South Netherlands/Belgium coast and waterways

Newbroom

Visit site
That’s interesting. Bruges and Ghent are on my list to visit and I was wondering about Nieuwpoort as a stop to leave the boat for a week while we go home for a family wedding. It’s also within cycling distance of Du Panne where we want to visit someone. Its then only a short hop to Dunkerque where we were originally going to start our a French trip.
If you lock through to the inland waters side of Nieuwpoort. VVW WesstHoeke i avry safe and very reasonable cost to leave it for a week. You can then either depending on the weather stay inthe canal system to Bruges or go back out to Ostend and lock through again.
Though the Nieuwpoort to Passendal canal is slow it probably not a lot longer than getting through Ostend. The bridges are all operated from Ostend and one phone call sees them all opening as you approach,

Gustywinds

Visit site
If you lock through to the inland waters side of Nieuwpoort. VVW WesstHoeke i avry safe and very reasonable cost to leave it for a week. You can then either depending on the weather stay inthe canal system to Bruges or go back out to Ostend and lock through again.
Though the Nieuwpoort to Passendal canal is slow it probably not a lot longer than getting through Ostend. The bridges are all operated from Ostend and one phone call sees them all opening as you approach,
Thank you, Weesthooke looks ideal and very reasonably priced. I’ll actually be coming the other way, from Bruges or somewhere east, then moving on to Dunkerque. I need to decide whether to do that by sea or along the canal to Veurne and on to Dunkerque.

Last edited:

Newbroom

Visit site
That’s interesting. Bruges and Ghent are on my list to visit and I was wondering about Nieuwpoort as a stop to leave the boat for a week while we go home for a family wedding. It’s also within cycling distance of Du Panne where we want to visit someone. Its then only a short hop to Dunkerque where we were originally going to start our a French trip.

Last edited:

mainshiptom

Visit site
We berthed our boat in Nieuwpoort in Belgium for one year after a 5 week trip around Belgium and Holland, I highly recommend Namur and Bisbosch .

We loved every minute and every day was an adventure, enjoy

Alicatt

Visit site
The App Waterkaarten is well worth paying for. It gives you all the info about inland waters you need such as marinas, locks, bridges ( air heights, opening times, vhf channels, tel nos) etc as well of course as the charts. Basically everything you need to know. It also does autorouting which is really useful and tracks you. I think you can try it free for a week. It covers the Netherlands & Belgium and Germany, France and the UK. I haven't downloaded it for the latter 3 so can't comment on that. It also has a copy of that unintelligible document for us Non Dutch speakers that you need to have.
Ah, according to the Waterkaarten ceo even though the Water Almanac is included in the app it may not be strictly legal, in that the water police will be looking for a physical copy and will depend on how the police are feeling that day! He said he included it in the app as he got a control by the police and never had a copy of the Almanac onboard, he has been subsequently stopped and the police and they still wanted a physical copy.
May webinar in Dutch by the CEO of Waterkaarten:

There are English videos on their channel too.