Jackstay

Plum

Visit site
Where would be the best place to attach jackstays to and by what method. last boat I had they attached to the aluminium toe rail by D shackle next boat has a hardwood toe rail so none starter there.
depends on where the existing strong points are or where you can add some, but in my opinion, they should be as close the the centreline as possible, not on the side-deck. Mine are on the coach roof and start alongside the companionway hatch.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
A similar issue. I bought Wichard U bolts, fitted them to the side deck and attached the jackstays.

I plan to move the Wichards to the coach roof and make the jackstays more centre line. Side deck jackstays have significant risks if you go overboard.

Maybe look at something more centre line.

dunedin

Visit site
Do the centreline attachment enthusiasts not have sprayhoods fitted? There is zero chance of reaching round our sprayhood to clip on before leaving cockpit (essential). Hence our jackstays are attached at the back to spinnaker block attachment points. Always go along high side.
If on rare occasion need to access lee side deck, go to mast and reclip from there (using the three hook tethers) - or more likely briefly heave to and make the high side, then back to cockpit and gybe out to continue on.

johnalison

Visit site
My rigging, sprayhood and deck layout make a centreline jackstay virtually impossible. I have a wooden cap over the shallow bulwarks but have found that there is a useful strongpoint on the pulpit and aft where there is a strong loop for a spinnaker block that is not used. I think that the answer is going to be different for each boat. In the absence of any obvious points it may be necessary to fix suitably strong rings or hoops.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It’s not beyond the wit of people to design work arounds. In my case there will be short jackstays go around the cockpit coaming. 3 x clip harness tethers are required.

The only restriction is a lack of imagination.

jamie N

Visit site
I've a sprayhood, and I've jackstays. Both sides of the jackstays run close to the centre line of the boat. I sail with the sprayhood down so the jackstays are above it in its laid down position; the boat's got a low boom, so it's what it is. I never leave the cockpit without being clipped on, and from one position can go to either side, and be sure that I won't go over the side as long as I'm clipped on. With these things down the outside of the stays, running along the edge of the boat, if one falls over, you'll be in the water, being towed along and trying to think "Why didn't I make it so that I can't fall into the water?".
My sprayhood is only deployed in harbour, as it's part of the cockpit tent, which isn't going to be acceptable for many, I mean going sailing and getting wet, but as RunAgroundHard states in #6 it might require a bit of effort, where one should think of the priority and figure it out as it's not tricky.

Pye_End

Visit site
Permanently rig (at least at sea) a harness safety line over the sprayhood and onto the (coachroof) jackstay. If you are in the cockpit, then use a different safety line onto whatever is normal, but when you go forward, change safety line to the one clipped onto the coachrood/centreline jackstay.

If this safety line is still a bit long, take another one up with you which is shorter, or has 2 attachment points.

Stemar

Visit site
On Jissel, there a centre stay wasn't an option, and there was nowhere to attach the aft end, so I fitted a U bolt through the deck with a suitable backing plate, though I reckon that any tug hard enough to pull the bolt through the deck would have left me entirely uninterested in subsequent events. The bolt obviously needed to be well sealed, Forward, both were attached to a wire strop shackled to the stem fitting.

cpedw

Visit site
I use wide jaw D shackles on the pulpit and pushpit bases. (And keep to the high side and routinely use the short tether.)

Refueler

Visit site
You can Y or V jackstays along centreline if you have sprayhood. Basically a single point fixing at base of mast ... leads aft in either one JS or a pair ...

If its one - then aft it connects to a another transverse stay fixed either side of sprayhood creating a Y.

If its two stays running aft - they create a V - each fixed to either side of sprayhood.

Foredeck of course is single from mast to pulpit ... unrigged in port to allow forehatch to open ..

dunedin

Visit site
You can Y or V jackstays along centreline if you have sprayhood. Basically a single point fixing at base of mast ... leads aft in either one JS or a pair ...

……
Don’t think that would work on our boat - and many. Essential to be able to clip on before leaving cockpit, so need rear connection point for jackstay on side deck near pushpit. Then would need to go forward and slightly outwards for 2-3m - which works if connected at pulpit and passing outside stays, but would need to be extremely loose if it were to curve back towards the mast in the next 3m or so.
Probably works in smaller / narrower boats and with small (or non existent) sprayhoods, but not as get bigger With a wide sprayhood.
But never had concern about using along windward side deck.

Refueler

Visit site
Don’t think that would work on our boat - and many. Essential to be able to clip on before leaving cockpit, so need rear connection point for jackstay on side deck near pushpit. Then would need to go forward and slightly outwards for 2-3m - which works if connected at pulpit and passing outside stays, but would need to be extremely loose if it were to curve back towards the mast in the next 3m or so.
Probably works in smaller / narrower boats and with small (or non existent) sprayhoods, but not as get bigger With a wide sprayhood.
But never had concern about using along windward side deck.
I've seen on large boats ... most had more than one point in cockpit .. ie aft and one each side fwd ... the stays came back either side of hood and a dual hook line was able to clip on before unclipping from cockpit ...

People also forget that a jackstay does not need to be absolute straight lead .. there's nothing stopping it curving down / around a structure ... especially if its only rigged when off-berth.

I would do all possible to avoid a toe-rail version ... the idea is for jackstay - not to tow you alongside - but to prevent you falling in !!

Visit site
I would not completely write off the concept of a webbing jackstay running along the deck. As Dunedin pointed out, if you go forward on the windward side of the boat then the jackstay on the deck provides maximum protection on the assumption that you will not be swept off into the wind and waves. My sails are all hanked on, so I spend a lot of time on the foredeck putting in reefs etc but I don't think I have ever attempted to go forward on the lee side of the boat. The concept of clipping on and off with multiple tethers has no appeal whatsoever. I think it is best to clip on once from the cockpit and go forward with both hands free. One for the boat etc. I'm not saying my method would suit all boats, but it certainly suits my Vertue and probably many other small boats.

BabaYaga

Visit site
My boat has a spray hood, which is most often up while sailing, and I reef the main by the mast, so I frequently move between the cockpit and mast foot.
The jackstay (line actually) goes from just outside of the cockpit coaming, attached to the sheet winch support, around the mast and then back the other side, forming a V with only two points of attachment. The jack line is fairly tight, but loose enough to be able to rise half a metre or so on the forward face of the mast.
The tether is kept very short (actually taken around the jack line and back to the harness). When I leave the cockpit to go forwards, I cannot stand straight because of the short tether, so have to crawl a bit. But when I get further forwards towards the mast, I can stand on the coach roof taking the reef because the jack line is allowed to rise along the mast.
If I would like to return to the cockpit along the leeward side, I can do so without touching the tether.
While not perfect, I think this system works fairly well on my boat. The jack line is the dark blue one in this photo:
IMG_2959.jpeg

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Another option, fit an attachment point on the deck, halfway between cockpit and mast, central position, then run a fixed tether to one side of the cockpit, you attach your harness directly to this tether when going to the mast. Just take a quick couple of measurements to see if it would make sense on your boat.

Refueler

Visit site
I would not completely write off the concept of a webbing jackstay running along the deck. As Dunedin pointed out, if you go forward on the windward side of the boat then the jackstay on the deck provides maximum protection on the assumption that you will not be swept off into the wind and waves. My sails are all hanked on, so I spend a lot of time on the foredeck putting in reefs etc but I don't think I have ever attempted to go forward on the lee side of the boat. The concept of clipping on and off with multiple tethers has no appeal whatsoever. I think it is best to clip on once from the cockpit and go forward with both hands free. One for the boat etc. I'm not saying my method would suit all boats, but it certainly suits my Vertue and probably many other small boats.

Fair comment - but one wave rolling that boat and whether windward or not - you can be over ...

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I'm not sure I have ever heard a case of someone falling off to windward (up hill). Has anyone such a report they could post?

The other thing that is very rare is a person falling over while moving along the boat. Every case I know the person was either working and not holding on, or in the cockpit. When you are moving you are focused and holding on. It is the work stations you need to worry about. US Sailing published a report that reached this conclusion (the author, I recall, was Evan Starzinger).

Two exceptions. Off the stern and off the very tip of bow. Then clip short once you get there, even doubling the short tether if need be (I've done that when working on the furler--very secure). The pulpit will always be precarious when the boat is plying submarine.

Visit site
Fair comment - but one wave rolling that boat and whether windward or not - you can be over ...
A suppose that is possible, but I'm happy to take that rare risk in preference to fumbling around with multiple clips. To me it would be like clipping on to every rung whilst climbing a ladder, it might help to save you from a fall but it could equally be the cause?