Princess 43

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Is your's the V6 or V8 engine that's been chipped, interested to hear your feedback? I have the V6 engine in the FFRR.

PM me if you don't want to discuss on here.

I'll PM you because I don't want to continue drifting this thread

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Today I viewed the only new 43 available immediately which is a D6 boat. She was on the hard so no sea trial but I am definitely leaning towards the Cummins option. I don't think it's as clear cut as many here think but given a choice at the same price the bigger engine would win.

The only problem is that they are not the same price and when you factor in the price difference of a heavily discounted stock boat and a new order the total price difference is around £55K plus tax.

What does the panel think of that?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The only problem is that they are not the same price and when you factor in the price difference of a heavily discounted stock boat and a new order the total price difference is around £55K plus tax.

What does the panel think of that?

Whilst I'm sure you'd be pleased by the D6 powered 43, at some stage you will find yourself thinking you should have gone for the bigger engines. Also you'll get a good proportion of that £55k back when you sell the boat. IMHO its worth waiting for a Cummins engined boat

However the only proof of the pudding is to seatrial a D6 powered boat. If its plenty fast enough for you then maybe it'll be fine

henryf

www.911virgin.com
The big problem with a new boat built for you to your spec is the build slot hasn't cost the dealer anything. It is a chance to make money so they want to maximise return for what is essentially no risk. You also have to pay for every single option and fitting through what can sometimes be an eye watering price list.

Stock boats are a very different beast. In effect the dealer has missed the opportunity and now it costs them. The boat owes them cold hard cash which means every day it remains on their books someone wants their pound of flesh.

Don't get me wrong, a good company that has grown steadily will have deep pockets and doesn't need to panic and hold a fire sale. But essentially a stock boat is yesterday's news. The options might not be every buyers first choice and the list price of the bits and pieces won't have cost the dealer RRP. There are deals to be had. Our last 2 boats were bought in this way.

Some manufacturers will be a bit more realistic when it comes to build to order but I've always felt Princess a bit bullish. They protect their build slots. seeing them as the cream of the profit opportunities. Why discount when you don't have to yet? At the British show it was interesting to see they had a few stock boats across the range rather than lots of one particular model so they are doing something right.

All this assumes you aren't hung up on specific choices. Our tastes are pretty mainstream so a stock boat works well. I also like the thought of getting stuff we otherwise wouldn't have been prepared to pay RRP for. On the current P50 it's air con / reverse cycle heating. I've always struggled with the list price for it but am now a convert having inherited it as part of a long list of bits. We also got the larger CAT C12 engines which I was hoping for.

In your shoes I'd take the larger engines and the deal on a stock boat unless you can extract the same deal on a built to order boat. But I don't think you'll be able to. You might get somewhere if you allow it to be used for London 2016 but who knows? I also like to be in the water as soon as I've decided to take the plunge but I imagine the build process can be a journey. Maybe I've missed out there, I've never stepped foot in the factory for instance.

Sorry for the ramble.

Henry :)

Last edited:

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
In your shoes I'd take the larger engines and the deal on a stock boat unless you can extract the same deal on a built to order boat.

Thanks henryf, but don't you mean the smaller engines on the stock boat as that is the only option available right now?

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Thanks henryf, but don't you mean the smaller engines on the stock boat as that is the only option available right now?

Sorry, I miss read your post.

I have only ever had the largest engine option available in both the P42 and the P50. Previous boats were also the largest option at the time.

550 / 435 bhp & 1695 / 1040 NM of torque between the Cummins / Volvo is significant. The torque especially is a big difference.

It all depends on your intended usage but ultimately I'd be angling for the Cummins. One caveat I would place is total lack of knowledge of Cummins as a main propulsion engine. Our current and previous generators have been Onan / Cummins and they are in my humble opinion the generator of choice. Wonderful bits of kit. The wealth of knowledge on here would be able to advise as to any potential problems.

Either negotiate hard on a new build slot or wait for a larger engine stock boat. The P42 was built at a rate of 1 per week at its peak, I wonder if the P43 is aiming to do similar figures.

All the above is my humble opinion & I bow to someone with actual knowledge :)

Hugo_Andreae

Visit site
The 43 we tested last week with the new Seakeeper 5 fitted was also a Cummins boat. We'll be writing about it in the next issue of MBY, mainly to see how well the gyro worked in a smaller boat like this, but the extra weight of the gyro and generator made the torquier Cummins engines a bit of a no-brainer in this instance.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The 43 we tested last week with the new Seakeeper 5 fitted was also a Cummins boat. We'll be writing about it in the next issue of MBY, mainly to see how well the gyro worked in a smaller boat like this, but the extra weight of the gyro and generator made the torquier Cummins engines a bit of a no-brainer in this instance.

Well how well did the gyro work? We're all MBY subscribers so you're not going to lose any revenue by telling us now on the forum:p

henryf

www.911virgin.com
It was good. Everything's always good in the magazine :)

In seriousness I imagine it would work very well if you have the space to fit one. I wonder how long it will be before stabilisation is the norm? We need to get over the volume / cost hump.

rafiki_

Visit site
Sorry, I miss read your post.

I have only ever had the largest engine option available in both the P42 and the P50. Previous boats were also the largest option at the time.

550 / 435 bhp & 1695 / 1040 NM of torque between the Cummins / Volvo is significant. The torque especially is a big difference.

It all depends on your intended usage but ultimately I'd be angling for the Cummins. One caveat I would place is total lack of knowledge of Cummins as a main propulsion engine. Our current and previous generators have been Onan / Cummins and they are in my humble opinion the generator of choice. Wonderful bits of kit. The wealth of knowledge on here would be able to advise as to any potential problems.

Either negotiate hard on a new build slot or wait for a larger engine stock boat. The P42 was built at a rate of 1 per week at its peak, I wonder if the P43 is aiming to do similar figures.

All the above is my humble opinion & I bow to someone with actual knowledge :)

He who knows these things (Latestarter1) reckons the QSB is the best marine engine out there.

wakeup

Visit site
Or go for a Chip Express upgrade to 485PS for £790 - http://www.chipexpress.com/products/2459/

Magnum, I've taken a look at this. Does anyone know anyone who has actually done this in a boat? I think the differences are significant in terms of doing this to a car engine vs a boat as the continuous load on a boat is way greater than a car. I'd love it to be the case that this can work without immediate danger to the engine as I have a D4 that could go up to 340 hp afterwards. Without modification to the cooling and ancillaries I think a chipped engine really isn't going to last.

Last edited:

Hugo_Andreae

Visit site
Well how well did the gyro work? We're all MBY subscribers so you're not going to lose any revenue by telling us now on the forum:p

It was Dave Marsh testing it so I don't have much detail yet, all I do know is that it was an annoyingly calm day but that he did learn lots of interesting things about using the gyro that he wasn't expecting so the opportunity wasn't completely wasted. Unfortunately, it was a one day only opportunity so no chance to revisit on a lumpier day.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

It was Dave Marsh testing it so I don't have much detail yet, all I do know is that it was an annoyingly calm day but that he did learn lots of interesting things about using the gyro that he wasn't expecting so the opportunity wasn't completely wasted. Unfortunately, it was a one day only opportunity so no chance to revisit on a lumpier day.
Oh well, I suppose I'm going to have to read the magazine to get a proper answer!

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Thank you for the input folks. I really do appreciate it :)

I've just ordered a new P43 with the Cummins engine option for delivery May 2016. Here's the provisional specification :-

P43 Cummins QSB 6.7-550
Walnut interior wood satin finish
Flybridge wetbar
Quartz leather upholstery
Transom platform electro-hydraulic raise/lower
Additional 10m anchor chain
Onan 9.5kW generator
Ceramic electric hob
Deck saloon 40" HD LED TV on power lift
Raymarine e125 at lower helm
Raymarine e125 at upper helm
Raymarine SHD digital colour radar with 48" scanner