Head Linings

TheBrumNavy

Visit site
Ok you lot, thinking hats on. I have a problem with a Beneateau 345 where all of the headlinings are dropping down. Does anybody have any good solutions, note selling the boat is not one of them

petery

Visit site
I have just replaced the headlinings on my Vancouver 27. I ignored the advice on the adhesive can that I should remove all traces of the old contact adhesive before refitting... and after only two weeks, the new lining is coming away. On the areas where I cut new plywood and bonded it as instructed, its fine. I used standard contact adhesive on the GRP/wood and spray on for the foam-backed headlining.

You can get some very thin 1.5mm birch plywood and stick the new headling on that and then screw to the coachroof onto small wooden pads; hiding the screw heads with white caps.

jfkal

Visit site
Simple. Go to a car upholsery shop and request the liner stuff they use for Mecedes Benz Cars. Clean old traces of glue and foam from the target surface. Use the old stuff as template to cut the new material. Glue it on and have fun.

oldharry

Visit site
Re: Head Lining glues - a warning

If there is a choice, use a solvent free glue. Solvent based glues in the confines of a cabin can, and have been, lethal. Standard contact adhesives use extremely potent solvents which even if you survive may lead to long term health problems (damage to liver, kidneys etc).

If you have to use solvent based glues, hire a suitable respirator from your local Hire shop.

Like Carbon Monoxide, by the time you realise you have a problem with solvents, its too late to help yourself. One of the most common brands, Thixofix, for example, uses a solvent that is anaesthetic based, and unless you get out into fresh air BEFORE you start feeling numb - you will not make it, unless there is someone else around to drag you out.

A: Use a suitable respirator.

B: NEVER work alone.

C: If there is a choice, use a solvent free adhesive.

COG

Visit site
Hi - I have just replaced the headlinings on my Elysian 27 - I replaced the ply using the old “soggy” stuff as a template then covering with Head Lining from Jeckells & Sons Ltd Quality Trimmers (01603) 784488 - they supplied the contact adhesive and the plastic screw head covery things - they do mail order
I did most of the ply covering at home ( in a well ventilated area ) but left the edges unstuck so final adjustments to the ply shape could be made. Once the lining fitted when offered up I just had to glue the cloth over the edges on the boat then screw back in place.
Hope this helps

charles_reed

Visit site
You don't mention whether your headlining is direct onto GRP or over headlining boards attached to the deckhead.

If the former, you'll find NO contact adhesive which will attach to un-gelcoated GRP for any length of time.

After many attempts to rectify the problem my headlining is now on contact-stuck to 2mm marine-ply backing - do that in a very well-ventlated place.
The boards are then screwed into position using 4mm plywood pads epoxied to the inside of the deckhead. The pad area needs to be well prepared using abrasive paper.
To keep the pads in position, whilst the epoxy sets I use short self-tappers, into the deckhead, subsequently removed and the holes filled.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
If you had problems with contact adhesive on un-gelcoated GRP, then you must have been using the wrong adhesive or had contamination eg oil on your GRP. I have used Thixotropic adhesive many times with no lack of adhesion. The only problem has been removing it when I wish to change the decor.

jfkal

Visit site
Yellow pages. I am in Singapore and my local contacts will not be of much help I guess. However if you send me your address I would not mind to let you have a sample of the stuff I am using as a reference.

hutch

Visit site
Have you considered formica. I have been replacing the headlining on my boat by gluing formica onto the old plywood backing - don't have to worry about doing a perfect job of removing all the old glue! Early attempts to replace the lining with new material left a very unsightly mess. Also I don't like the foam backed stuff. The foam breaks down very quickly - my boat is in Thailand!

Formica is easy to apply, to clean, looks good, etc.

jfkal

Visit site
Hmm yes. In fact mine is a mixture. Ceiling formica and the sides that Mercedes Car Stuff. Some areas are too curved for formica since it is to brittle to be bend to hard. But otherwise good stuff.