Marina Fees Comparison

skiffsailor

Visit site
I know this has probably been covered a thousand times before, and I know they're all hideously expensive, but does anyone know where I can find a comparison of marinas and their fees, for the S Coast? Is there some sort of website which lists them all? It's for a 38ft yacht.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious...

VicMallows

Visit site
I.m sure I came across a website recently which did indeed give this info, but I can't at the moment remember where. Try some googles. Unfortunately your profile doesn't give any indication where you are based. I would have thought if you were on the South Coast, you'd want to be reasonably close to the boat, and would like relevant information?

Vic

tom52

Visit site
Why would you want to compare prices ? It is not as a if you have any choice. If you find one with a berth available we are just pathetically grateful and pay up.
Thats why they are so expensive !

skiffsailor

Visit site
Sorry, I've updated my profile now. We're in Shoreham, and looking to purchase our first "big boat".

I'm quite naive to the various steps involved - think I understand the purchase process, but appreciate that one of the big things to sort out is where to keep the boat. I presumed it would be sensible to sort this out (at least in principle) before committing to a purchase, therefore wondered how you go about it.

Is it a case of trekking from Brighton to the Solent and doing a "any room at the inn?" job, or is it a case of "you can get in most places - at a price", or ...?

Appreciate that most of you have probably had a boat for years, and therefore sorted out a cosy berth somewhere years ago, but how do you start, if it's your first boat? (it's likely to be around 38ft)

Thanks for your help

PhilF

Visit site
buy a boat from someone who can get you a mooring, or its a beg and plead job. 38 foot must be around £4,500 per annum

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
When I've gone round marinas looking for a berth they have always said that they are full but might just manage to find another berth if I was seriously looking and had the cheque book in my hand.

Why not a mooring? Shop around - go round the clubs and the yards and you might find something., or someone who knows that one can be borrowed for a year or six months while you settle down. Clubs are much more amenable when they find that you are going to participate and actually use your boat and mooring.

The further your mooring is from the sea and more difficult to get to the cheaper it will be. We pay about £400 per annum for a 39 footer, and put up with being a couple of miles up river from open water.

Barry777

Visit site
Try Chichester marina as they usually have space for a 12m. If nothing at the moment I understand they are putting in some new 12m berths in the next 3/4 months. 2004 charges around £3600 for 12m.

hope this helps

peterb

Visit site
£4k for a thirty footer? Move! Shotley Marina (near Harwich) are <u>advertising</u> in the latest PBO with annual mooring fees of £265 per metre (inc VAT) with free winter storage ashore. That's about £2400 for a thirty footer.

pvb

Visit site
Are you sure about that?

In 2003, Shotley were charging £243.23 per metre inc VAT annually. This year's £265 figure means an average annual increase since 2003 of about 4.5%.

Thresher

Visit site
The RYA do a 'Marina Guide'. It lists all of the UK marina's, overnight and annual costs, number of berths, tidal access and facilities. It costs about a fiver if I remember rightly.
Good luck with whatever decisions you make.

Brendan.

yachtbits

www.yachtbits.com
Even cheaper, but even further than Harwich!

Lowestoft Haven Marina has space, I'm sure it is still £160 + vat P/M pa.
Good facilities, less than 2yrs old, not old tatt. 70t hoist and very good local Electronics People!

kev