First boat, never sailed and needing advice please

Myrddin

Visit site
Get a decent DSC Radio so you can get assistance of all turns out bad. I guess you have no large inboard generation, but a suitable handheld will do - gives you GPS position to help your navigation and if you should ever hit mayday button it tells CG where you are. I like the Standard Horizon one which is currently about £200 on ofoffer
Thanks for the advice,

Already a dsc on board, fitted and working.
Currently not a great battery, but that's part of the upgrade to come along with re wiring and fitting solar panels for charging.
Have a chartplotter ready, and lots of other whizz bangs and gizmos. Plan to modernise as much as I can without ruining the traditional look.

Myrddin

Visit site
Hull is definitely a Caprice. Mk I and Mk II were plywood, Mk I with s smaller coachroof and all later versions looked more or less like yours with a stepped coachroof. Mk III to Mk V were GRP. I had a plywood 'Mk 1.5' - a Mk I hull and deck with Mk II keels. Your rudder is all wrong, whichever model it is.
Hull is GRP. According to Antony Tucker at Tucker designs, she is 1976 mkIII.

scozzy

Visit site
Thanks for the advice,

Already a dsc on board, fitted and working.
Currently not a great battery, but that's part of the upgrade to come along with re wiring and fitting solar panels for charging.
Have a chartplotter ready, and lots of other whizz bangs and gizmos. Plan to modernise as much as I can without ruining the traditional look.
I always have a handheld on a lanyard clipped on my life jacket,something to consider and something i personally dont go out in to the big blue without...the best radio in the world is worth nothing if its on board sailing away from you at 4 knts while you are floating about wondering how the hell you ended up in the drink!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I always have a handheld on a lanyard clipped on my life jacket,something to consider and something i personally dont go out in to the big blue without...the best radio in the world is worth nothing if its on board sailing away from you at 4 knts while you are floating about wondering how the hell you ended up in the drink!
I have a PLB and supposedly water proof phone - not that I quite trust its proofing - and as often rowing to boat on big fast estuary usually have handheld with me in dinghy. Several club members have needed to be rescued after oars breaking, outboards failing plus misjudging the current