Covid UK Prices

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi -First off this is just an Observation and my Opinion whether right or wrong for a debate.

When Covid and Lockdown started the prices of Boats went up due to not being able to travel abroad for Holidays etc
What I have noticed that in the UK and Netherlands the prices of certain boats is still at the top end yet countries like France and Spain mainly Mallorca the price of boats seem to have come back to a more real figure before Covid broke out.

My Perfect Example of this hence why I am posting this is the Fairline Targa 43 Built from 97 to 2005 some owners in the UK are asking 180k for an average ish condition model where in Mallorca you can get a good model for 130k this is before any negotiation and was around this price mark before Covid - So in reality you could get a boat from abroad - Pay the UK import tax if not already paid - and end up with a better model that is way overpriced and still have a a few quid left over.

Let the Debate Commence.

Jon

PS Edited For @Clancy Moped lol

Last edited:

jon and michie

Visit site
Targa 43 is a lovely boat
It Certainly is - I sold my Boat Last December and want to upgrade to bigger but with Shafts and not the Devil's Fans - But what I'm not Prepared to do is just Jump in - There are some good examples about - Fairline made 296 of them.
I was Speaking to a Broker about one on the South Coast last Week where the Owner was seeking to see his Marine Engineer for the Service History? at that Point I said I'm not Interested - if the owner Didn't keep receipts then that speaks Volumes to me as to the Boats upkeep.
Jon

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Know of probably 10 + UK boats for sale all of certain vintage.
One or two actually up for sale and on the market. a few " might" be up for sale if its still floating the next time they bother to come down to to check the boat.
None priced to sell....mostly mature owners who have survived Covid both physically and financially and appear still to be using Covid prices as a guide to boat value and probably will only sell if they get what they think its worth. Not a few getting out completely so no urgent need to sell to fund new boat.

"Mallorca you can get a good model for 130k this is before any negotiation"

But by the time you add 3 o 4 flights and accomodation to check out the goods, fun the 1st time but losses its magic on subsequent trips. ?
Add the 20% TBCT * and the 10 K to get it back to civilisation.

*Taking Back Control Tax. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

jon and michie

Visit site
Know of probably 10 + UK boats for sale all of certain vintage.
One or two actually up for sale and on the market. a few " might" be up for sale if its still floating the next time they bother to come down to to check the boat.
None priced to sell....mostly mature owners who have survived Covid both physically and financially and appear still to be using Covid prices as a guide to boat value and probably will only sell if they get what they think its worth. Not a few getting out completely so no urgent need to sell to fund new boat.

"Mallorca you can get a good model for 130k this is before any negotiation"

But by the time you add 3 o 4 flights and accomodation to check out the goods, fun the 1st time but losses its magic on subsequent trips. ?
Add the 20% TBCT * and the 10 K to get it back to civilisation.

*Taking Back Control Tax. :ROFLMAO:
Totally agree hence why I said on my first post you could actually get a better condition boat and after all the costs - Come out better than buying in the UK

Momac

Visit site
The impression I get from observation local to me (in the UK) is that used boat prices achieved are returning to near pre Covid levels.

jrudge

Visit site
With a 25 year old boat no 2 craft are ever the same. In very general terms I would say the Med boat is likely to be in a worse state due to the harsh environment and cost / limited access to decent maintenance.
I can assure you there is no issue at all with access to decent maintainence in Mallorca ! What on earth would give you that idea ?

jon and michie

Visit site
With a 25 year old boat no 2 craft are ever the same. In very general terms I would say the Med boat is likely to be in a worse state due to the harsh environment and cost / limited access to decent maintenance.
Yes you are correct look at post #4 where the boat in the UK that I enquired about the owner doesn't keep service history - I enquired about one in Mallorca a while back and the broker within a few hours emailled the history and the vat paperwork.

st599

Visit site
My Perfect Example of this hence why I am posting this is the Fairline Targa 43 Built from 97 to 2005 some owners in the UK are asking 180k for an average ish condition model where in Mallorca you can get a good model for 130k this is before any negotiation and was around this price mark before Covid - So in reality you could get a boat from abroad - Pay the UK import tax if not already paid - and end up with a better model that is way overpriced and still have a a few quid left over.
How are you going to get a 20 year old boat to meet the UK RCR regulations for import?

The boat has to meet the standard in force on the day of import, not those when it was certified on build day.

The inability to import is keeping the UK market high.

oldgit

Visit site
I did wonder the same thing , funny thing to say.
Boat kept in UK marina is more likely to be inspected on regular basis by its owner, if only to sit on it and to note stuff that needs doing.
Ensuring work is done by telephone can be a challenge when the boat is lying a day away by air.

Chum had a Targa 37 in Nice, wanted to have a hole drilled into the hull for an additional A/C unit.
Last time he was down, yard assured him that boat would be lifted both hole and valve would be done pronto. Senor .
Phone call a week later to tell them he would be flying down to arrange fitting of actual A/C unit , discovered that boat was still in water but that job would done before he arrived.
The skipper and muggins fly down that weekend expecting to have relaxing weekend eating/drinking and perhaps even boating, arrive to find the boat has not been touched.
All Saturday is spent making sure the boat is actually lifted with the promise that the valve will be fitted immediatly after lift and boat will be put back in water the same day.
Spend night on boat on the hard and fly home from a still holeless boat the following day.
The bogs of course were miles away from the yard and circa 2.00am this an inconvenience to say the least. :)
Total water action was a swim on nearbye beach while trying to avoid the jellyfish.

Last edited:

Moonstruck

Visit site
Boat kept in UK marina is more likely to be inspected on regular basis by its owner, if only to sit on it and to note stuff that needs doing.
Ensuring work is done by telephone can be a challenge when the boat is lying a day away by air.

Chum had a Targa 37 in Nice, wanted to have a hole drilled into the hull for an additional A/C unit.
Last time he was down, yard assured him that boat would be lifted both hole and valve would be done pronto. Senor .
Phone call a week later to tell them he would be flying down to arrange fitting of actual A/C unit , discovered that boat was still in water but that job would done before he arrived.
The skipper and muggins fly down that weekend expecting to have relaxing weekend eating/drinking and perhaps even boating, arrive to find the boat has not been touched.
All Saturday is spent making sure the boat is actually lifted with the promise that the valve will be fitted immediatly after lift and boat will be put back in water the same day.
Spend night on boat on the hard and fly home from a still holeless boat the following day.
The bogs of course were miles away from the yard and circa 2.00am this an inconvenience to say the least. :)
Total water action was a swim on nearbye beach while trying to avoid the jellyfish.
Sounds like your friend needs to find a new engineer or yard. The marina we are in is incredibly efficient. Plenty of good engineers around as well although just like the UK there are some to avoid.

st599

Visit site

benjenbav

Visit site
Seems to me that the £130k boat in Mallorca will have cost the new UK owner £180k by the time it’s in UK. That is to say, including import duties, transport and visits to Mallorca to look/negotiate. (Excluding surveys and engineering inspections which will be broadly similar wherever the boat is sourced.)

I guess this just means - if the OP’s theory of relative pricing is correct - that, when searching from the UK, Med-based boats shouldn’t automatically be ruled out.

Perhaps it also might lead one to question whether it would be more enjoyable to keep a boat that’s currently there, in the Med. Obviously there would be challenges to be overcome, but different ones from dodging the UK weather.

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
Seems to me that the £130k boat in Mallorca will have cost the new UK owner £180k by the time it’s in UK. That is to say, including import duties, transport and visits to Mallorca to look/negotiate. (Excluding surveys and engineering inspections which will be broadly similar wherever the boat is sourced.)

I guess this just means - if the OP’s theory of relative pricing is correct - that, when searching from the UK, Med-based boats shouldn’t automatically be ruled out.

Perhaps it also might lead one to question whether it would be more enjoyable to keep a boat that’s currently there, in the Med. Obviously there would be challenges to be overcome, but different ones from dodging the UK weather.
That seems a bit of a low estimate, a boat from the turn of the millennium will probably need new engines to meet the emissions regulations in RCR.

benjenbav

Visit site
That seems a bit of a low estimate, a boat from the turn of the millennium will probably need new engines to meet the emissions regulations in RCR.
Well that would blow the whole thing out of the water!

However, I’d be grateful to be pointed to where the regulations state that a privately imported (from EU to UK) boat that is already CE marked needs to be certified as compliant with a later version of CE.

I can find the need for current CE compliance on a private import from EU to UK where a boat has never been CE marked - and that seems to be the thrust of the PBO article cited - but not where the boat has already been CE marked by the manufacturer when first sold under an earlier CE regime.

I’m not trying to be clever about this; I genuinely can’t find the requirement.

Last edited: