Quicksilver 905 WE annual service

Nigel52

Visit site
Just had the bill in for servicing my QS905 WE with a Mercruiser MD3.0L 270HP DTS Bravo engine and Bravo 3 outdrive. a 71% rise from last year which I am contesting. A couple of questions please:

1. How often should the impellor be changed?

2. 2. Impellor part number 47-8M0056956 which they have charged me £120.20 plus VAT which when google searching seems right but incredibly high to other impellors I have fitted in the past - comments please.

3. £113 for a fuel filter

4. Prop nut 11-8M0105210 £92.94 plus VAT.

5. How many litres of Quicksilver 5w30 Tdi engine oil should I expect? Been charged £122 plus VAT.

6. Labour on the engine service £350 plus VAT.

7. Labour on the outdrive service £225 plus VAT.

No bellows changed just Hi-Pro gear oil on the outdrive. Engine Raor fuel filter, oil, anode, fuel filter, oil filter and impeller.

Total charge £1,518.67 when last year including supplying and changing all the anodes (which this year i did myself to save costs) was £888 hence 71% rise. The boat is in its 3rd year so have had to use this Mercuiser dealer to maintain warranty but this crazy. Also when outdrive serviced the speedo pipe left hanging and luckily I noticed one of the 6 nuts holding the leg on was missing.

Btw: boat based in Poole. What do others think; am I being taken advatage of as I must use dealer for my warranty.

Hot Property

Visit site
Just had the bill in for servicing my QS905 WE with a Mercruiser MD3.0L 270HP DTS Bravo engine and Bravo 3 outdrive. a 71% rise from last year which I am contesting. A couple of questions please:

1. How often should the impellor be changed?

2. 2. Impellor part number 47-8M0056956 which they have charged me £120.20 plus VAT which when google searching seems right but incredibly high to other impellors I have fitted in the past - comments please.

3. £113 for a fuel filter

4. Prop nut 11-8M0105210 £92.94 plus VAT.

5. How many litres of Quicksilver 5w30 Tdi engine oil should I expect? Been charged £122 plus VAT.

6. Labour on the engine service £350 plus VAT.

7. Labour on the outdrive service £225 plus VAT.

No bellows changed just Hi-Pro gear oil on the outdrive. Engine Raor fuel filter, oil, anode, fuel filter, oil filter and impeller.

Total charge £1,518.67 when last year including supplying and changing all the anodes (which this year i did myself to save costs) was £888 hence 71% rise. The boat is in its 3rd year so have had to use this Mercuiser dealer to maintain warranty but this crazy. Also when outdrive serviced the speedo pipe left hanging and luckily I noticed one of the 6 nuts holding the leg on was missing.

Btw: boat based in Poole. What do others think; am I being taken advatage of as I must use dealer for my warranty.

I guess one question is, what's the warranty worth?

You will always pay through the nose for dealer servicing.

I bought a new honda 100 outboard and do all the servicing myself, as long as I use genuine parts then honda are happy.

Having an onboard with stern drive is like having 2 engines to maintain which is why many new boats are outboard powered.

Why don't you do your own servicing and put any savings in a pot in case of a failure in the future?

If the failure doesn't happen you are quids in!

Nigel52

Visit site
I guess one question is, what's the warranty worth?

You will always pay through the nose for dealer servicing.

I bought a new honda 100 outboard and do all the servicing myself, as long as I use genuine parts then honda are happy.

Having an onboard with stern drive is like having 2 engines to maintain which is why many new boats are outboard powered.

Why don't you do your own servicing and put any savings in a pot in case of a failure in the future?

If the failure doesn't happen you are quids in!
I certainly dont disagree that outdrives are two pieces of machinery to maintain and personally never understood why they are so popular compared to shaft driven. I came from a backgrwound of sailboats shaft driven and an outboard powered dayboat. I wish I had not bought an outdrive boat; but I am here now. Re. own maintenance previously on sailboats I have done all my own maintenance however, like modern cars so much is computer checked as well as the basic service items. Also a total knee replacement makes kneeling in a cramped engine compartment very difficult.

Hot Property

Visit site
I certainly dont disagree that outdrives are two pieces of machinery to maintain and personally never understood why they are so popular compared to shaft driven. I came from a backgrwound of sailboats shaft driven and an outboard powered dayboat. I wish I had not bought an outdrive boat; but I am here now. Re. own maintenance previously on sailboats I have done all my own maintenance however, like modern cars so much is computer checked as well as the basic service items. Also a total knee replacement makes kneeling in a cramped engine compartment very difficult.

Hot Property

Visit site
Ah ok that makes it more difficult to maintain.

Would it be worth considering selling you current boat?

If you are going to be stung for £2k annual engine maintenance then taking a hit now may pay off? Depends on how long you planwto keep her I guess?

My profile photo shows the Saver 690 I had with 200 Verado.

Just annual oil/filters and 1 impeller over 4 years ownership.