Outdrives a serious Question.

SC35

Visit site
But Had I ran the Boat aground then they would have paid out --- Something I wasnt Prepared to do was cause more Damage and be stranded on the edge of a field.

Hence wanting a T43 with Shafts - I don't want anything to do with the devils fans.
Jon

Just be aware that if you run aground with shafts at speed, a typical scenario is that the P-Bracket is driven upwards through the hull leaving a large hole, and the boat sinks. Or the shaft separates and pulls out, and the boat sinks.

Outdrives will usually kick up, albeit with damage, and the hull usually remains intact, assuming the drive is still attached.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Just be aware that if you run aground with shafts at speed, a typical scenario is that the P-Bracket is driven upwards through the hull leaving a large hole, and the boat sinks.

Outdrives will usually kick up, albeit with damage, and the hull usually remains intact, assuming the drive is still attached.
No not really you are clutching at straws .A shafts is known low to zero maintenance running costs proposition.
I have spent zero the last 10 yrs of shaft ownership. Drive train runs like a sewing machine .The 9 yrs of outdrive ( KAD DPG ) like others cost thousands , and oh Yeh I had emulsified oil , fishing line in between the duoprops the whole shooting match constantly regurgitated on this forum and every boaty forum WW .

Not here - the P bracket are supporting the thing I guess it depends on the build .😉

At the end of the day with outdrives the sea ( as always btw ) will win and bump up nasty maintenance bills and ruin trips .Cutless bearings want seawater Ingres to lubricate , they are designed to work with the sea not against The better designed shaft seals work with sea water feeding in a trickle usually taken off a gearbox cooler . Bring it on no need to engineering wise fight the sea .
388747AA-14DA-4F1A-9D44-B6FFB094E040.jpeg

SC35

Visit site
No not really you are clutching at straws

No I'm not, if this is someone running in shallow water where running aground is a risk, then shafts might not be the best option.
Outboards or outdrives have advantages in shallow water.

BruceK

Visit site
No I'm not, if this is someone running in shallow water where running aground is a risk, then shafts might not be the best option.
Outboards or outdrives have advantages in shallow water.

I dont think he hit that beach at 20 plus plenty knots. More like a greased landing and settling on the tide

SC35

Visit site
Nope = jets would be my first choice.

Jets ???

This is not what most buyers want, otherwise the volume mainstream builders would be offering it as an option.
Buyers want boats that are easy to dock in the marina,

Jets work fine on a Williams tender, so long as you avoid the seaweed clumps.

Momac

Visit site
I know of a Broom 38 that has serious mechanical damage from light grounding and came close to sinking . New gearbox and bellhousing was over £10k several years ago.
I had a minute earlier passed over the same spot in front if the shaft drive boat with no impact but worst case would have been trashed aluminium duoprops.
The same submerged object had claimed another shaft drive victim a few days earlier.
Overall shafts are less trouble but shaft drive is not immune from damage due to light grounding.

Portofino

Visit site
I know of a Broom 38 that has serious mechanical damage from light grounding and came close to sinking . New gearbox and bellhousing was over £10k several years ago.
I had a minute earlier passed over the same spot in front if the shaft drive boat with no impact but worst case would have been trashed aluminium duoprops.
The same submerged object had claimed another shaft drive victim a few days earlier.
Overall shafts are less trouble but shaft drive is not immune from damage due to light grounding.
Heard of insurance for this scenario ?

Momac

Visit site
Heard of insurance for this scenario ?
Yes of course.
The same cover is available for shaft drive and outdrives as far as I know
Just making a point that shaft drive is not necessarily less costly to fix after grounding compared to sterndrive.

Greg2

Visit site
Jets ???

This is not what most buyers want, otherwise the volume mainstream builders would be offering it as an option.
Buyers want boats that are easy to dock in the marina,

Jets work fine on a Williams tender, so long as you avoid the seaweed clumps.

We have jets on a boat at work and they are excellent in many ways and close quarter manoeuvring is a doddle once you get the hang of them.

But you are right about them not being mainstream but the reasons are more about the cost of them and the fact they are less efficient than other drive system in terms of fuel consumption.

Wavey

Visit site
Nobody curious about what the VP agent also said regards the engines on these outdrives ?
I for one assumed the engines didn’t have any major issues as you only asked about the outdrives. If they also require deep pockets to sort out surely it’s time to look elsewhere?

oldgit

Visit site
it’s time to look elsewhere?
Visible indications of lack of servicing on engines .
If the stuff you see has been neglected, what about the stuff you cannot, pretty certain these engines have internal zinc anodes.
Signs that water has been weeping out the pressure cap on the the cooling system of one of the engines , could be
something as simple as wrong pressure cap or has the heat exchanger failed internally ?

Wavey

Visit site
Visible indications of lack of servicing on engines .
If the stuff you see has been neglected, what about the stuff you cannot, pretty certain these engines have internal zinc anodes.
Signs that water has been weeping out the pressure cap on the the cooling system of one of the engines , could be
something as simple as wrong pressure cap or has the heat exchanger failed internally ?
I’m not sure I’d walk away from that boat with all its problems. I’d be running.

Is there some particular reason why the prospective buyer is even considering that boat? Perhaps his dream boat, a rare boat he wants to save or the price it’s being offered at?

jon and michie

Visit site
I’m not sure I’d walk away from that boat with all its problems. I’d be running.

Is there some particular reason why the prospective buyer is even considering that boat? Perhaps his dream boat, a rare boat he wants to save or the price it’s being offered at?
Could be a Case of Heart ruling the head - which I am Sure everyone has done at one point in their life

oldgit

Visit site
I’d be running.

Definately two out of those three ..............

oldgit

Visit site
Yes, but have had myself half a dozen long term "keepers" which curiously appear to start shrinking in size very shortly after purchase. ?
That new boat only remains exactly what you really need and have always wanted and should really have purchased in the first place for such a very brief time ?