Snapshot of Market.

Bouba

Visit site
@stelican in terms of valuations - here is my opinion.

When brand new these boats went for £285k (as always specs depending)

Pre covid prices you could get a really good one for between £130 to £140k

So in today's terms bearing in mind covid has been and gone but still a little modest and fair for the price increase due to covid.

In really good condition £140-£150k
(ie nothing needed attention)

Good condition £125-£135k

Below average to average is dependant on condition / service history and so on - which if you are prepared to take it on bear in mind how much is needed to bring it up to good condition to be then worth the market value

Fairline mallorca sold a white hulled T43 with very low hrs and from what I remember was priced at £150k - sold within 2 weeks.

Again this is only my opinion.
If the really good ones are snapped up straight away…unless you have inside knowledge of a boat coming onto market…then what are you left with ?

ari

Visit site
Would have made an insulting offer but could not be bothered, told him to ring me if it did achieve the impressive asking price.
If the broker sold it to someone else, for an 'impressive price' or otherwise, why on earth would he bother ringing you to let you know? What an odd request.

jon and michie

Visit site
Went to see a Princess 420 in Hartlepool with exactly the same thing waiting at the end of the journey.
Broker did ask if would be prepared to make offer
Any offer on the asking price would have deducted the a,The Covid Premium, b, the cost of getting the boat back to some sort of presentable condition , c, the fact the previous owner had owned the boat for less than 12 months( either been stitched up big time or had bought it cheap to make profit) and d, very little previous regards servicing history.
Pre Covid 100K, Mid Covid £155 K.
Also boat was at the very limits of the known boating world, expensive to get back to civilisation either by truck or under its own keel.
Would have made an insulting offer but could not be bothered, told him to ring me if it did achieve the impressive asking price.
The broker was not happy at all, suspected that we would not be in conversation again.
A cardinal rule of boats, for those without money to burn, Buy Right to Sell Right.
Pay too much for a boat and it will come round to bite you when you sell............. and patience is virtue ?
Aware of about a dozen plus boats up for sale locally, only one possibly would meet my most boat for least money critera and its not the newest and not the most expensive.
:)
What seller's don't see is the reality of value and brokers only see commission (which in fairness is what they are there for - to sell boats)
When covid came around Joe blogs couldn't travel but could get away by buying a boat and having fun - now with the freedom back again old Joe and family want to go abroad again however they are left with a plastic tub on water costing marina fees and Joe wants all his money back.

jon and michie

Visit site
If the really good ones are snapped up straight away…unless you have inside knowledge of a boat coming onto market…then what are you left with ?
Obviously being in the right place right time is a good thing.
But what you are left with is either sensible priced boats that do sell or overpriced boats that don't.
Unfortunately Due to the brexit rules I would have brought one back by now.

jon and michie

Visit site
For those that want champagne for beer money it would be better to buy lemonade.....
yes and no - when buying a boat you want the best value for your money - when the buyer and seller have met an agreed price then both parties should feel that fairness is on both sides.
where pricing is concerned which is what @oldgit and myself have expressed is that overpriced boats will not sell quickly whereas a sensible priced boat given condition will and given that Covid has long gone the reality of Covid prices is proving our point - Too high = No Sale.

To add o that when mine Went up for sale last year - I had 2 brokers agree on a price that it went up for and it stood for months - brought it down to a more sensible figure and it sold.

And as always what every boater knows is Boats Do Depreciate - Covid was a spike because of the inconvenience of no freedom

billskip

Visit site
yes and no - when buying a boat you want the best value for your money - when the buyer and seller have met an agreed price then both parties should feel that fairness is on both sides.
where pricing is concerned which is what @oldgit and myself have expressed is that overpriced boats will not sell quickly whereas a sensible priced boat given condition will and given that Covid has long gone the reality of Covid prices is proving our point - Too high = No Sale.

To add o that when mine Went up for sale last year - I had 2 brokers agree on a price that it went up for and it stood for months - brought it down to a more sensible figure and it sold.

And as always what every boater knows is Boats Do Depreciate - Covid was a spike because of the inconvenience of no freedom
But who's right? it seems to me your argument is that others should look at the situation with your views...
If you were selling a boat and I view it and make an offer would you consider my argument that you were asking unrealistic price?
Although I understand the theory of this discussion it really is down to the owner what he asks, I see absolutely no need for either party to be critical of the others opinion or reason..
An offer is an offer not an insult, a very low offer is a person trying to get a bargain or testing the water, not an insult.
It's no good trying to justify your position of interest by seeking out reasons like Brexit or covid...

jon and michie

Visit site
But who's right? it seems to me your argument is that others should look at the situation with your views...
If you were selling a boat and I view it and make an offer would you consider my argument that you were asking unrealistic price?
Although I understand the theory of this discussion it really is down to the owner what he asks, I see absolutely no need for either party to be critical of the others opinion or reason..
An offer is an offer not an insult, a very low offer is a person trying to get a bargain or testing the water, not an insult.
It's no good trying to justify your position of interest by seeking out reasons like Brexit or covid...
I see your point - But you get what you pay for - As I said in #44 - I would have probably brought one back by now if it wasn't for the import rules because they are sensibly priced and even with the 20% import tax it may have still been lower than the asking price of the one I mentioned for sale on the south coast but in better condition.

"It's no good trying to justify your position of interest by seeking out reasons like Brexit or covid..." - Would you buy a written off as in fire damaged Lamborghini Huracan Tecnica (which retails at £203,692 new) for £200k ? - I wouldn't why ? -Because by the time you have spent trying to get it right you might as well as bought a new one.

I used brexit in one post - The main point that @oldgit was pointing out which I am in total agreeance with is the Covid prices which are not realistic.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site

So in today's terms bearing in mind covid has been and gone but still a little modest and fair for the price increase due to covid.

Below average to average is dependant on condition / service history and so on - which if you are prepared to take it on bear in mind how much is needed to bring it up to good condition to be then worth the market value

Fairline mallorca sold a white hulled T43 with very low hrs and from what I remember was priced at £150k - sold within 2 weeks.

I find your figures interesting because they don’t match my recent (Sept 2023) selling experience
I sold my 2001 S37 for 2/3rd of what I paid new.
It was in good nick though
Sealine S37 Sports Cruiser 9042356 – Burton Waters Boat Sales

jon and michie

Visit site
I find your figures interesting because they don’t match my recent (Sept 2023) selling experience
I sold my 2001 S37 for 2/3rd of what I paid new.
It was in good nick though
Sealine S37 Sports Cruiser 9042356 – Burton Waters Boat Sales
Funnily enough I was at Burton last Saturday - and there's a quite a few Sealine's there.
Did you feel you got a fair price ?
Obviously the Buyer must have or he wouldn't have bought it
And as you say it was in good condition.

My Prices as I said in my opinion is what the market was before the covid outbreak and based on what I think they are worth now based on a Fairline Targa 43 - Different manufacturers will have different values.
The T43 that I referred to that is for sale down South was up for sale last year at the same time another one "Mr Blue sky" (and was based in Torquay) which was up for £189k - 10k more - And judging by the photographs was in Mint Condition at the time of selling (which it did sell fairly quickly) with a Williams tender if my memory is correct - Now I am thinking the owner or broker of the one I am referring to may have been swayed by the asking price of Mr Blue Sky and thought it may also sell quickly.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Funnily enough I was at Burton last Saturday - and there's a quite a few Sealine's there.
Did you feel you got a fair price ?
You probably know that Burton Waters used to be a Sealine agent before the take over by Hanse so for me they were the “go to” broker. (I brought the boat back from Spain)

Really nice bunch of people there and they managed a stress free sale with no silly extreme haggling.

For an out of the way place they really shift some boats.

Alicatt

Visit site
We are off to look at a bigger boat this tomorrow, a steel hulled cruiser that we seen while passing last week, I know it has not moved from it's mooring in over a year, but only has had a for sale sticker on it recently.

As per above, I am keeping the invoices etc. and a record of what has been done to Casper since she came into our ownership, there is little paperwork apart from an invoice from the previous owner for the engine service and nothing about the boat it's self, there is dog-eared workshop manual for the engine and a hand drawn schematic for the electricity at almost resembles what is onboard :)

oldgit

Visit site
If the broker sold it to someone else, for an 'impressive price' or otherwise, why on earth would he bother ringing you to let you know? What an odd request.
The not was ommitted ,finger trouble .
If the boat did not sell, it might dawn on the seller that the price was too high, phone call , then might result in a sale when reality dawned.
It disappeared from the market and then reappeared and assumed was sold.
It was not just the water damage from leaky windows,somebody had made a really amataur attempt to sand down and revarnish some of the interior wood in the saloon, it would have been better left alone.

Momac

Visit site
To be fair here - I did my own servicing but kept a log and the Receipts of the Oil and filters etc etc in a folder with time reminders of say valve clearances to be checked, supercharger oil to be changed out etc - so there was always a paper trail.
I do the same but it doesn't really prove the work has been done. It's all a matter of trust.
I do make a note in a note book of journeys and most service work but thinking I should make a list of engine and outdrive service dates separate to my main log. I may occasionally forget to record some things like greasing of the steering and fitting new air filters at the weekend (note to self).
I have bought filters a few at a time or well in advance of need . So the invoice dates on filters can be a long way adrift from the date they were fitted on the boat.
Oil , antifoul and anodes I tend to buy as they are required .
Big file of receipts is kept on the boat.

Momac

Visit site
Boats local to me asking Covid prices not selling
Reduced to a touch over pre Covid price seems to create interest.

In a parallel world Motorhomes continue to rise in price significantly up to recently with a new £90k van last year now over £100k . Dealers have lots of stock at very high prices while they had little to offer a year ago.

oldgit

Visit site
Ask any price you want but any boat is worth exactly what somebody is prepared to give you for it.

oldgit

Visit site

Chums boat from few years ago, a Minter, paid around 150k and sold for similar money.
Bought proper boat shortly after with Flybridge.
1716295713605.jpeg