Perkins woes

38mess

Visit site
My Perkins M30 has developed a problem. It runs ok out of gear, but under load at around 1500 rpm it started to sound very noisy and has developed a strange surging sound, the rubber end caps on the heat exchanger swell and contract in tune with the surging.
Coming in from a trip yesterday I noticed white smoke or steam coming out of the exhaust, also the engine temp was up slightly.
I'm thinking head gasket, but the coolant was clear of oil.
Any ideas, I'm stumped at the moment.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
My Perkins M30 has developed a problem. It runs ok out of gear, but under load at around 1500 rpm it started to sound very noisy and has developed a strange surging sound, the rubber end caps on the heat exchanger swell and contract in tune with the surging.
Coming in from a trip yesterday I noticed white smoke or steam coming out of the exhaust, also the engine temp was up slightly.
I'm thinking head gasket, but the coolant was clear of oil.
Any ideas, I'm stumped at the moment.
Head gasket doesn't necessarily mean oil in the water, that only happens if there is a leak between an oil way and the water jacket. The most common failure is between a cylinder and the water jacket, that's what your problem could be. You can buy a "block tester" to check it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=block+tester&_sacat=0

michael_w

Visit site
Head gasket failed across an exhaust valve, would give the symptoms you describe, happened to me on my LR Disco 1.

38mess

Visit site
Head gasket doesn't necessarily mean oil in the water, that only happens if there is a leak between an oil way and the water jacket. The most common failure is between a cylinder and the water jacket, that's what your problem could be. You can buy a "block tester" to check it.

block tester for sale | eBay
Thanks Paul. If it's not the head gasket any ideas what it could be?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks Paul. If it's not the head gasket any ideas what it could be?
My money is on the head gasket. I would be cautious starting the engine, in case water leaks back into the cylinder. Before starting i would slowly turn the engine over two full turns of the crankshaft with a socket/spanner.

billskip

Visit site
I don't think so, but would I if the problem is on the exhaust side
If you have a head gasket problem indicating water into a cylinder that water can only come from the indirect system ,which would create a loss of water in your enclosed (radiator) circuit. Are the rubber end caps that are swelling on the fresh or raw water side of the system?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If you have a head gasket problem indicating water into a cylinder that water can only come from the indirect system ,which would create a loss of water in your enclosed (radiator) circuit. Are the rubber end caps that are swelling on the fresh or raw water side of the system?
Not necessarily. Failure of the gasket between a cylinder and the water jacket can cause the coolant to be pressurised, there often isn't water getting back into the cylinder, as the water jacket isn't under the same pressure as a cylinder would be. Of course, a big leak can result in water getting back into the cylinder, as you say.

Simple way is to carry out a block test.

38mess

Visit site
Swelling on both sides

billskip

Visit site
Not necessarily. Failure of the gasket between a cylinder and the water jacket can cause the coolant to be pressurised, there often isn't water getting back into the cylinder, as the water jacket isn't under the same pressure as a cylinder would be. Of course, a big leak can result in water getting back into the cylinder, as you say.

Simple way is to carry out a block test.
I did say " indicating water getting into a cylinder "..yes it could be pressurising the indirect side which would surely overpressure the system and the cap would release.
Why should he be cautious of cranking if no water in cylinder ?
Its best to do testing as you say, but the equipment required may not be available and if purchased never used again. That said, there's nothing worse than changing a HG only to find its something else.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I did say " indicating water getting into a cylinder "..yes it could be pressurising the indirect side which would surely overpressure the system and the cap would release.
Why should he be cautious of cranking if no water in cylinder ?
Because he doesn't know if there is water in a cylinder. If there is, cranking on the starter can easily bend a conrod.
Its best to do testing as you say, but the equipment required may not be available and if purchased never used again. That said, there's nothing worse than changing a HG only to find its something else.
The test kit is les than £15, takes minutes to do and i posted a link above.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Paul, last night the guys on the trawler next door came to have a look, the skipper against my better judgement poured some head gasket sealant in which has turned the coolant pink, would the test still work?
Yes, it detects exhaust gases in the header tank.

I would be extremely pissed if someone tipped anything into one of my engines.