Im clueless: Looking for a nice bowrider- Mar Menor.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Hi guys.
Well there's nothing like a woman changing her mind is there? Circumstances have changed somewhat , im in the throws of purchasing a lovely apartment in Murcia Spain, to escape to now and then from the horrible weather here in the UK. So my needs have changed for a boat considerably. I really like the idea of having a Bowrider - type of boat, and I really do like the Bayliner Element Range. I would be looking to keep it in the Mar Menor somewhere .Ive looked for boats for sale in Spain, and there really isnt many at all that meet my needs. Ive so many questions to ask.....Do I buy it here in the UK? How would I get it to Spain? The mooring costs are considerably cheaper in Spain ive heard, does anyone recommend any marinas within Mar Menor? My apartment is in a village in Sucina. And what about the Spanish License, what do I need to do, to get registered and have a license to drive a boat. I currently have my Power Boat 1 and 2 RYA Practical and my VHF also. Would appreciate all the help you can give. Thankyou. Karen.

kashurst

Visit site
Your closest marina is probably at Lo Pagan or Los Alcazares. However popular spots so probably full. Worth asking though.
I would think you would get a place at Thomas Maestre as it is huge - just a bit of a drive all the way around though. Easy to buy in Spain - and with brexit looming if you buy in UK this year and move to Spain next year you may well end up having to pay VAT again. License wise you need an ICC and a VHF radio license, boat insurance, boat registration (SSR is fine) and your passport. The ICC you can do in the UK or in Spain - you may be able to get one from the RYA as you already have Power boat level 2.
Have you considered a RIB? They would be much better out at sea if you decide to go further up/down the coast and keeping it on a trailer when you are away would save on maintenance etc.
May be consider something with a small cabin just in case you decide to stay over after a few beers. Saying that I have slept on the roof in Lo Pagan once or twice :) - I don't recommend it. The sun comes up early in the summer.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Your closest marina is probably at Lo Pagan or Los Alcazares. However popular spots so probably full. Worth asking though.
I would think you would get a place at Thomas Maestre as it is huge - just a bit of a drive all the way around though. Easy to buy in Spain - and with brexit looming if you buy in UK this year and move to Spain next year you may well end up having to pay VAT again. License wise you need an ICC and a VHF radio license, boat insurance, boat registration (SSR is fine) and your passport. The ICC you can do in the UK or in Spain - you may be able to get one from the RYA as you already have Power boat level 2.
Have you considered a RIB? They would be much better out at sea if you decide to go further up/down the coast and keeping it on a trailer when you are away would save on maintenance etc.
May be consider something with a small cabin just in case you decide to stay over after a few beers. Saying that I have slept on the roof in Lo Pagan once or twice :) - I don't recommend it. The sun comes up early in the summer.
thankyou kashers, ive spoken to a chap who has his boat in Lo Pagan also.

Coustea1

Visit site
I'm further south (Estepona) and have a 28ft bowrider. I bought her in Spain which made registration etc easy. I have my ICC. The sea can kick up quite a fuss in the afternoon, so the idea of a RIB is not a bad one. Most marinas have both petrol and diesel. When thinking about a marina, have a look into the services that are on site. If you can have your engine serviced in your home marina, then that's definitely a plus.

kashurst

Visit site
ive been told the Mar Menor is full of them ! Where else could I go ?
don't panic -the mar menor has had a developing pollution problem over the last 30 years as agriculture and tourism has grown. About three years ago the Spanish government came down with a bunch of scientists for a serious arse kicking competition with the local authorities (surface drains etc) farmers- putting fertilizer into streams and surface drains and a few companies who got fined a lot. The fertilizer etc encourages an algea and the jellies love it. So over the past few years there has been a lots in July/August.
Fortunately it seems the scientists et al are getting the upper hand - last summer in August there were very few. We and a lot of others were swimming etc quite happily. Also the particular variety (brown ones) don't sting humans so harmless just off putting.
I believe according to other posts on here last year, the jellies all went on their holidays last year to Mallorca :p

Also if you go out of the mar menor into the med proper, via the channel at Thomas Maestre, there are two islands @ 1/2 mile out with free buoys and anchorage and often very clear water for swimming etc. The SW side tends to be pretty flat as it is sheltered from the wind in the afternoons. In the morning in summer that area is often very flat and you need to go early if you want a buoy. The fish are very tame and gather around the back of your boat as soon as the engines are off wanting food! (mostly various types of bream)
Jellies are mostly pretty rare but you do get the occaisional small white ones and they do sting a bit if you bump into one. (I have been stung once in 20 years)

With a good bowrider style boat as long as it has good deck drainage you should have no problem going up/down the coast as long as you watch the wind. In the afternoons in July/August from @ 3pm there is nearly always a sea breeze from the N/E.
So if you went for lunch somewhere, go early and don't leave it too late to return and you should be fine. Just remember travelling with the waves is a lot easier than going against them - especially in a small boat. If you want any more detail etc send me a PM.

Also make sure any boat you look at can have or already has a bimini cover to put up at anchor/moored, other wise you will cook!

ARE

Visit site
49899016947_35397bf5fb_m.jpg
49898192578_b2d144232e_m.jpg

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
don't panic -the mar menor has had a developing pollution problem over the last 30 years as agriculture and tourism has grown. About three years ago the Spanish government came down with a bunch of scientists for a serious arse kicking competition with the local authorities (surface drains etc) farmers- putting fertilizer into streams and surface drains and a few companies who got fined a lot. The fertilizer etc encourages an algea and the jellies love it. So over the past few years there has been a lots in July/August.
Fortunately it seems the scientists et al are getting the upper hand - last summer in August there were very few. We and a lot of others were swimming etc quite happily. Also the particular variety (brown ones) don't sting humans so harmless just off putting.
I believe according to other posts on here last year, the jellies all went on their holidays last year to Mallorca :p

Also if you go out of the mar menor into the med proper, via the channel at Thomas Maestre, there are two islands @ 1/2 mile out with free buoys and anchorage and often very clear water for swimming etc. The SW side tends to be pretty flat as it is sheltered from the wind in the afternoons. In the morning in summer that area is often very flat and you need to go early if you want a buoy. The fish are very tame and gather around the back of your boat as soon as the engines are off wanting food! (mostly various types of bream)
Jellies are mostly pretty rare but you do get the occaisional small white ones and they do sting a bit if you bump into one. (I have been stung once in 20 years)

With a good bowrider style boat as long as it has good deck drainage you should have no problem going up/down the coast as long as you watch the wind. In the afternoons in July/August from @ 3pm there is nearly always a sea breeze from the N/E.
So if you went for lunch somewhere, go early and don't leave it too late to return and you should be fine. Just remember travelling with the waves is a lot easier than going against them - especially in a small boat. If you want any more detail etc send me a PM.

Also make sure any boat you look at can have or already has a bimini cover to put up at anchor/moored, other wise you will cook!
thank you so much, that's really kind of, I will private message you, thanks

LAMBADA

Visit site
Give us a budget and I’m sure we can help. Some good seakeeping bowriders out there. If they are within budget check out any of the Cobalt range.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
I'm further south (Estepona) and have a 28ft bowrider. I bought her in Spain which made registration etc easy. I have my ICC. The sea can kick up quite a fuss in the afternoon, so the idea of a RIB is not a bad one. Most marinas have both petrol and diesel. When thinking about a marina, have a look into the services that are on site. If you can have your engine serviced in your home marina, then that's definitely a plus.
thanks that's really helpful, do you keep it in a marina all the time.im looking for something a lot smaller 6 metres will be enough for what I need

LAMBADA

Visit site
If you’re looking for a 6m boat with a £20k budget then there are plenty of choices. Personally I would be looking for a slightly older but higher quality boat. I’d be looking at Cobalt, older Formula, Baja, Regal, Sea Ray etc but if you want newer there are plenty of other choices. Have you considered centre console walkaround style boats? (Jeanneau, White Shark etc.)? Agree RIBs would be another option.

Ratkins

Visit site
We are just north off mar menor torrevieja, Cabo roig is around €1800 for 8 meters and about 20mins from mar menor couple of nice marina just outside circa 10 mins
boat wise we brought our 275 Monterey out to spain on trailer (by others) for £700 so you can buy here and transport as the size is well within limits

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
We are just north off mar menor torrevieja, Cabo roig is around €1800 for 8 meters and about 20mins from mar menor couple of nice marina just outside circa 10 mins
boat wise we brought our 275 Monterey out to spain on trailer (by others) for £700 so you can buy here and transport as the size is well within limits
I viisted Cabo Roig the last time I was out, do you have a link to the marina please .I would consider towing it to Spain, ive got a Ford Ranger wildtrak which would do the job.