Cockpit seating on the move

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Cushions slide about when sailing, the cushions you tie to the guard rail are a partial solution and velcro fixed cushions are a bit hit and miss. If you have a boat that heels easily the problem is magnified . I seem to remember Musto coming out with trousers where you could slide in a foam insert for your bottom but didn't seem to catch on.

Any thoughts and ideas that might work ?

My best solution for me so far is when I fixed EVA Foam to the cockpit seats. Definitely more comfortable than nothing . It's has lasted four years but will probably need renewing next year.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
My Cockpit seat covers were made with flaps around the edge and attach to the seats with turn buttons fixing the seat covers to the seat and back rests of the side and stern seats

KevinV

Visit site
Cushions slide about when sailing, the cushions you tie to the guard rail are a partial solution and velcro fixed cushions are a bit hit and miss. If you have a boat that heels easily the problem is magnified . I seem to remember Musto coming out with trousers where you could slide in a foam insert for your bottom but didn't seem to catch on.

Any thoughts and ideas that might work ?

My best solution for me so far is when I fixed EVA Foam to the cockpit seats. Definitely more comfortable than nothing . It's has lasted four years but will probably need renewing next year.
I have EVA foam on mine, which is great, except that I tend to sit on the coaming when heeled.

I had a pair of the shorts years ago, they were great for those of us lacking in the buttock department - when dry. When wet however they tended to exacerbate yot-bot rather than alleviate it (and you looked like you were wearing a nappy)

johnalison

Visit site
We have a couple of those expensive blue cushions with shaped backs. They don’t give much padding below but I appreciate the lumbar support and they bring me a bit close to the tiller. I have put short lines with a plastic clip to attach to the lifelines to keep them in place. Basic cushions for guests.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I have same problem, cushions over teak grating on the seats. The grating is loose but secured in place with stops (blocks of wood) screwed to the GRP that grating fits over.

My cushion solution is to slide a sail tie under the grating, one each end of the cushion and secure to the grating.

I have Velcro on the backrest cushions in the saloon and that works well to keep them in place. The saloon seats have a lip on the edge, which retains the cushions, perhaps a lip would work in your cockpit.

If you can’t get sail ties under, I would try sticky backed hook and loop first, just a few squares strategically placed.

Good luck with your choice.