the Volvo service network was far superior and for many, especially in other parts of the world, this is an important consideration.

47GC

Visit site
Discussed engines with Princess today and they felt the engine issue wasn't as clear cut as some might think. Whilst the Cummins units do offer 2 knots more top speed their main attraction is higher torque which helps the boat get up on the plane easier.

However, they felt the Volvo service network was far superior and for many, especially in other parts of the world, this is an important consideration.
Yeah, I'd agree to all of the above. With the bigger engines your going to get on the plane perhaps 1 or 2 seconds quicker. Also in choppy seas the extra hp might come in handy. For us, we're on a loch for the next 5 ish years so unimportant. The plan is to move her to the med, but in 5 years you know that I'm going to be looking to go bigger! But that said I'll still be happy moving the 43 to the med on those engines so we will see.

kashurst

Visit site
if you find in the med you are short of umph to get on the plane you could change the prop pitch to get some more power down a few revs further round the tacho

Latestarter1

Visit site
Or go for a Chip Express upgrade to 485PS for £790 - http://www.chipexpress.com/products/2459/

Will make squat all difference and kiss your backside goodbye to VP warranty.

Cummins QSB has 1613 Nm of torque, no device which screws with PWM signal is a match for a properly optimised and developed curve. In addition the shape of the curve is a characteristic of engine displacement, the QSB transient response is like a rocket ship compared with D6. There are no levers you can pull to make the the Volvo D6 performance match the Cummins QSB 6.7.

Cummins self servicing warranty allows owner to use any servicing agent even VP if they please providing potentially lower cost of ownership.

Fuel consumption is characteristic propeller demand, pull the same power, consumption will be the same.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Spoke this morning with people who have trialled 43 with both D6 and QSB, not really anything thing to do with the extra bit of top end, two engine options give boats entirely different character MBY test summed this up.

One worrying comment was that D6 order board effectively dried up for this model and VP marketing responded by putting some serious sales allowances in at dealer level in order to retain at least some of the business.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I don't think anyone is disputing the Cummins is a more powerful engine than a chipped D6. But the chipped engine will produce more torque with all the benefits that gives.

The Cummins options is +£30K and crucially there isn't a boat available with this option now.

Anders_P42

Visit site
I don't think anyone is disputing the Cummins is a more powerful engine than a chipped D6. But the chipped engine will produce more torque with all the benefits that gives.

The Cummins options is +£30K and crucially there isn't a boat available with this option now.

But you'd need to replace props to gain the benefit and you'd have no warranty on 70K worth of engines.